PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized pipe for natural gas?

Keel McDonald
10-06-2008, 5:38 AM
Anyone out there know if I can run galvanized 1/2" pipe outdoors for natural gas? I've run lots of the black pipe inside the house, but need to run some for a natural gas grill I'm considering getting. I need to run about 10 feet underneath my deck.

I was reading the specs in the borg the other day and they have blacked out the claim that galvanized can be used for NG.

Or are there other alternatives?

Mike Sheppard
10-06-2008, 6:02 AM
Keel
Galvanized pipe should not be used for gas lines, there is a plastic or rubber tubing that is approved for that and is used here in Michigan on some if not all new work. I don't know much about it, maybe someone more up to date can weigh in on it.
Mike

Charles Seehuetter Panama City
10-06-2008, 6:14 AM
Keel,

It's best to check with your local gas company or inspector. Each state/local government may also have regulations. It's best to be right and legal with NG in your home. Fires do happen and if it ever does insurance inspectors will look for any excuse not to have to pay off. Just my $.02

Randy Cohen
10-06-2008, 7:17 AM
i would call the gas utility and see what they have to say....i'm sure someone is going to inspect before turning on the gas. so I agree with Charles.

Jason Roehl
10-06-2008, 7:48 AM
Around here, code is painted black pipe for exterior runs carrying NG (I once had to paint a long run of it on top of the white steel roof of a warehouse on a sunny day...:cool: )

Bob Ross
10-06-2008, 8:12 AM
Don't take this for gospel; I believe galv used to be forbidden because of the risk of flakes coming off and clogging orifices orfices er....holes. Modern manufacturing techniques, even in China, have done away with that problem. Today, I would use the yellow coated stainless steel flex stuff. It can be adapted to your black iron inside the house.

Tom Godley
10-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I had to use galvanized pipe that was attached to a concrete wall -- this was exposed.

The length of pipe that I had to extend underground - was wrapped in plastic.

You better check with what is code in your area.

Von Bickley
10-06-2008, 11:38 AM
When I was in the work force, there were 2 things that you didn't use on gas lines.

1. Galvanized pipe
2. Reducer bushings

We used black iron and bell reducers.....

Peter Stahl
10-06-2008, 12:41 PM
When I was in the work force, there were 2 things that you didn't use on gas lines.

1. Galvanized pipe
2. Reducer bushings

We used black iron and bell reducers.....

Von,

I heard that too about reducer bushings, never could understand why.

I used to see people use copper tubing but I don't know if it was legal or not. I'd call the building inspector or the gas company. My house was built in 1999 and they used all TracPipe flexible pipe inside.

Al Willits
10-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Being I work for one of them ultilities I'll tell you what I tell everybody else who calls and asks.
Go to your local inspections dept and ask them, get a name when you do.

Or worse case get a copy of the mechanical code book for your area.
Problem with code books is each city/suburb/whatever usually can not alter what the book says, but they can add to it, that's why your inspections dept is who to ask.

Al

Keel McDonald
10-07-2008, 5:52 AM
Thanks for the help. I always like to do my homework before beginning a project.

Terry Achey
10-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Don't take this for gospel; I believe galv used to be forbidden because of the risk of flakes coming off and clogging orifices orfices er....holes. Modern manufacturing techniques, even in China, have done away with that problem. Today, I would use the yellow coated stainless steel flex stuff. It can be adapted to your black iron inside the house.

correct... galvanized has a tendancy to flake and orifices and regulators don't like it!

Peter Stahl
10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Anyone out there know if I can run galvanized 1/2" pipe outdoors for natural gas? I've run lots of the black pipe inside the house, but need to run some for a natural gas grill I'm considering getting. I need to run about 10 feet underneath my deck.

I was reading the specs in the borg the other day and they have blacked out the claim that galvanized can be used for NG.

Or are there other alternatives?

Did you find out how you need to install it, material, depth in the ground, etc...

Robby Oconnor
12-05-2018, 4:27 AM
I realize this is an old thread, but I keep running across these old discussions and finding I have suggestions or better info to offer

This comes up a lot, so let me give the definitive "non-answer" for the use of galvanized for natural gas lines in the United States.

Per the national fuel code it may be allowed or it may be prohibited.

Helpful? Not really.

Turns out that natural gas, is a mixture of many different gasses and that composition can vary widely from area to area or even over time as different sources of supply are bringing gas to a particular market area. Some of those gas supplies may contain trace amounts of Sulfur compounds that can be highly corrosive to galvanized and copper. If there is even a POTENTIAL for high sulfur content in the gas stream then the national fuel code Prohibits copper gas lines.

Your go-to "expert" for this issue is your natural gas supplier (Local gas distribution company) who can tell you if they allow galvanized, discourage galvanized, or prohibit galvanized gas lines on the customer side of the meter. If you live in a locality that has building codes and/or inspectors, you will want to check with them as well.

That being said I can say the following with certainty:

Properly threaded black pipe is allowed to be used (at pressures of 5 psi or less) for natural gas. Assuming it's sized properly and installed in the correct manner, it will provide years of good trouble-free service.

Hydraulic hose is not an approved natural gas piping material. Not saying it won't work. Not saying it's not safe. Just saying your gas company might have to redtag you if they see it depending on their procedures.

Good luck!

Wade Lippman
12-05-2018, 12:49 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but I keep running across these old discussions and finding I have suggestions or better info to offer

Let dead threads stay dead.

Bill Jobe
12-05-2018, 8:16 PM
There's also a different thread sealer. It's yellow (I think. I'm colorblind).

Tom M King
12-05-2018, 9:14 PM
The teflon tape for gas is yellow. There are a number of brush on sealers, but I can't think of a single yellow one. It runs at pretty low pressure, so is not hard to seal. Most tests call for 35 psi around here. I test close to as high as my gauge goes. The inspector here wants to see the gauge that's been holding over a weekend.

For exterior pipe, as in the old OP's question, I've always just used black pipe, sanded the outside of it, acetoned it until clean, and painted with a more durable paint. I've seen it outside for decades with nothing better than the original paint, which of course was long gone, but was still in operation-not saying I'd go with that.

I've never had to redo a joint using Rectorseal no. 5, but it's still easy to get apart years later for modifications. It's also fine for use with regular plumbing. I had an air compressor that the only way I could keep the joints leak-free was with no. 5 on both sides of teflon tape. That compressor hasn't leaked down for probably 20 years now.

Bill Dufour
12-05-2018, 9:50 PM
The thing is that galvanized pipe and fittings have no zinc on the inside were the fluids are. I suppose there may be a tiny amount on the end of nipples but probably not enough to make any difference. I rally do not understand why they ever worried about the outside coating. Copper I do understand the issue since it has copper on the inside not just the outside.
Bil lD