PDA

View Full Version : Laser cutting Styrene

Vaughan Raymond
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Is is safe to laser cut styrene?

Thanks, Vaughan

Joe Pelonio
10-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Safe, yes, but a little tricky. It tends to cut with rolled edges. The thinner the better for clean cuts, otherwise you can do better with less power, more speed, and two passes. Another option for straight cuts is to have the laser score it then break out the pieces.

Vaughan Raymond
10-06-2008, 3:31 PM
I tried the things you suggested and you are right. Many thinks.

David Fairfield
10-07-2008, 3:18 PM
For styrene, use an absurdly low frequency, too. Like 30. Its a tip I got here on the creek, and it works. :)

Dave

Larry Bratton
10-07-2008, 5:34 PM
For styrene, use an absurdly low frequency, too. Like 30. Its a tip I got here on the creek, and it works. :)

Dave
I would think a low frequency would keep the edges from melting.

I have cut that plain old foam styrene blue insulation board with my machine. Stuff cuts very quick and clean. I just guessed at a setting at the time and it worked. I have a sign shop up the road that makes cut out letters with it, paints them with latex paint and sells them for BIG bucks! He had been cutting them by hand for years until I started cutting some for him. However, he won a million dollars on a SC scratch off ticket last year. I suspect he has a laser now, because he ceased to be a customer! Go figure.
It can also be glued with Liquid Nail adhesive.

Joe Pelonio
10-07-2008, 9:26 PM
However, he won a million dollars on a SC scratch off ticket last year. I suspect he has a laser now, because he ceased to be a customer! Go figure.
It can also be glued with Liquid Nail adhesive.
Really, Larry, if you won a million would you buy a piece of equipment for your sign shop with it? :)

I actually bought some of those foam letters years ago from a guy that cut them on the CNC router. Yes, use latex because oil based paints like Krylon and Rustoleum will melt it.