PDA

View Full Version : An eBay steal perhaps?

Charles Davis
10-05-2008, 7:49 PM
This has to be the sweetest, most magnificent Stanley #4 that I have ever seen. I cannot spot a single defect on it... and the price seems just right for a number four as well... hope nobody beats me to the trigger!

eBay, Antique Stanley Planer, item # 350106033885

Alan DuBoff
10-05-2008, 7:55 PM
Charles,

I see you haven't posted too many messages here, but I'm sure the moderators will edit your post as it is against the CoC to post links to ebay auctions. I know your intentions were well, just pointing that out.

Charles Davis
10-05-2008, 8:04 PM
Yeah I thought about the rule, or actually the spirit of the rule, and didn't think this thread really violated it since the eBay listing is clearly comical and in no way could be construed as someone trying to sell something... but I understand if it needs to be killed or moved... just thought it'd be some good fun for hand tool users to get a chuckle.

Rick Gifford
10-05-2008, 9:08 PM
Since I am by no means a plane expert... can this thing really sell for $90??

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/11/e6/49c9_1.JPG

Charles Davis
10-05-2008, 9:22 PM
It's not worth anything... The main casting is pretty much missing the right side (nice view of the frog tho... ;))... front knob is cracked... I'm sure there's a nice patina under that rust tho... heh...

Number 4s are very common... you can get a nice one for $25... I wouldn't even take the parts from this one if it were given to me... pretty good chance that the buy-it-now of $150 won't occur. I'm sure the seller has no idea of the value, or lack thereof in this instance. Some eBay listings are just good for a laugh...

Alan DuBoff
10-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah I thought about the rule, or actually the spirit of the rule, and didn't think this thread really violated it since the eBay listing is clearly comical and in no way could be construed as someone trying to sell something... but I understand if it needs to be killed or moved... just thought it'd be some good fun for hand tool users to get a chuckle.
Charles,

Oh, I guess I didn't see the humor, since I rarely make fun of folks that are selling things. I often see folks on various online forums making fun of folks who they think are either asking too much $$$s, or that they feel have less than stellar skills. This is alway ironic to see someone do so that sells tools for a living, since making fun of one's competition is typically not a good way to get your same customers to think well of you.

I find this fairly demeaning to folks, since most of us have to start somewhere and/or learn things just as the next guy does.

Honestly, if you see an item you feel is priced too high, or that has flaws, it's probably best to contact the seller and point that out, rather than point it out to everyone as a whole.

All our mileage varies, and I'm in no way trying to dictate how you post messages, I was only trying to point out that according to the CoC, ebay listings are forbidden, AFAIK. I am not a moderator, so take what I say with a large grain of salt.

Mike Henderson
10-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I think some sellers of antiques don't know the value of tools, nor the condition. I sent a message to them explaining that the plane would not have much value (I estimated $5) because of it's condition and because a #4 is a very common plane. I got a response thanking me for the advice and saying they were going to take the auction down.

Mike

Steve Clardy
10-06-2008, 1:33 PM
Yep. Parts plane only the way I look at it.

Theres a bedrock on there also, same shape, basically same way-to-high start price.

Michael Fross
10-06-2008, 6:13 PM
BTW, since no link was posted, I don't believe the TOS was violated....

But the again, I'm no moderator.

Michael

Steve Clardy
10-06-2008, 6:26 PM
BTW, since no link was posted, I don't believe the TOS was violated....

But the again, I'm no moderator.

Michael

Link was edited out by a moderator

Frederick Rowe
10-06-2008, 8:35 PM
"It is in fair condition has some ware and tare through its years."

Wow, Caveat Emptor.

Bob Ross
10-07-2008, 1:33 PM
I don't know...maybe it's a 604 protype??:D

Doug Shepard
10-07-2008, 4:35 PM