PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder plane or smoother ?

James K Peterson
10-06-2008, 1:15 PM
After trimming/adjusting a bunch of mortise and tennons with chisels and a block plane. I'm leaning toward getting a new LV medium shoulder plane before I get the LV BU smoother. I've been getting by ;) with my LV BU jack (actually the jack is better at smoothing than my old No4).

I was thinking about just getting a 50deg BU blade for the jack and the LV medium shoulder for now (about the same price) instead of the BU smoother.

What do you all think?
Thanks
James

Zahid Naqvi
10-06-2008, 1:31 PM
the shoulder plane is really valueable for "truing" M&T joints, I use mine quite a bit. While the LV BU jack is used as a smoother by many WWers. I don't own one, but I have used it and is better than most dedicated smooth planes out there. Probably surpassed only by some of the best smoothers. So yes add a blade for the BU Jack and buy a shoulder.

Sean Kinn
10-06-2008, 1:31 PM
Well, since I have the BUS and the medium shoulder plane I can comment on this.

I would get the medium shoulder plane first, if a lot of your projects have tenons to fit/trim. I went through the exact same experience trimming tenons by hand with chisels and a block plane. I then splurged on the medium shoulder plane for a queen size bed project. All I can say is, I don't know why in the heck I didn't get the shoulder plane sooner. It makes it so easy to perfectly fine tune the cheeks and shoulders. I've also used it quite a bit to clean up edges I rabbeted out on the table saw for small box lids.

The BUS is a great smoother, but as you mentioned you've already found that your LV jack is a better smoother than your old #4. The BUS's design also restricts it to smoothing only, thus making it a very specialized tool. I love mine, but with money being a little tight now I find myself questioning its cost/benefit.

Michael Faurot
10-06-2008, 1:35 PM
I was thinking about just getting a 50deg BU blade for the jack and the LV medium shoulder for now (about the same price) instead of the BU smoother.

What do you all think?

I hereby bestow my blessings upon your purchase. :)

Seriously though, if you need a shoulder plane now, more than a smoother--it makes sense to me.

As for the 50 degree blade, I purchased that for my BU jack awhile ago and it's been fabulous when working with difficult grain.

David Keller NC
10-06-2008, 2:37 PM
Well - this is sort of like asking "jointer or planer" (oh wait - this is the neander haven, I meant to say "tenon backsaw or panel saw" :D). In my opinion, you need both, at least if you make furniture with traditional joints.

While it's true that a jack plane will do a fine job smoothing a panel after a jointer plane (or a jointer and planer), it's too darn long for smaller parts. One of the purposes of using a smoothing plane is that there's less work involved in smoothing a part that doesn't require absolute flatness. The jack will ride over low spots, and so to get a shaving off of every bit of the surface to achieve a good finish, you have to take more passes.

While that's no big deal if you're working on something small, for a significant piece of furniture that will significantly increase the work. If you're using a jointer/planer to rough out and square your parts, for example, you can often skip the jack or fore and jointer and go directly to the smoother.