PDA

View Full Version : My bandsaw is in

Matt Campbell
10-06-2008, 2:02 PM
I ordered the G0513x2 last week, and it arrived at the terminal today. I'm about to go pick it up. Is this something me and another guy can handle unloading out of my truck bed? Here's my plan:

1st: We'll "walk" it from the back of the cab to the tailgate.

2nd: I'll put one end of a 2 x 6 against my tailgate and the other end on the ground.

3rd: We'll lean the bandsaw back and put one end on the 2 x 6s so it can ride down to the ground. Of course we'll be slowly controlling it the whole way.

From there I'll just have to "walk" it again maybe 5 feet. Does anyone see a problem here?

AL Ursich
10-06-2008, 2:06 PM
I will help.... Just drive it over to my shop and I will give you a hand unloading it into my shop. :D

:rolleyes:AL

Cary Falk
10-06-2008, 2:32 PM
I would be afraid the 2x6 would slide out from you. I would be inclined in your situation to walke it to the tailgate. Screw on 2 or 3 2x6s like skiis to the pallet. Slowly lower the skiis to the ground. Repete with the back end of the skiis.

alex grams
10-06-2008, 2:36 PM
It isn't that heavy, but is bulky and cumbersome. I agree in that it should work just be careful the 2x6's don't slip out from under you.

Anthony Whitesell
10-06-2008, 2:52 PM
I was thinking of that option for myself as well. I was thinking of removing the tailgate and laying the 2x's on the bumper. The next option I had was using an topless flatbed style snowmobile trailer, they aren't nearly as high from the ground.

Since I don't have the "other guy" and the terminal is 1 1/2 hours each way (or $18 in gas), I opted for the lift gate for $39.

I hoping he has a pallet jack that I can "borrow" for 5 minutes" that would get it to the top of my driveway. From there I have ~66 feet of lawn to traverse to the walk-out basement door. I'm hoping my handtruck will be big and stable enough to get it over lawn and door threshold and into the basement.

I have the camera on charge for the photos. I think this will be a hoot.

Chris Holder
10-06-2008, 3:13 PM
Hi Matt,

I bought the saw saw a month ago and a friend and I unloaded it without too much problem. Its heavy enough, but the two of you should be able to lower it to the ground without issue. The 2X6 things seems a little scary to me.

Matt Campbell
10-06-2008, 6:06 PM
Well, I made it home with the saw......but not without excitement. Instead of using my truck bed, I took a trailer. I pulled away from the terminal thinking I had the bandsaw strapped down sufficiently. Boy, was I wrong. :(

I cautiously approached the first red light with very light, steady braking after driving 20-25 mph (Hey, I can't be too cautious, can I?), and who cares if the "homies" behind me get upset about my slow speed anyway? So I stopped at the light, and maybe 1 second later.......BAM! It all came toppling down onto the front rail of the trailer. It felt like someone rear ended me.

After I got home and changed my pants, I inspected everything, and it all seems fine. Whew! Here's a pic of where it rode. You can see the front rail that it fell on.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL711/5021821/15740745/337583655.jpg

Of course I just had to laugh at this:

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL711/5021821/15740745/337583643.jpg

So now I'm just waiting on a neighbor to get home. I'm going to dolly it down the tailgate, and from there I'll only need to go a few feet.

Matt Campbell
10-06-2008, 6:22 PM
I decided to go ahead and try it by myself. No big deal actually. I just leaned it back on my dolly and slowly rolled it in place. Much easier than I had anticipated.

Andy Casiello
10-06-2008, 7:14 PM
:eek::eek:

Uh, I think I'll lay mine over when I pick it up. Yikes. That must have been quite a sound..

Glad it wasn't hurt too bad..

Matt Campbell
10-06-2008, 7:17 PM
I definitely recommend laying it over. :D

Steve Clardy
10-06-2008, 7:41 PM

Yep........ :D

Cary Falk
10-06-2008, 7:41 PM
I opted for the $25 lift gate service for this very reason. I am hoping it will get here by Friday.

Dave Lehnert
10-06-2008, 8:03 PM
I know it sounds heavy but it should not be too bad. I work in retail and customers act like a 40lb bag of top soil is going to bust the springs in the car. (But their wife/husband at 250lbs + is no problem???)
Of course I was younger but use to deliver riding mowers by myself. Getting it out of the back of a delivery truck was not a problem at all.
Skids you see clerks pulling around in a store with a pallet jack weight in at times @2,400lbs. (Soil, bird seed, bottle water etc..)
With the help of a friend 400lbs should be no problem at all.

Dave Lehnert
10-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Keep us up to date how assembly goes and everything. Still debating on pulling the trigger on one myself. If you take any more pic's I would like to see one with a person standing next to it. Having a hard time picturing the overall size of the thing.

Mike Wilkins
10-07-2008, 8:41 AM
I know how you feel about unloading a large heavy machine. I took delivery of a Laguna LT18 in 2001 without the use of a lift gate or other machanical devices. We slid the saw down the back of the truck to my pickup, where I was left to figure out the rest.
I just gently slid it down to the ground, where the heavy cast iron table was removed (it was not installed on the machine; just inside the crate). Then I just used a pair of hand trucks to muscle it into the shop. In the middle of August with 95 degree heat.
It can be done solo; just remember to use your legs for lifting, move slowly but deliberately and make sure you have firm footing.
By the way; congrats on the new iron. Stay safe and watch those fingers.

Gary McKown
10-07-2008, 9:24 AM
Ditto removing the table and fence (loose), cabinet doors, and CI trunnions (four bolts) on the G0513X2 to lighten the load.

I removed all of the crate materials except the pallet base - easy handling from there. In the shop, tipped it over on its back, removed the pallet, then uprighted it directly onto the mobile base. Piece of cake.

Greg Cole
10-07-2008, 11:13 AM

But most decidely not with your method....;) Me no likey the "kaboom" method for MY tools anyway.
Mine rode home laid on it's back in the back of my truck. I made a ramp with 2 two by's and a piece of plywood screwed to the 2 by's. Slide the bottom end of the 2by's up to the lip into the garage and they don't move. Slide down ramp and stand up, easy peasy. I moved mine solo that way, jointer and cabinet saw too.

Conrgats on the saw Matt. I like mine a bunch. BTW, I see you post more lumber on another forum, do you not get enough business here?

Whoever was asking about size.... I am 6'2" and the saw it a bit taller than I am. Footprint is "guesstimated" at about 24" x 24" and maybe 78" tall without a mobile base.

Russ Massery
10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I too picked mine up at the terminal. I had the forklift operator set on the back of my pickup. After looking at the way it was crated. I laid it down very slowly. It made it home just fine. I just felt that if I strapped it over the top. I would crush the crate and I could see it come tumbling down. I've been very happy with mine. I had it about two years now. It's the older G0513X version. Congrats on the new saw.

Cary Falk
10-08-2008, 9:06 AM
My G0513x2 arrived at the terminal this morning.:D Unfortunately it is not getting delivered til Friday between 10AM and 2PM due to my work schedule:(

Robby Tacheny
10-08-2008, 3:04 PM
Its not quite the same saw, but I am taking delivery of my GO555x tomorrow. I paid the $39 extra and got lift gate service.

Unfortunately I have a basement shop, so I have to get that beast down 6 or 8 steep stairs. Not sure what yours weigh, but it looks like mine is clocking in at 250lbs. Ouch !

I *may* have help. Anyway I feel your pain!

Beez

Andy Casiello
10-08-2008, 3:09 PM
My G0513x2 arrived at the terminal this morning.:D Unfortunately it is not getting delivered til Friday between 10AM and 2PM due to my work schedule:(

For some reason mine isn't shipping unit today, although I paid for it on Sunday. Oh well. It will probably be at the terminal tomorrow, but I'm going to do lift gate service as well so it will be next week before they can deliver.

Chris Padilla
10-08-2008, 3:30 PM
So how's the drift on that baby after the big wake-up call?! ;)

Guy Germaine
10-18-2008, 5:08 AM
I got mine from the Grizzly showroom in Springfield, MO. It was a 3 1/2 ride home, so I had them lay it on its back. It rode perfectly well that way. When I got home, I backed the truck up to the garage (shop) door. I slid it off the truck far enough to take about 18" of the bottom of the crate off. I also bought a mobile base, so once I had the bottom of the crate off, I put the base together, then clamped it in place on the saw. Then, I just slid the whole thing off until it teetered on the tailgate, set the bottom down, and stood it up. Once I had it standing, I just took the rest of the crate apart.

Jake Helmboldt
10-18-2008, 9:20 AM
Guy's approach is similar to mine. Unloading a big BS from a pickup bed is really pretty easy; I did it by myself with a come-along to get it far enough onto the tailgate to allow it to gently lower it to the ground and then simply stand it upright.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I used a different approach. My bandsaw was placed in the shop by the guy from Fedex Ground. He, a neighbor and I pushed and pulled it down 100' of gravel driveway while my neighbor and I moved sheets of plywood for the pallet jack to roll on. Once in my shop, I used a Little Giant Ladder with a very small chain hoist attached to the ladder to lift the 487 lb. monster off the pallets. Yup, they shipped mine on 2 pallets with a crate nailed to the top pallet.

glenn bradley
10-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Weren't there some other posts here last night?

Steve Clardy
10-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Weren't there some other posts here last night?

Yep......:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2008, 12:06 PM
The posts you are talking about....the posters deleted their posts themselves without any Mod intervention.

glenn bradley
10-18-2008, 3:01 PM
No problem, I was just following along a little after my bedtime and gave a quick look. I intended to pick it up this morning and couldn't remember if something was gone or if I just mis-remembered where the thread stopped.

glenn bradley
10-18-2008, 3:02 PM
If you take any more pic's I would like to see one with a person standing next to it. Having a hard time picturing the overall size of the thing.

Just for you Dave. I'm 6 foot even and the saw in on a Shop Fox mobile base.

Steve Clardy
10-20-2008, 1:51 PM
Listing does state it fell over...:confused:

Mike OMelia
10-20-2008, 1:53 PM
I have a brand new Grizzly G0513X2 17" Bandsaw 2HP w/Cast Iron Trunnion. It's only 2 days old, and I've only made 3 test cuts with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I even cleaned the grease off the cast iron table top. I'm asking $1000 even or best offer. If you buy from Grizzly like I did, it will cost you $1046 so save a little money by buying mine, or make me an offer. Call me at 423-883-9929 with any questions. I'd be happy to let you see it.

That what is says when I click on that link. Not so for you Steve?

Steve Clardy
10-20-2008, 1:58 PM
C&P from ad..

I have a brand new Grizzly G0513X2 17" Bandsaw 2HP w/Cast Iron Trunnion. It's only 2 days old, and I've only made 3 test cuts with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I even cleaned the grease off the cast iron table top. I'm asking $1000 even or best offer. If you buy from Grizzly like I did, it will cost you $1046 so save a little money by buying mine, or make me an offer. Call me at 423-883-9929 with any questions. I'd be happy to let you see it and use it. Note: When driving the bandsaw home, it did fall over in my trailer onto a rail. However, the heavy wooden crate protected it from any damage. It runs perfectly, and the table is still flat. I checked it with my Veritas straight edge which is flat to within .00015".