PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Painting in Cool Temperatures

Andrew Thuswaldner
10-05-2008, 8:44 PM
I'd like to be able to paint some wooden windows but with the cooler weather I'm not sure it will be worth the effort. Most exterior latex paint says you can apply the paint if the temperature is above 50F. We are getting highs of 50 to 60F (10 to 15C) but at night the temperatures are going as low as 36F (2C). Am I compromising the quality of my work? I am interested in hearing your experiences.
Andrew

Jacob Mac
10-05-2008, 9:34 PM
I think different paints have different temps. I bought some Valspar at Lowes, and it says you can go as low as 35. I didn't have to since I was painting in Kansas in August/September, but that is what the directions say. But the Valspar is $30 a gallon. So it is kind of pricey.

Tim Wagner
10-06-2008, 5:59 PM
I think if you mix ammonia with the paint (in a predetermined amount) it will help cure the paint in colder weather.

Jason Roehl
10-06-2008, 6:10 PM
I think if you mix ammonia with the paint (in a predetermined amount) it will help cure the paint in colder weather.

I've been a painter for a number of years now, and I have NEVER heard of this. Today's acrylic paints can be quite complex chemically, and some garage experimentation is not likely to have beneficial effects. Not to mention, ammonia is basic, while most acrylic paints I've used are slightly acidic. Strippers are also often quite basic.

Your best bet is to go to a dedicated paint store (not a big box) and get their recommendations (preferably from a manager, asst. manager or long-time associate). 35ºF paints have greatly extended the fall painting season for us--not just in terms of being able to paint past the traditional Oct 15 end-of-season date, but also allowing us to paint outdoors for more hours per day. Whatever is recommended to you, read the label...

Phil Thien
10-06-2008, 7:26 PM
I've been a painter for a number of years now, and I have NEVER heard of this.

I will say that some exterior paints I use have a strong amonia smell to them.

David G Baker
10-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I have heard of the addition of ammonia to paint for years but don't remember the reason or the type of paint that it is added to.

George Beck
10-07-2008, 5:51 AM
Sherwin Williams A-100 may be used in damp conditions and temperatures as low as 35 degrees. It is a modestly priced paint as well and carries a 15 year warranty. Here is a link to an information sheet. http://www.sherwin.com/pdf/products/a100_extpaint.pdf

Jason Roehl
10-07-2008, 6:16 AM
I will say that some exterior paints I use have a strong amonia smell to them.

I've used many different paints that have an ammonia-like smell to them, but a quick perusal of the ingredients shows no ammonia, and one or more acids.

Regarding the previous post, as far as I'm concerned, S-W's A-100 is junk. SuperPaint is much better, Duration is a lot better, and today I will be using Resilience for the first time (quick moisture resistance paint), so I can't say anything about it.

I also don't pay any attention to what Consumer Reports says about paints any more--they're usually quite a ways behind the times, plus when it comes to paints, they leave out ease of use and finish quality.

Tim Wagner
10-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I've been a painter for a number of years now, and I have NEVER heard of this. Today's acrylic paints can be quite complex chemically, and some garage experimentation is not likely to have beneficial effects. Not to mention, ammonia is basic, while most acrylic paints I've used are slightly acidic. Strippers are also often quite basic.

Your best bet is to go to a dedicated paint store (not a big box) and get their recommendations (preferably from a manager, asst. manager or long-time associate). 35ºF paints have greatly extended the fall painting season for us--not just in terms of being able to paint past the traditional Oct 15 end-of-season date, but also allowing us to paint outdoors for more hours per day. Whatever is recommended to you, read the label...

It is on the diy channel all the time. take the advice or don't I could care less.

Jason Roehl
10-08-2008, 4:42 AM
Well, this is a family-friendly forum, so I won't post what I think of a lot of DIY programming... ;)

Tim Wagner
10-08-2008, 3:11 PM
Well, this is a family-friendly forum, so I won't post what I think of a lot of DIY programming... ;)

you probibly are correct, I don't know much about paint other than taking a brush or roller and slapping it up on the wall. as far as the diy channle you are probibly right about that as well. I believe most of there tip's and tricks are sent to them by viewers. :p