PDA

View Full Version : Sandblast mask

Bob Davis
10-06-2008, 4:16 AM
Hi All,
After yet another incredibly frustrating episode with the sandblaster I have decided that our relationship in it's present form is over. If I never see another piece of photo mask resist it will be too soon!
However, maybe it's possible to salvage something from the wreck. I'm sure that I have read somewhere on these pages that it is possible to use vinyl cut with a plotter to make a mask. In this way I'd be easily able to avoid the complications of over/under exposure and over/under washout as well as minimising "blowout" because I can easily see what will be produced.
If memory serves me well I believe that this system requires that the image be cut into the vinyl with a plotter, the image is then placed onto the substrate, excess vinyl is weeded and then the image is blasted. However, I don't see how the carrier layer is removed from the cut vinyl without it taking a lot of the required vinyl with it.
Am I missing something?

James Stokes
10-06-2008, 6:54 AM
After you weed the vinyl you then cover it with transfer tape. Then when you remove the paper backing every thing stays stuck to the transfer tape.

Mike Null
10-06-2008, 8:37 AM
I like clear contact paper better than transfer tape since you can see all the bits and pieces that should be there. It is also more aggressive so you won't lose the tiny pieces.

Be patient--haste makes waste.