PDA

View Full Version : Box joints fun in the shop.

Ned Bulken
05-17-2004, 12:10 AM
This past week I've been busy in the shop mostly playing on the bandsaw with a 1/8" blade doing some nice tight bandsawn puzzle boxes. Thursday I started working on three box-joint boxes, two for gifts, and one for myself. These were for friends at work, and so I thought how appropriate to use Pallet wood since I work in the trucking industry. I found several pieces of cherry and also some nice maple.
I planed the wood down to 3/8" and modified my box joint jig (previously set up for 1/4") Then I cut the boards to length and width, ran a couple of test joints and then cut the notches. I dadoed out for the bottom, then had to stop for the day, then I realized I would need some tops for the boxes. I jointed and planed some boards down, then glued up three tops. Yesterday I glued up the boxes after cutting the plywood bottoms to size. Today, I got the lids fitted to their boxes, plugged the holes from the dadoes for the bottom and applied a couple of coats of Watco natural after sanding down to finished surface. I cut rabbets in the bottom edges of the lids.
I was going to use the glue and sawdust method to fill the holes, but decided to try something just for the heck of it. I took some cut-offs from the lids and cut tiny plugs, sanded them to fit and glued them in proud, and then when they had dried, I sanded them down flush.
I built these to hold the headsets for the phones at work. I'll get photos tomorrow at work and post them late tomorrow night of two of them. The third is back at the shop, I'll get photos of it when I bring it in to work later this week.

Ned Bulken
05-20-2004, 7:55 AM
http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200405/newboxes1.jpg

the box on the left is maple with maple top

the box on the right is cherry with maple top

http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200405/newboxesopen.jpg

with the lids off, showing off the box bottoms.

Enjoy!

Byron Trantham
05-20-2004, 8:08 AM
Ned, very nice work! I just love using material that might otherwise be thrown away. I am sure your coworkers will love these boxes....my address is... :D

Ned Bulken
05-20-2004, 8:24 AM
Tis funny,
These were not quite prototypes, call them proof of concepts. I had made a 1/4" jig, now I moved up to a 3/8, partially to use thicker stock, partially just to 'make' a better jig. I can easily see myself making a 1/2" jig down the road.

I was looking at fredva (our tracking system abbreviates cities), we had a truck there this morning at the Costco, or was it Sears, one or the other. John keeps threatening to rename our business into Madison Woodsmith and the Boxsmith. These plus puzzle boxes are my latest projects I'm honing skills on. Glad you liked them!