PDA

View Full Version : Campbell Hausfeld Framing Nailer ????

BOB OLINGER
10-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I need a framing nailer for occasional use only. I noticed Lowes has a package deal that includes a framing nailer, crown stapler, and couple of finish/brad nailers for a very good price. Brand is Campbell Hausfeld - I'm aware of this brand on air mechanical tools, but not on woodworking tools. Anyone with a comment, recomendation or not?

Rich Engelhardt
10-07-2008, 6:28 AM
Hello,
Pass on it.
The framing nailer may be Ok, but the finishing nailer ain't.
Neither is the brad nailer.

It's not that they don't work.
They do work, but they leave a lot of marks in the wood.
That's a common trait of low cost nailers - a lack of fine adjustment &/or the need to run them at higher pressures than a better one will comfortably operate at.

Our contractor used one of the CH 16 ga finishing nailers on a pre hung oak door we put in in the downstairs bathroom.
I wanted him to use my Porter Cable, but he wanted to use his CH.

If/when I get some time, I'm going to hook up the PC and drive a nail beside one of his, take a picture, and post it to show the difference.

For "finishing" nailers, be they 23 ga pins, 18 ga brads and/or 16 ga ones, you pay for what you don't see - which is the rectangular depression made by the hammer.

BTW - you can usually get a good deal on a used framing nailer, roofing nailer and/or flooring nailer. A lot of people buy one rather than rent it if their project is one that they spread out the time on. After one or two uses, they turn around and sell it.

For a small job or occasional use, you might want to look at a palm nailer.
Those are extremly handy and since they use regular nails, extremely versitile.

David Ewing
10-07-2008, 3:21 PM
definately pass. I bought one of these packages last year for making a shed and had nothing but problems.

The framing nailer jammed all the time in the hammer slide. I returned it for another one and had the same problems. The last straw was when the nailer "jammed" and misfired causing a nail to bend toward the inside (handle side) and penetrate the aluminum rail that holds the sticks of nails.

The finish nailers are OK...but they also jammed a bit.

I replaced the framing/finish kit with a 3 pc Porter Cable 16 ga, 18 ga, stapler kit. I then bought a passlode framing nailer. I am exceedingly happy with the new purchases. I use the finish nailers alot for projects and the framer for framing rooms in my basement.

Bottom line - you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Roy Fleming
10-07-2008, 6:21 PM
I purchased a close out special CH clip head nailer from The Andersons in toledo Oh for $45. Great buy, no jamming, no problems other than to shoot overhead you have to hold the trigger in place. I have shot about a thousands nails so far.

Craig T. Smith
10-07-2008, 7:36 PM
Bob, I have a Ch brad nailer and I like it alot mine has some adjustment and sets brads to my liking. As for framing nailers I have a Harbor Freight framing nailer that I have shot alittle over 6000 nails with and really like . Happy wooodworking , Craig

Michael Schwartz
10-07-2008, 8:09 PM
I will admit to cheaping out on tools here and there, but nail guns are serious business and you don't want to use one made by the lowest bidder.

My finish guns are all porter cable and I own a senco framing nailer, and have had good luck with all of them.

I would keep a close eye on porter cable though because of rumors of their quality going downhill and being turned into a low cost brand.