PDA

View Full Version : Oval Skew or Traditional Skew?

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-06-2008, 3:09 PM
I was wondering How many people perfer the oval skew to the traditional skew. I have never actually used a oval skew myself so I'd like to here from people who have used both, which do you perfer & why.

Ron Ainge
10-06-2008, 3:16 PM
Joe

I have a one half and a one inch skew in both the oval and the regular flat type. and my go to in most cases is a half inch flat skew that I bought in a kit from HF. I use all of them for different reasons but the cheap one is the one I grab normally.

David Walser
10-06-2008, 3:56 PM
I prefer a traditional skew to an oval skew. When I was learning to turn I took a week-long course at Craft Supplies and was given both skews to use. From the start, the traditional shape just felt right while the oval skew felt less stable -- more apt to roll when I didn't want it to.

This is just a matter of personal preference. It's like choosing between redheads, blonds, and brunettes. There's no wrong choice, here.

Cyril Griesbach
10-06-2008, 4:27 PM
Traditional

Kim Ford
10-06-2008, 4:38 PM
I prefer a traditional skew to an oval skew. When I was learning to turn I took a week-long course at Craft Supplies and was given both skews to use. From the start, the traditional shape just felt right while the oval skew felt less stable -- more apt to roll when I didn't want it to.

This is just a matter of personal preference. It's like choosing between redheads, blonds, and brunettes. There's no wrong choice, here.

I didn't take the course but agree with David.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2008, 4:56 PM
Like most tools...IMHO it depends on what you are used to......my one attempt at using an oval skew was okay but I prefer a flat/rectangular skew. But I know others who prefer the oval skew.

It is another matter of personal taste IMHO.

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2008, 5:13 PM
I prefer the traditional. Never did like the oval.

Ron McKinley
10-06-2008, 6:20 PM
...and I'm equally bad with either! Actually, I prefer the 1/2" oval in tight places like pens and finials. For larger work I go to traditional 1" and 1 1/4"...Ron

RL Johnson
10-06-2008, 7:58 PM
I prefer the traditional, it has more mass for the same size width, so that when you are for over the tool rest it does not chatter as much. It is also much easier for me to sharpen .

Allen Neighbors
10-06-2008, 9:42 PM
Like Ron, I'm equally bad with either. But I have a 1" of each. I prefer the traditional. I shake like an Aspen Leaf, so it's much easier with the flat one. :D

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a couple of traditional that came with my HF set (1/2" & 1") and also picked up a 1" oval. Have used them all multiple times and prefer the traditional 1" to anything else. The oval works well but seems like I have to struggle to keep it from rolling. That problem is not with the tool - it's just me not using it enough to have good control. Never had a problem with roll with a traditional!

Keith Christopher
10-07-2008, 6:04 AM
I have both but I personally like the oval, I like the ability to easily roll the tool when I need to, seems to transition easier. But the traditional is good at other times. I mostly use an the oval though. I think it slides easier. I even rounded the corners of the traditional one a little to make it slide easier.

Much like blondes, redheads, brunettes......Not a bad idea to have one of each. :)

Horst Hohoff
10-07-2008, 6:38 AM
Usually the oval skew is advertised to slide better on the toolrest than the traditional one. This may be true, but on the other hand the oval is thinner and therefor more prone to chatter. Furthermore it doesn't sit in my Tormek sharpening jig as tight as the traditional one. For me the best solution is the ROLLED EDGE CHISEL as f. ex. HAMLET produces. It is as thick as a standard chisel but comes with rounded sides so it glides easily on the toolrest.

Horst

Claude Arragon
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I was wondering How many people perfer the oval skew to the traditional skew. I have never actually used a oval skew myself so I'd like to here from people who have used both, which do you perfer & why.That is what I call the 1.000.000 answers question. I must say I use both but my favourite and by far is the oval one. I find it smoother to use, but that is probably because I do not use the traditional one as often.

Brad Trent
10-07-2008, 2:11 PM
Though I haven't had a lot of recent experience -- just getting back into turning after many years -- I have been using an oval skew most of the time. I don't have any worse control with the oval than the traditional, and it does seem to slide a little easier. My biggest problem is sharpening. I've taken to honing on sandpaper really frequently rather than trying to run it on a grinder.

JerHall
10-07-2008, 9:45 PM
I have both. The rectangular has important advantages:
1. More mass
2. Easier to sharpen
3. When the edges are eased as Lacer shows it rolls more consistently in what is already a complex move.
4. Much more stable especially in a "V" and guillotine cut

The oval is excellent for dandelions, and digs into the earth very nicely.

Brodie Brickey
10-08-2008, 1:07 AM
It depends...what I'm turning. There are times when I'm doing a long peel and trying not to be too aggressive with the cut, I reach for the oval. The oval I have isn't as thick and the angle is less extreme that my traditional.

I do like the traditional for its solid feel on the tool rest, the oval moves more. The sharper angle of the traditional allows me to get into some spots that I can't reach as easily with an oval skew.

I will say, getting a consistent grind on the oval is more difficult due to its preference to 'roll' when sharpening. I could probably make a fancy jig or buy one, but I've been 'free handing with support' on skews and scrapers for a long time.

Dwight VanSickle
10-08-2008, 1:29 AM
I have two traditional skews and use them both, I have had 1on1 instruction on how to use the skew. I have been using them at every chance I can.

keith zimmerman
10-08-2008, 11:12 PM
traditional