PDA

View Full Version : Board Buddy / Guide Wheel Placement

Brad Ridgway
10-05-2008, 8:07 PM
I purchased a set of the yellow guide wheel / anti kick back thingies..

If you've seen Tolpins book, i built a similar insert (out of pine and ply - i don't have the woodstock adjustable track) for the powermatic fence, used a tap and die set put some 5/16 - 18 threads so i could tighten it down...

Only problem, i did this before i purchased or thought about the biesemeyer splitter. When both are installed the upper portion of the splitter where the pawls attach interferes with the ability of the rear roller to go down when doing narrow cuts.

So question is where is the optimal placement for the rear wheel? I could get the adjustable track, but placement still applies. I thought one in front of the blade and one at the tail of the blade would be good and keep the most contact with the wood through the cut. I guess if i'm not ripping problem wood (say ripping sheets of ply, i don't really need the splitter either?).

Mine are basically in this orientation right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-International-G2370-Board-Buddies%C2%AE/dp/B0000TFIQW/

thx
-brad

Bill White
10-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I have to take them off when I'm ripping narrow stuff, and I also use a feather board. Yeah, I'm a cautious soul, but I haven't suffered a kickback (YET).
Bill

Aaron Beaver
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I have to take them off when I'm ripping narrow stuff, and I also use a feather board. Yeah, I'm a cautious soul, but I haven't suffered a kickback (YET).
Bill

Same here, I use the Grr-Ripper most of the time anyway, but I will use the BB's for wider stuff to help control it.