PDA

View Full Version : Roxul or Pink Fiberglass?

Andrew Thuswaldner
10-06-2008, 5:46 AM
I will be insulating my garage walls and I would like your opinions on whether one type of insulation is better than another - Roxul or Pink Fiberglass?
I have already decided not to spray foam because the cost is quite high in this area. The walls are open 2x4 studs that are sheathed with some kind of fibrous black material (likely done in the 70's) and then the exterior is finished with vertical cedar tongue-in-groove siding.
Andrew

Michael Melo
10-06-2008, 6:56 PM
Andrew,

Thermal performance between the two is similar when newly installed. Roxul trumps pink in several areas however. Unlike fibreglass It will not lose its insulating properties when wet and will dry out if it does get wet with no lasting negative effect. It will outlast fibreglass many time over partly because of this fact alone. It is essentially fire proof. Finally it offers better sound insulation as it has a higher density. It also happens to be less expensive at least in our area. Can you guess which I prefer?... Few things will touch spray foam for insulating performace but it does have some draw backs not the least of wich is the fire safety requirements as it is quite flamable and produces highy toxic gases when burned.

Good luck,

Michael