PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. I didn't get any shop time this weekend due to being sick for the last 4 days. All I did was take medicine and sleep. I felt really frustrated as I have projects I need to get under way or even finish....but being sick really impacts my ability to physically do anything but lay around and sleep.

I hope this finds all of you as being "healthy" and high spirited.

I wish the best of all weeks to you all. :)

Steven Wilson
05-16-2004, 11:46 PM
Well I'm good and tired. I spent the weekend installing DC duct work. Most of the sub-assemblies are done, the strapping to support the pipe hangers is up, and one of the branches is complete.

The first picture shows the DC (Oneida 2HP cyclone), the main run and the first branch. The first branch will serve the Bandsaw, router table, and the drill press. The second picture shows what's going on at the ceiling, main 7" line splits off into two 6" branches, one going down to service the bandsaw, etc., and the other will service the combo machine and lathe. The third picture shows the Drill Press nestled up in the dust collector. I was happy with the dust collection (locline hose) on the drill press with my last DC so I've found a way to tie into the new DC. The last picture shows the 5" branch terminating into a 3" hose which services the DC.

Now to get on with the rest of the duct work.

Jim Ketron
05-17-2004, 12:14 AM
I did no woodworking this weekend Sat I had to go to an openhouse where my primitive furniture is on display and I probably wont be doing mutch lathe work in a while Ive got a few orders for a some hutches Sun spent the day with the Wife and also made some deer jerky mmmgood!:D

Jim

Todd Burch
05-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Yummmmm - Deer Jerky - Gotta love it Jim!!

Saturday, spent a couple hours finishing up the small pine cabinet I posted. This evening, made 3 upper cabinets (23" wide x 30" tall) for a client. Still have to make a common face frame, cut adjustable shelves to size and prime everything. Maybe another 2 hours or less.

Yard work Saturday and dinner with neighbors. Measured a job, spent a little time working on web site. That's about it.

OH! Saturday my son was moping around and asked me if I wanted to have an "air soft" war with him (a gun that shoots little plastic beads). First I said no, then I said yes, 'cuz I knew it wouldn't take that long. He never told me that the clip only holds 12 rounds. I was running around the yard, firing away, while he calmly hid around the corner waiting for me to run out and get closer. Well, I made a mad dash towards him, firing NOTHING, and he nailed me SEVERAL times. OUCH!! Those things leave welts. He had a good laugh, and so did I. Glad I took the time.

Keith Outten
05-17-2004, 7:55 AM
Saturday morning's project was to build a new mailbox for my Dad who is 81 years young. I did the cutting and fitting and Dad did the welding.

Keith Starosta
05-17-2004, 8:08 AM
Yummmmm - Deer Jerky - Gotta love it Jim!!

Saturday, spent a couple hours finishing up the small pine cabinet I posted. This evening, made 3 upper cabinets (23" wide x 30" tall) for a client. Still have to make a common face frame, cut adjustable shelves to size and prime everything. Maybe another 2 hours or less.

Yard work Saturday and dinner with neighbors. Measured a job, spent a little time working on web site. That's about it.

OH! Saturday my son was moping around and asked me if I wanted to have an "air soft" war with him (a gun that shoots little plastic beads). First I said no, then I said yes, 'cuz I knew it wouldn't take that long. He never told me that the clip only holds 12 rounds. I was running around the yard, firing away, while he calmly hid around the corner waiting for me to run out and get closer. Well, I made a mad dash towards him, firing NOTHING, and he nailed me SEVERAL times. OUCH!! Those things leave welts. He had a good laugh, and so did I. Glad I took the time.

That is the best possible time spent in my opinion. I had some great quality time with my son on Saturday. I coach his soccer team, and while this group of five to seven year old kids didn't win a game all season, they all played their hearts out and seemed to have a blast. As we were walking away from our last huddle, this little six year old girl came running after me and said, "Thanks for being my coach, Coach Keith. I had lotsa fun!!" My weekend was made right there. :)

Keith

Kurt Aebi
05-17-2004, 8:23 AM
Got the new mower deck belt installed and "hayed" the yard. Got a DR Trimmer from my father-in-law that stopped running and spent the afternoon saturday tearing it down and cleaning the carburator and generally checking it over and cleaning it up. Put it back together and it runs great! What a neat machine - a giant weedwacker that mows a lawn just as smooth as the tractor.

Spent sunday finishing up and painting (2) more wishing wells. I also started drawing up plans to convert a set of corner shelves ito a corner cabinet for my dad. We will be visiting him the first week of June. I am doing this cabinet in trade for about 600 Bd. Ft. of Poplar, Cherry and Ash (a good deal in anyone's book). Of, course, he already told me the wood was mine before any talk of the cabinet occurred. My dad is good to me and as a good son would, I would do the cabinet for him gladly and without anything in return.

He is located in Southwestern PA and, we are planning to have a visit with Daniel R. when we are in that neck of the woods. We are also going to take my dad to the Pirates vs. Cubs game in Pittsburgh when we are there.

Mike Evertsen
05-17-2004, 8:23 AM
got a start on the shop addition and with the rain last week had to do some yard work.

Jim Becker
05-17-2004, 8:35 AM
It was an eclectic weekend with a "little of this and a little of that" on the agenda. Saturday was pretty much dedicated to outdoor work, including mowing the lawn and pruning some bushes and trees. That night was also our "3rd Saturday" night out with friends at a most excellent restaraunt.

The DVD of the week was Intolerable Cruelty, a very enteraining film featuring Cloony and Zeta-Jones.
Sunday, which started late due to general lazyness, was spent in the shop with a little material rearrangement, some tool maintenance and milling up a bunch of walnut for a buffet I will be making for our dining room. The general sketch below shows what this 48" wide piece "might" look like...I'll refine it as it takes shape. The panels will be either QS sycamore or figured maple; probably the former as I have some really nice material that I got from Donnie recently.

Mike Mastin
05-17-2004, 9:07 AM
I have started a web page with photos from the Armed Forces Day Turn-A-Thon. I will add links to allow viewing of larger images very soon, but these should give you a good idea as too the great fun that was enjoyed last Saturday by all. This maybe off-topic, but I want tobring this great cause to more peoples attention.

<a href="http://www.curlywoods.com/freedom_pens_2004.html">http://www.curlywoods.com/freedom_pens_2004.html</a>

Dennis Peacock
05-17-2004, 9:19 AM
This maybe off-topic, but I want tobring this great cause to more peoples attention.

Mike,

Nothing earth shattering here.....just wondering how you and the "misses" is doing? Ya'll have been on my heart of late and was just wondering.

BTW, very nice work on the FPP stuff....thanks for your help with FPP.

Ray Thompson
05-17-2004, 9:24 AM
only to turn on the table saw and get nothing. I tried all last year to kill the thing and it decides to die on its own time schedule, which puts it at odds with mine. So now its a new motor or new saw, hmmm, decisions, decisions.

To wet to burn this weekend so maybe this week I will continue the cherry burn-off. Wind has to be at the right speed and direction to get a two mile clear downwind path and an upwind load site. Just wish this stuff was big enough to do something else with.

Ray - looking for an tool auction

Tyler Howell
05-17-2004, 9:35 AM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]Well, another weekend has come and gone. I didn't get any shop time this weekend due to being sick for the last 4 days. All I did was take medicine and sleep. I felt really frustrated as I have projects I need to get under way or even finish....but being sick really impacts my ability to physically do anything but lay around and sleep.

He Bud, Step up shake it off!:p

Seriously hope you're feeling better. Ain't nothing worse than knowing you've got places to go, people to see, things to do and you just don't feel like it.;)

Busy weekend, lots of shop time. Pix to follow. Made a quick run to the Borg, HD yesterday They had uniformed police directing traffic inside and out. Did a U turn and headed out of there!:eek:

Bart Sharp
05-17-2004, 9:56 AM
This was a big weekend for the family, my daughter had her first cereal Saturday morning. She took to it like a duck to water. After that we went to Sears and had our first family portraits taken with the baby. As a former photographer the quality made me cringe a little, but real portraits are way outside our price range. Saturday evening was spent with friends at a British-style pub. Not quite like the real thing, but pretty darn good for the middle of Tennessee.

Made good progress on the house Sunday. I got the baseboard down in the dining area and did a lot more demo in the bathroom. I'm working with a short clock, so I have to stay motivated.

Jim VanBramer
05-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Finally got to fire up my new Delta 22-580 planer on Sat. (micro-mini gloat ... got the darn thing at Christmas time, but have just been too busy to get to it till now :rolleyes: ). Man, is that thing ever sweet ... I just love watching how nice the wood looks as it comes out the other side (hate to admit it, but I think I even cranked the cuts down to 1/64th just so I could run 'em through more times!!! :D :D ).
To go along with Keith and Todd's posts, my son kept asking if I'd play with him yesterday, and I kept telling him I was too busy. Then I got to thinking that it won't be that much longer and he won't be asking any more, and I changed my mind. We had a blast, it didn't take all that long and I sure am glad I took that time to spend with him cuz he's only young once!
Have a great week guys!

Scott Coffelt
05-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Saturday I washed and cleaned out my Avelanche, wife's Mini-Van and kid's Saturn. There was so much dirt that I forgot what color the vehicles were. A visit to Sam's club.

Sunday was spent on yard work, fixing the sun roof (hopefully) on the kid's Saturn. Installed a CD player and new rear speakers in the Saturn, worth the payment --- a kiss on the cheek and a hug. :rolleyes:

So, no WWing. Maybe next weekend.

Ned Bulken
05-17-2004, 10:33 AM
I managed a fair amount of time in the shop this weekend. See my thread on box joint fun for details.
I spent a good half an hour last night cleaning up the shop, clogging my shopvac, emptying same, then emptying the DC. Did you know that the Top bag can hold a significant amount of chips too?? Imagine my surprise when I popped the band clamp and chips spilled over onto the floor. OOPs :eek: Proceeded to re-fill the recently emptied shop vac by hand... (had to put the chips somewhere, didn't I?) I was in mid-empty on both units, just scooped out the overflow so I could remove the lower bag on the DC. I was very glad I had purchased a basic dust mask, and that I was wearing it when I did the change, made a normally noxious task into just another thing to do.

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 10:59 AM
I picked up a MiniMax 20" bandsaw...well, not literally...that thing is a boat anchor! :D

I'm still futzing around with the TV cabinet section of the EC. I found a neat little wall plate at the local hardware store. It is a single gang but has 4 square holes cut out. Within these holes you can pop in RCA plugs, F-connectors (i.e. cable), phone jack, and probaby some other stuff I didn't see. Perfect! I needed room for 1 F-connector and 3 RCA plugs. I was thinking I'd need to buy a metal wallplate cover and cut my own holes in it but this baby saved the day and was just PERFECT...amazing.

John Miliunas
05-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Hrmph....Got a total of about 1-1/2 hours in the shop all weekend! Took LOML to an estate auction on Saturday. She had an OK time and stayed really concervative on her bidding. (Hmmm...wonder if she wasn't feeling well or something. :confused: ) I spent all of five bucks. Got a minimal amount of stuff done in the shop in the form of another coat of witches' brew on the cabinet parts. Sunday was outside chores. Lots and lots of outside chores. And fixing equipment. On the bright side, I was able to actually fix all I touched and got about 90% of what I wanted to get done completed! Hope you all have a great week and Dennis, hope you're feeling better! :cool:

Matt Meiser
05-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Friday night I was finally able to mow the lawn. Wish I would have already gotten a rotary cutter because it took 4 hours. I actually stalled the tractor a couple times.

Saturday we worked on landscaping all day. We moved 2 tons of lava rock, much of it with the loader. I am sure glad I was talked into buying that! A lot of work, but worth the results. Two more tons are being delivered today.

Sunday morning started with me getting the tractor stuck in mud to the axles. Luckily I had the loader on and was able to use it to pull myself out by rolling the bucket forward to pull myself forward. Took a while, but I got out. The next two hours were spent using the pressure washer to get all that mud off. Next, I tried my new spot sprayer and promptly blew a fuse. Finally gave up and went shopping with my wife.

Dean Baumgartner
05-17-2004, 12:55 PM
The closest I got to shop time this weekend was making a bracket so I could attach the lawn sweeper to the tractor. Really needed it as this was the first mowing of the year. Filled my 3x8' trailer twice with clippings. At least the garden will be well protected. The other accomplishment was getting the holes ready for LOML's new roses. 30 x 2' dia x 18" deep holes then half filled back with composted manure and peat moss. Wish she'd learn to buy the things in ones and twos instead of 10's and 20's. At least it was nice out and I got a good start on my farmer tan for the summer.

Dean

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2004, 2:01 PM
Worked late Friday night. Went back in on Saturday to finish the job. Sunday....rain........work on new shop delayed by rain.......I did manage to build an install header on new door and finish shimming it out on Sunday!

Fred Voorhees
05-17-2004, 8:25 PM
A little bit of everything over the entire length of the weekend. Friday after work I got after the grass so it didn't have to take up any actual weekend time. After that it was loading up the pickup with a years worth of big type garbage for the twice yearly township cleanup day.

It was up early Saturday for a front spot for the cleanup so we were out of there quick so that we were home in time for an appliance repairman visit. After that it was off to purchase two lengths of 8" PVC pipe. WOW! Has anyone priced that recently? Man, don't even ask how much! Back home to establish another flower bed at the driveway entrance to our home (pic below) and then on to fabricating ramps that will serve to easily store and take out the big lawn equipment from the new shed I build last summer and finally after that, it was taking out the log splitter and readying it for a job on Sunday. Saturday night it was a night of watching the NASCAR race with the usual suspects and my young brother who was up for the night from down Cape May,NJ.

Sunday AM it was to the Big Orange box to rent a two man gasoline powered auger to sink three foot deep holes in the yard for the clothesline arbor project. Think lots of rock to go along with the abundant clay. From there it take the auger back and on to my buddies house to split oak firewood for about two or three hours and load three truckloads there and unload them at my house. Once that was over with, it was back to the six holes in the ground to drop the three foot lengths of PVC pipe in and packing around them to have them ready for installing the arbors hopefully sometime this week if Mother Nature cooperates.

Not only does this new flower bed offer me new space to plant my beloved hostas, but it also means even more mulch I'll have to acquire each spring. ARGH!!!!

Mike Mastin
05-17-2004, 8:46 PM
Hey Dennis,

Your thoughts and well wishes are deeply appreciated by wife and our family. She is slowly getting some movement in her feet. A couple weeks ago she began to have serious difficulty breathing and we rushed her to the hospital. It turns out that the Lupus has affected her lungs and sack around her heart now. She is expressing a fluid build-up around her heart and the layer between her ribs and lungs is inflamed (a plurisy) (sp?) causing her to have a tough time breathing deeply.
She is starting a more aggressive chemotheraphy later this week to try to get the Lupus in check. She is a brave gal and she is an inspiration to my daughter and I. She gets down, but she gets up and keeps going. If anything like this ever affects my life, I can only hope that I can handle it as well as my wife has over these past 5 months.

Byron Trantham
05-17-2004, 9:17 PM
Spent all day Saturday with my brother-in-law helping him build some kitchen cabinets. On the home front, I finished phase 1 of 3 of SWMBO sewing cabinents. The first pic is her SergerThread, a whole bunch of serger thread! :rolleyes: The machine that uses that thread costs more than my Unisaw!!! :eek: The base cabinets, phase 2, are almost ready for dry fit.

Tim Morton
05-17-2004, 9:31 PM
really didn't get a whole lot accomplised this weekend, mostly because I was buying THIS!!! :D :cool:

Byron Trantham
05-17-2004, 9:41 PM
really didn't get a whole lot accomplised this weekend, mostly because I was buying THIS!!! :D :cool:

Bragin', bragin', bragin'!! :D

Nice unit. You really aren't going to haul wood in that thing, are you? :confused: It's far too purdy! :p

Robert Ducharme
05-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Finally got the tablesaw and router system together. :) Still need to make some cabinets for both of them and a better outfeed table. The original outfeed table had to be removed because of the slider. Router is a PC 7518. The second picture shows the blade guard and the beisemeyer splitter.

Tyler Howell
05-17-2004, 10:32 PM
really didn't get a whole lot accomplised this weekend, mostly because I was buying THIS!!! :D :cool:You done good Tim. You wont regret it.:cool:

Nice Robert. How do you run that thing:confused:

Travis Lanman
05-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Well as usual I didn't get as much done as planned. I did almost finish my outfeed table and got started on a few wall cabinets. Pics to come when they are complete. It just must be a car buying weekend because we purchased this car over the weekend and that consumed a lot of shop time. Have a great week everyone.
Travis

Tim Morton
05-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Nice unit. You really aren't going to haul wood in that thing, are you? It's far too purdy!

I hauled a take out bag of chinese in it tonight to break it in...my wife's ready to haul manure in it for her garden...but I'm with you..at least for the first month...WAY to clean to put anything in it that might scratch her. :D

Robert Ducharme
05-17-2004, 11:43 PM
You done good Tim. You wont regret it.:cool:

Nice Robert. How do you run that thing:confused:

First, it requires a post graduate degree in tinker-toys! :rolleyes: Next, a checklist reminiscent of a nuclear missile inspection. :eek: And finally, a direct tap into the Hoover Dam power generation :p

As long as you keep the table saw operations separate from the router options, it is not too bad. In fact, just after finishing setting it up, I immediately cut 7 4x4s in half - unfortuneately, I used the RAS for it instead of the tablesaw :o Still need to connect the DC.

Rob Littleton
05-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Finally got the tablesaw and router system together. :) Still need to make some cabinets for both of them and a better outfeed table. The original outfeed table had to be removed because of the slider. Router is a PC 7518. The second picture shows the blade guard and the beisemeyer splitter.

Wheres the landing gear on that? That aint no router table, its a UFO.....just kidding but it looks busy :-)

Tyler Howell
05-18-2004, 7:05 AM
Spent the weekend rebuilding the sub floor in my pantry. 100 years of condensation from refrigerators and ices boxes took its toll. The fridge that came with the house fell through the floor as I was pulling it out.:eek:
Found many attempts to abate the problem from tile, vinyl flooring, roofing cement to floor leveler. The original floor was maple. Ceramic tiles are up next.<O:p</O:p
No surprises, was hoping for a memento of the past. All I found was wood chips and 100 year old spider poop.<O:p</O:p

Those antique 12 " blocks needed persuading. Replaced a couple of joists beefed up the rest Installed flexible heat duct, Cat 5 and RG 59 for future reference. Safety glasses didn't cut it. Ski goggles with anti fog spray were just the ticket. <O:p</O:p

Will finish the insulation and decking this week.<O:p</O:p