PDA

View Full Version : New Bandsaw

earl timmons
10-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Some of you may remember that my 55 year old bandsaw gave up the ghost a few weeks back. I asked for suggestions from you all and got some very good ideas and advice

In the end I settled on a Grizzly GO513X2 (17 inch) saw. I ordered it on a Friday and the following Wed it was here. Now that is fast service.

On Monday of the week it came I learned my Son-in-Law's tongue cancer had reasserted itself. He will have his 2nd major surgery in less than a year this coming Wed. If someone had asked me to pick a son-in-law I could not have picked a better guy.

As you can imagine turning has not been a priority over the last few days. I did manage to get the saw installed, which was amazingly easy. I put on a 3/8 woodturners blade from Highland Hardware and rounded one 12 inch diameter 6 inch thick wet elm blank. The saw cut it like I was cutting 1/4 inch plywood. I could not believe it.

I look forward to a successful surgery for my son-in-law and more time in the shop soon.

I am just going to post a couple pictures of the saw for now. I wanted to thank you all for your advice. Scott and Bernie in particular pointed at the 513 and you all convinced me that bigger and more powerful was worth the few extra dollars. I think I am going to love the saw.

Thanks again for your help and if you have any pull up above put in a kind word for DJ and Sara, with four young kids they need to catch a break.

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Great looking saw Earl! Should be amazing at rounding out some blanks!

I hope your son-in-law's operation is sucessful! Don't know if I have any pull but I'll try just the same! Best of luck to him and the entire family as you all deal with this challenge!

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2008, 8:48 AM
Great looking saw Earl. Looks like it should serve you well. Your son will be in our prayers hoping everything will be a success.

David Drickhamer
10-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Best of luck to your Son-in-law and his family. They will be in our prayers.

Don Abele
10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Now I hadn't seen that before - the holes for the spokes in the wheel are shaped like a Grizzly - Neat!

Earl, your son-in-law, his wife and kids, and your family are in our prayers for a successful surgery, a speedy recovery, and complete remission.

Be well,

Doc

Tom Steyer
10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Earl, great looking saw, congrats.

We all hope for a successful outcome for your son-in-law.

I look forward to seeing you in November.

Kim Ford
10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Good Saw!

Our love and prayers for your son in law and your entire family.

robert hainstock
10-06-2008, 1:38 PM
We will be praying for sucessful surgery and followup treatment. :D
Bob

Scott Hubl
10-06-2008, 3:43 PM
CONGRATS Earl!

Thats the delux version over mine with the Cast Iron Wheels, resaw fence, you are going to LOVE that BS for your Bowl Blank Cutting and or flatwork needs.

Good price too, again CONGRATS.

Prayers also sent.

Allen Neighbors
10-06-2008, 9:34 PM
"Earl, your son-in-law, his wife and kids, and your family are in our prayers for a successful surgery, a speedy recovery, and complete remission."

Don, that makes two of us.

Nice saw, Earl. I want one!!

earl timmons
10-08-2008, 1:28 PM
It has been awhile since I have had a moment to get back on here. I want to thank you all for your kind words about my son-in-law. As for the bandsaw what a difference a high quality tool makes and cool wheels to. Tom, I look forward to meeting you and your club in Nov.