PDA

View Full Version : Another Computer Motherboard Pen

michael gallagher
10-05-2008, 11:22 PM
This is my second one of these to do - a CPU motherboard wrapped around a Sierra pen tube, cast in polyester resin, then micromeshed after turned to size. These are fun to do, but i tell you - that resin stinks!

I'm going to give this one to my brother-in-law for Christmas, who works in a large IT department.

Comments and critiques welcome!

John Terefenko
10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I love these and bought a couple blanks myself but not had a chance to turn it yet. I will be putting it on ther same kit as you. Did you find anything alarming other than the smell??? Did you have to allow abit on the ends so as to not get into the board??? How did you turn the blank with what tools and how did you finish it??? Thanks and the pen looks spot on. Great job. It is such a novel idea in this day and age. One other question did you put the joint under the clip??? Is it noticable and OK one more question, did you have to paint the tubes or is this opaque enough???

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Michael - I think John covered all the questions - so I will just add that it is a really good looking pen and would have to think they would be a huge seller with any techies out there! Very nice!

Chris Barnett
10-06-2008, 6:27 AM
How do you wrap G-10...the stuff is so stiff, even single layers? Or are you doing ribbon cable?

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2008, 8:47 AM
Great looking pen Michael. The questions have been asked.

Jerry Rhoads
10-07-2008, 7:05 AM
Michael
This is way cool.
I would like to try this, as I know several people way into computers.
Thanks for posting this.
Jerry

John Terefenko
10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Not sure where Michael is but I can answer one question and that is where to get these blanks. There is a person selling them at the IAP site and here is a link to the site and the different colors he is now offering. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37206 Bruce does some fantastic work and yes these are really computer boards sanded down to a thin layer so they can be bent. I have a couple of these blanks and have to say the work is fantastic and the resin is crystal clear. I need a little more practice with acrylics before attempting these but look forward to doing them. I am just curious what Mike did with his and hope he jumps in here.

michael gallagher
10-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Wow, a lot of response on the motherboard pen. Here is a link to when I did the first one, where I describe some of the process the creator of the blank went through:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90850

Now to answer some of the other questions -

The smell was the only thing that bothered me. Make sure you use a skew ONLY to take the blank down, or you risk, for example, a gouge ripping out a hunk that will ruin your blank. I put the joint / seam of the motherboard (it was small) to the side as I liked it, plus I needed the clip to cover up a small hole that tore out and went too deep and beyond correction right where the blank meets up with the clip side.

The IAP site John referenced is where I got the original two blanks several months ago. The guy who made it is very creative, and has used many recycled parts to create some neat pen blanks. Since I got the blanks from him, they have increased significantly in popularity. Following the simple rules of economics where increased demand increases pricing - plus they take a while to create - he is now charging and getting $25 per pen blank.

Seeing as how we are in a recession, I have decided to create my own so wish me luck.

I've spent my allowance money at Hobby Lobby and Michael's and am now ready to cast my own version of the computer pen - a scrap motherboard from the recycle room at my office, a few corks to plug the end, the mold is ready to go, and my fingers are ready to give it a shot at the disc sander (have to keep the fingers away from the sander or risk ruining my nail clipper manicure, as well as the sharp points on the opposite / good side of the motherboard). Seeing as how polyester resin is very expensive, it would have been cheaper to buy the blanks but when did any of us try to rationalize correctly any of our hobby purchases?

I'll let you know how the casting proces goes, successful or not.

michael gallagher
10-07-2008, 12:27 PM
I need a little more practice with acrylics before attempting these but look forward to doing them.

John-

Jump in on the acrylics. For this blank, just turn it down a little high off of the bushing, or if you're using calipers a little larger than plumb - if you go too deep, there is no forgiveness on the motherboard pen as you risk tearing into the circuitry.

Make sure you post a pic of your work when you're done!

Regards,

Michael

Allen Neighbors
10-07-2008, 5:42 PM
Michael, now that's a techie looking pen. Really nice!

John Terefenko
10-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Michael

I will certainly post photos when I get up enough nerve to give it a go. Thanks for answering the questions. If you are going to try your own blanks let us know how it goes and give us a little detail. Also if I recall the one thing Bruce did say when making these the dust and fumes from the sanding of the boards is not at all good to breathe so do take care.

Wilbur Pan
10-08-2008, 8:19 AM
I thought that one of the issues with computers is the lead and other heavy metals that might be in there. I don't know if that's a concern with the circuit board itself. Any one with information on this?