PDA

View Full Version : Whew...IT'S finally here....

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 12:48 AM
I got up early this morning and had a nice pleasant drive to Sacramento to pick up my MM20.

It is amazing but in general, all the woodworkers I've met are such nice people. This guy spent 2 hours with me in his shop and even went over tuning his FS41 (I've got one on order) and the MM20. He had a ton of wood around and even let me have a few nice figured pieces of maple to add to my own collection.

Anyway, loading up went pretty smoothly but as you can see, I didn't quite figure out how to unload it. My truck's bed height met up with his shop floor height so it was pretty easy to load up. Now I gotta figure out a way to unload it. This thing weights north of 500 lbs. so I need to be careful. I built a long ramp with a pair of 2x12s and 4x4 legs and tomorrow night my neighbor and I will push it down the ramp and set it upright. I think it should go okay.

So the truck gets to spend the night in the garage and I need to get a cord/plug wired up as well. Too bad the mobility kit hasn't arrived from MiniMax yet!

Too cool...this is a monster of a machine! :D

aurelio alarcon
05-17-2004, 12:56 AM
nice Chris, very nice indeed! How much does that thing weigh?

Jim Becker
05-17-2004, 8:16 AM
Congrats on the new saw, Chris! You'll really enjoy it.

Umm...getting it off would have been a piece of cake if you had put it in the other way around with the base to the back of the truck. You could have then tilted it down with the help of one person and set it upright directly off the back of the truck. You're going to have to use the ramp that you described to get it down and flat on the floor (suggest some cardboard on the ramp and floor to insure you don't scratch it) so you can tilt it up. You may want to have more than one person since you'll need to do a little more lifting in this situation. Don't do anything to hurt yourself by not having enough help!

Tyler Howell
05-17-2004, 8:54 AM
OOOOOOOO! AAAAAAAAAAH!:cool:

Steven Wilson
05-17-2004, 9:08 AM
Nice haul. If you have a gantry crane or a long engine hoist that can help haul it out (there are lift points on the top of the frame). You might want to take the table off, it's heavy and if you hit a big bump (or drop it), you're likely to crack the trunnion.

Mark Singer
05-17-2004, 9:32 AM
Chris,
Looks Great! Enjoy it!

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Congrats on the new saw, Chris! You'll really enjoy it.

Umm...getting it off would have been a piece of cake if you had put it in the other way around with the base to the back of the truck. You could have then tilted it down with the help of one person and set it upright directly off the back of the truck. You're going to have to use the ramp that you described to get it down and flat on the floor (suggest some cardboard on the ramp and floor to insure you don't scratch it) so you can tilt it up. You may want to have more than one person since you'll need to do a little more lifting in this situation. Don't do anything to hurt yourself by not having enough help!
Jim,

We decided to put the heaviest end towards the cab/middle of the truck for better balance and securing. After all, I had 150 miles in front of me. I don't know what you recall of the Bay Area, but the interstate running through Livermore (I-580) is so windy that they've placed about a 100 windmills on top of the pass (Altamount Pass). I was getting blown pretty good and that BS was acting like a sail!

We may still stand it up, turn it around, push it to the tailgate, and lay it back down again (or push it down the ramp that way). My neighbor wasn't available yesterday when I finally got home and after wrestling and thinking for a couple hours, I decided to build the ramp (god, I love pocket screws and scrap wood!) and wait until he was around.

I should have it standing this evening. :)

Thanks for all the accolades...this should really help me push my expensive figured lumber further!

Rob Littleton
05-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Nice haul dude.........

Sorry I aint there to 'elp yu...

If you can wait til next Monday (yeah right) I'll be back in SJ.

Enjoy

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Nice haul. If you have a gantry crane or a long engine hoist that can help haul it out (there are lift points on the top of the frame). You might want to take the table off, it's heavy and if you hit a big bump (or drop it), you're likely to crack the trunnion.
Thanks! While wrestling with it myself, I did run some strapping through those two holes...I was hoping that was what they were for! :o

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Nice haul dude.........

Sorry I aint there to 'elp yu...

If you can wait til next Monday (yeah right) I'll be back in SJ.

Enjoy
Thanks, Rob. :) Actually, my neighbor has a large window going into the front of his house and will have 3-4 buddies over this Saturday. I *might* (highly doubtful) wait until then to move Da Beast. :)

Bob Hovde
05-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Chris,

Nice machine! But - be careful moving it. It's amazing what that much weight can do. I decided to move my new PM 3520 :) yesterday and threw together some skateboards from a couple of boards and some furniture moving casters. The casters claimed to hold 200 lbs each (three wheels), but one bent when I let the load down on it. When I pushed, little bearings sprayed all over the garage floor. :eek:

Bob

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Bob...you betcha. I'm being very careful here...no hurry at all. I want no one hurt and my investment sound! After all, I got it all the way home (150 miles)...wouldn't that just kill me to break it moving it the last 2 feet?

John Miliunas
05-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Congrats! :D Don't know about you, Chris, but it would just be killing me to see that beast laying on its back in the back of the truck and yet, still be in the shop, all at the same time! :rolleyes: But alas, you're absolutely right in waiting for the cavalry to arrive and give you an assist. I ended up doing the same thing when I took delivery of my Bridgewood TS. I really didn't take that much more than I could've done myself, but I would've risked hurting myself, the machine or both! NOT a good idea. Have fun and keep us posted to progress! :cool:

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 1:46 PM
nice Chris, very nice indeed! How much does that thing weigh?
The web site claims 568 lbs. for this beast. It feels all of it and more! :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2004, 1:48 PM
Congrats, Chris! Becareful handling that beast! I'm jealous! After my shop's done, a b/s is the first major purchase that I'll need to make! Again, congrats!

Dave Anderson NH
05-17-2004, 4:01 PM
While you know that I'm a Neander type, I still use the powered stuff occasionally. You did well with getting a big bandsaw and will never regret it. Of all the powered tools in the shop the I use the bandsaw the most. The aggravation of having to move yours off the truck will pale when it's upright on the shop floor and the weight acts to your advantage as dampening. Big and heavy iron can't be beat for stable and vibration free operation.

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 4:40 PM
Thanks, Dave. I don't know if you recall but my father found a really old piece of iron in the form of a Walker-Turner Bandsaw (estimated built in the 40-50s). It was a 16" one and weighs in at a massive 700 lbs.--even heavier than the MM20. It is solid cast iron...nary a piece of sheetmetal to be found on it.

I hear every weekend how he is having so much fun with the bandsaw (He found it, I paid for it...supposed to be sent to me some time in the future) that when I saw the MM20 up for sale, I decided to give dear old dad the W-T BS for Father's Day coming up. He doesn't know I have the MM20...I can hardly wait to tell him...almost slipped yesterday on the phone with him! :D

Bruce Page
05-17-2004, 6:17 PM
Chris,
I know that reputable people have said this before but,

OOOOOOOO!! AAAAAAAAAAH!!!
a sweet, sweet machine, slobber, slobber!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon4.gif http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon4.gif I agree with Steven, I would remove that table before I moved it another inch!

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 7:15 PM
haha...take it easy there, Bruce, mi amigo! :)

However, you guys have convinced me to go ahead and take the table off so I'll look into it tonight. The table actually got a bit loose since we were using it to grab onto and drag the BS into my truck.

Byron Trantham
05-17-2004, 7:32 PM
So much for complaining about moving a Unisaw down six staris to my basement! :rolleyes:

Nice saw!

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 7:41 PM
Congrats, Chris! Becareful handling that beast! I'm jealous! After my shop's done, a b/s is the first major purchase that I'll need to make! Again, congrats!
Thanks, Ken. This is my first bandsaw (nice first machine, eh? :) ) and I guess I went all out for a good one. When the FS41 arrives (MiniMax 16" J/P Combo), my little Grizzly 1023Z 10" TS is going to feel out of place with all that European might surrounding it! :D

My wife assures me that she will expect BIG things coming out of the garage...I aim to please! :D

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 7:43 PM
So much for complaining about moving a Unisaw down six staris to my basement! :rolleyes:

Nice saw!
Thanks, Byron. I don't know, I have weight and height over you but you do have further to drop I think. Of course, mine is straight down from the bed of a truck but my nice long ramp (incline plane) will make the trip longer but easier. :)

Earl Kelly
05-17-2004, 9:07 PM
Chris, great bandsaw. Hope you enjoy using it. I've unloaded heavy items using a stand to support one end and a come-a-long or chainfall to ease it to the floor.

Kent Cori
05-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Chris,

Looks like you've got a great new toy there but I think you over did it with the mobile base. :D

Chris Padilla
05-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Earl...looking forward to uprighting it and plugging it in one of these days! :D

Kent, you have a good point there not to mention that I'll have to redo the table to tilt it 90-degrees so I can resaw really short boards since the bed of the mobile base will limit the length of my stock. :p

My neighbor was busy crying over watching the San Jose Sharks get their lunch fed to them by the Calgary Flames last night so I decided to not bug him with moving Da Beast. Tonight, however, I am getting his butt over! I picked up a couple 2' x 4' Melamine coated pieces of hardboard to provide a slick surface to glide this bandsaw. For some reason, the orange borg was well-staffed last night and I got through the pay line rather quickly! :)

Dominic Greco
05-18-2004, 12:34 PM
....Tonight, however, I am getting his butt over! I picked up a couple 2' x 4' Melamine coated pieces of hardboard to provide a slick surface to glide this bandsaw....

First off, I am soooo jealous of your new bandsaw! You lucky ^%*^$! :D

Smart move getting the help. Like you said, you don't want to truck it 150 or so miles to have it break 2 feet from your door!

Seriously, you know have a premium machine that will be around forever. I can only imagine how antsy I'd be with that monster just sitting in the back of my truck. I can't wait to hear how it operates for you.

Chuck Wintle
05-18-2004, 4:56 PM
Just curious if you bought it new or second hand?

Chris Padilla
05-18-2004, 5:26 PM
Charles,

I bought it used. It is about 1.5 years old but was hardly used as the guy was quite busy. It still has the original blade it came with and is still sharp and cuts nicely! :) The guy I bought it from wants to move up to the MM24 w/Power Feeder.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 10:56 AM
My neighbor was available this evening and I have to tell you, unloading this thing couldn't have been easier. We gave it a good push and it went down the ramp slicker than poop through a goose! :) Then we lifted it up at the end and shoved it back some. All told, not more than 90 seconds elapsed to move it the final two feet! :D

We were both surprised how easy/quick it was to move. I'll take these kinds of surprises any day of the week. :rolleyes:

Well, next is electrical and I sure hope the mobile base arrives soon...I gotta shove this thing in the corner and allow it to start gathering dust! :eek:

Tim Sproul
05-19-2004, 11:06 AM
MASSIVE!

makes me think my 14 inch Jet is a child's toy :eek:

Chris, what is the resaw capability on that? Is it greater than 18 inches?

I ask...'cause you offered and I've a walnut plank I *MAY* want to resaw to 4/4.......

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 11:08 AM
A man and his machine. Is there anything like it? Congrats Chirs. Have fun.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 11:12 AM
MASSIVE!

makes me think my 14 inch Jet is a child's toy :eek:

Chris, what is the resaw capability on that? Is it greater than 18 inches?

I ask...'cause you offered and I've a walnut plank I *MAY* want to resaw to 4/4.......
15.75" is the resaw capability, Tim. I still hope I can help you out, however! :confused:

Earl Kelly
05-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Chris, nice ramp. Looks like you could drive a truck up it. The BS is even more impressive standing upright. Is that a recoiling air hose hanging down in the pic? If so do you like it and does it work good. I've air lines stubbed out that I would want to do that with.

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 11:14 AM
A man and his machine. Is there anything like it? Congrats Chris. Have fun.
:D Thanks, Jason! I intend to have fun learning how to use this machine. Looks like Tim is getting in line to push this sucker to the limit...I'm up to the challenge! :D

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Chris, nice ramp. Looks like you could drive a truck up it. The BS is even more impressive standing upright. Is that a recoiling air hose hanging down in the pic? If so do you like it and does it work good. I've air lines stubbed out that I would want to do that with.
Ramp: Scrap wood and pocket screws...30 minutes max to throw it together...5 to tear it apart! :(

To get a better shot of that air hose coil, see here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8955 and scroll to the fourth or fifth post in that thread.

I love the location. A 50' centrally located coil and I can reach everything I need and a flick of the wrist, it is gone and out of the way. Notice where I have my air compressor, too! :eek:

Tim Sproul
05-19-2004, 11:32 AM
:D

I'm planning a hall/glove table or console for my sister....it would be her long overdue birthday present and, at the rate I'm going, her Christmas present as well.. :D.

I've got many walnut planks in the 20 inch width and was planning a depth of 16 inches to the table.......hence a need to resaw a plank a bit wider than 16 inches.

I may reconsider the dimensions....you've got the biggest bandsaw of anyone I "know" - in quotes since we've never actually met. And there is NO WAY I'm going to try and resaw a 6 foot by 20 inch wide plank by hand.... :eek:

Don't even think of mentioning doing anything sacrilegious as ripping any of those wonderful wwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddeeee boards :mad:

Let me ponder the options.... :)

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 11:42 AM
:D

I'm planning a hall/glove table or console for my sister....it would be her long overdue birthday present and, at the rate I'm going, her Christmas present as well.. :D.

I've got many walnut planks in the 20 inch width and was planning a depth of 16 inches to the table.......hence a need to resaw a plank a bit wider than 16 inches.

I may reconsider the dimensions....you've got the biggest bandsaw of anyone I "know" - in quotes since we've never actually met. And there is NO WAY I'm going to try and resaw a 6 foot by 20 inch wide plank by hand.... :eek:

Don't even think of mentioning doing anything sacrilegious as ripping any of those wonderful wwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddeeee boards :mad:

Let me ponder the options.... :)
If you know a good welder...a riser kit could be made available! :eek:

Ripping? :confused: What is that? Weeeellllll, ripping and jointing and glue could do miracles if we are cccckkkkaaarrreeeeffffffuuuulllllll..... :p

Wait until my 16" Jointer/Planer from MiniMax shows up and I bet we could handle those 20" wide boards. :D

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 2:14 PM
Chris...all of a sudden you got shorter! (Nice saw! Use it safely and OFTEN...)

Chris Padilla
05-19-2004, 3:06 PM
Ha! Let's see, I think the machine is 74" tall...and I'm 67" short.... :(

Wes Bischel
05-19-2004, 4:31 PM
Chris,

What I'd like to know is how many shots it took to catch you not grinning from ear to ear! :eek:

Really nice saw - I'm sure it's going to be a joy to use.

Wes

Bruce Page
05-19-2004, 8:44 PM
Cool! :cool: All you need is a little juice and you'll be in complete and unadulterated nirvana! :D :D :D

Kelly C. Hanna
05-19-2004, 8:51 PM
Nice haul Chris!! I know you'll enjoy the machine once you get it into it's new space.

Tim Sproul
05-20-2004, 12:28 PM
we're all still waiting to see some that sawdust.....

Chris Padilla
05-20-2004, 5:18 PM
Thanks, again, Guys. I picked up a box/outlet and I still need to find a nice cord to use for the BS. I also probably need a couple new breakers for my main panel. It is nice that I have 150 A service into my garage (100 A is tapped off for the panel that feeds the house) so I think I've plenty there to work with. Do I need 10 awg wire for this bandsaw? The motor is 4.8 HP, 240 V. That is about a 15-16 A draw. I guess 12 awg will be fine. I'm using those twist-lock outlets/plugs...rated for 30 A...pricey little suckers.

MiniMax is sending out the mobility kit today and having the 1" Lenox Carbide saw blade drop shipped directly to me.

Tim, I still have some sawdust in the BS from when I was using at the guy's place in Sacramento!! Wanna pic of that? ;) A decent pile fell out while we were uprighting it. :)

Tim Sproul
05-20-2004, 5:27 PM
Thanks, again, Guys. I picked up a box/outlet and I still need to find a nice cord to use for the BS. I also probably need a couple new breakers for my main panel. It is nice that I have 150 A service into my garage (100 A is tapped off for the panel that feeds the house) so I think I've plenty there to work with. Do I need 10 awg wire for this bandsaw? The motor is 4.8 HP, 240 V. That is about a 15-16 A draw. I guess 12 awg will be fine.

I'd definitely get #10. You'll have a certain length run and #12 would be the minimum for a relatively short length. You spent a good chunk on that bandsaw...don't go cheaping out on an extra $10 worth of wire. The #10 will also help out with the start-up current load. By my numbers, 16A would be the maximum draw if you assume 100% efficiency.....better plan on it drawing 20A if you push the motor to 4.8 HP......and quickly resawing a 10 inch hard maple plank may well do it.

That sawdust don't count. No sir. Gotta be sawdust made in u'r shop.

Chris Padilla
05-20-2004, 5:30 PM
Yes, Sir! 10 awg it is! :) Yeah, you're right...I did make the sawdust but it wasn't my wood nor in MY shop! :D 10" hard maple...now where (o' where) am I gonna get a log like that? :confused: ;)

Jim Becker
05-20-2004, 5:36 PM
Chris, you have the same motor as my FS350 on that saw...#10 wire and 30amp is what you want. Make up your cord the same way. I did mine with #10-3 rubber coated from the 'borg with twist locks on cord, pigtail and the outlet.

Chris Padilla
05-20-2004, 6:14 PM
Double salute to both Jim and Tim...#10 is what I'll use for both the extension cord and wall plug and all future 3-5 HP stuff. I have my Bill Pentz/Clarke Echols DC kit to put together and that baby uses a 5 HP Leeson motor...it'll get its own breaker in the box. Finally, same deal for the aircraft carrier coming (the FS-41 Elite!). :D

Steven Wilson
05-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Chris, Check the FLA on the bandsaw it's more like 22A (IIRC). You will need to wire in a 30A circuit with 10ga wire. BTW, if you end up getting a CU300 or CU350 it takes the same circuit so you can share

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Steve.

FYI, I picked up 3 2-pole 30 A breakers last night along with 25' of the soft rubber 10/3 cord. I also picked up 3 spools of 500' of red, white, and black #10 wire along with some boxes and 3/4" flex conduit. I'm going to rewire my garage and will just run #10 everywhere...screw it. How many conductors are allowed in a single 3/4" piece of flex? I think there is a deregulation of the amp capacity or something like that.

It is nice having a 150 A service and lots of open slots and having that box on one of my garage walls! :D :D

Steven Wilson
05-21-2004, 3:08 PM
I also picked up 3 spools of 500' of red, white, and black #10 wire along with some boxes and 3/4" flex conduit. I'm going to rewire my garage and will just run #10 everywhere...screw it. How many conductors are allowed in a single 3/4" piece of flex? I think there is a deregulation of the amp capacity or something like that.

Well, I would also pickup a roll of Green wire (for the ground). I'm not a fan of having the conduit act as the only ground. Anyhow, it's time that you went to your local book store and picked up a copy of the NEC. You might also want to pick up one of the books that explains the NEC. You are about to go on a journey to learn about branch services, conduit fill calculations, derating, and how many wires can you stuff in a box. For this journey you will need the tables found in the NEC. As to your question "How many conductors are allowed in a single 3/4" piece of flex?" I don't know, but I do that I'll find it in the NEC. BTW, why flex and what kind of flex? I like using 3/4" (or 1/2") EMT and just bend the stuff when I need to. Besides the number of wires that you can put in a piece of conduit you'll also need to know how many wires can you have terminate or pass through a junction box (i.e. where you install a receptical) and that depends on the volume of the junction box. The boxes will be your limiting factor. BTW, once you figure box fill and conduit fill with 10ga wire you'll want to figure it out using 12ga wire too! You'll find that you can stuff a lot more wire if you properly size the wire.

Have fun

Chris Padilla
05-21-2004, 3:13 PM
Sigh...I saw some books on this stuff...guess I should buy the darn thing now! :)