PDA

View Full Version : Several beginner's questions

John Loftis
10-05-2008, 1:32 PM
Sorry about this long first post. I have several questions that I’m sure you folks can answer. I’m in the middle of my second attempt of my third woodworking project, which is an end grain hard maple butcher block island for the kitchen. First attempt resulted in $170 worth of scrap wood due to numerous rookie mistakes with milling rough lumber. My strategy when I screw up seems to be, ‘buy more stuff,’ so I now have a new (used) Biesemeyer fence for the old Delta, new jointer blades, and a benchtop planer.

This time, I milled the 8/4 maple down to 1.75” thick and ripped the boards to 1.75” strips. I rotated each board 90 degrees to give a checkerboard grain pattern. My strategy is to glue up all the strips, then cross-cut the strips to give me rows of butcher block. I did a trial section of four strips and noticed that despite my best intentions, I didn’t glue them perfectly flush. Two of the rows are maybe 1/32” off. But to glue up correctly, they will need to be perfectly flush.

1) Planer: Can I run the glued boards through the planer? I read that a planer will make a mirror image of the bottom face. I confess this doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Seems like if the planer knives move up and down over the course of the cut, they would have to move up and down over the entire width of the board. Is that right? So would a planer work to flush up one face of the glued boards, allowing me to then flip the thing over and flush up the other side?
2) Clamps: Is there a clamp I should buy that will help me ensure the strips are flush when I clamp them together? Right now, I have 2 pipe clamps, 2 bar clamps, and 2 quickgrip clamps.
3) Routing: when the island is all glued up, the edges will be sharp. So I’ll need to soften the edges. Can I use a round over bit and rout the end grain blocks? I’m pretty new to the router, and the idea of getting that deep into the project and then screwing it all up scares the heck out of me. I could just sand the corners, but that probably wouldn’t look very clean. If routing is the right way to go, what bit should I use? Anything I should be paying particular attention to?
4) Depth of blocks: I was thinking of making the table 2” deep. Is that deep enough (enough surface area) to make the table strong with only Titebond III (food safe) holding the thing together?
5) Biesemeyer: When I installed the Biesemeyer last week, I noticed that the handle only moves about ½” down between contacting the guide bar and locking. Seems like the fence stays in place pretty well, but the handle is protruding out at an angle that is likely to neuter me at some point. For those of you who own a Biesemeyer, does your handle lock down all the way perpendicular to the table? I haven’t fiddled with it yet, but I guess it’s possible that loosening the hex screws would give me a bit more play and potentially allow the handle to lock down farther.

Thanks so much for reading patiently. Hopefully you can steer me in the right direction. My wife’s been tapping her foot. She wants that ugly laminate island out of her house.

Best,
John

Mike Heidrick
10-05-2008, 3:54 PM
The planer makes on side parallel to the other side of the board. If it is flat on the side that goes across the bed of the planer then the cuts will make the opposite side parallel.

I would glue up and scrape off any excess glue on the top of the work piece before running that through any machines. Card scraper or cabinet scraper will work well.

When using your clamps use lots of cauls. They an be made of wood and are used to flatten the workpiece while it is clamped.

You should have no problems easing the edges of your piece. Practice on some scrap. I always climb-cut the last two inches of the edge first and then route the rest of the edge normally. This will prevent the chip-out at the end. You have to be careful doing this as the router is moving in the same direction as the spinning bit - just hold it very carefully and securely and secure your workpiece.

2" is thicker than many butcher block table tops so you should be fine.

My Biess clone on the sawstop fully seats. Adjust your pressure plates on the fence - it will be a lot better.

Pat warner has a great website on the router and also he has authored a great book on the router.

If you live close to Bloomington, IL you are welcome to come by and use my panel clamp rack or other clamps. Whatever you need.

Welcome to the SMC forum!!

Howard Acheson
10-05-2008, 4:53 PM
>> I rotated each board 90 degrees to give a checkerboard grain pattern.

Bad idea. The following is something I wrote up a number of years ago for a woodworking club newsletter. It should help.

There is a little engineering that needs to be considered when building an end grain butcher block or cutting board. First, choose wood where the growth rings (viewed from the end) run as close to 90 degrees or parallel to one edge. Remember, the expansion/contraction is about double along the annular rings verses perpendicular to the rings. You've got to keep the grain running in the same direction as you glue up your strips. In other words, don't glue a flatsawn edge to a quartersawn edge.

Next, the way butcher blocks are made is to glue up strips of wood like you were making a laminated type cutting board. These laminated panels are then run through a planer to flatten them and bring them to equal thickness. Then the panel is crosscut into strips of blocks equal to the thickness that you want the butcher block to be. These block strips are then glued together again keeping the grain running in the same directions.

Not paying attention to the grain orientation will lead to the block cracking and/or joints being pulled apart.

A type II adhesive will work just fine however, you need to be sure you do everything right to get good adhesion. Your glue faces should be flat and freshly cut. It they were cut more than a few days earlier, freshen them up with about three swipes with 320 sandpaper and block to keep the faces flat.

Generally, threaded rod is not used as maple has quite a bit of movement when it's moisture content changes. Threaded rod would restrict this movement and either deform the block or pull the nut/washers into the wood when it expanded leaving the rod performing no function when the wood later shrinks. Proper gluing will keep the block together.

Finally, it always much cheaper, and a lot less aggrevating to purchase a butcher block than to make one. The firms that specialize in end grain butcher blocks have speciaiized equipment to apply the necessary clamping force, plane the initial boards exactly correctly, plane the first glue up and then clamps to make the final block.

Steve Jenkins
10-05-2008, 5:06 PM
John, No matter how careful you are you aren't going to get the first glue up flush enough to avoid running it through the planer before crosscutting it for your second glue up. If you want the blocks to end up square you need to start with them a little thicker in one dimension so you can reflatten the panel and then end up with them the same size. I hope that makes some kind of sense. If you need a hand you're welcome to come by my shop and I'd be glad to help you out. It's usually easier to make big glueups with two people.
I'm just a bit east of Mckinney.
Give me a call.

John Loftis
10-05-2008, 6:03 PM
>> I rotated each board 90 degrees to give a checkerboard grain pattern.

Bad idea. The following is something I wrote up a number of years ago for a woodworking club newsletter. It should help.

There is a little engineering that needs to be considered when building an end grain butcher block or cutting board. First, choose wood where the growth rings (viewed from the end) run as close to 90 degrees or parallel to one edge. Remember, the expansion/contraction is about double along the annular rings verses perpendicular to the rings. You've got to keep the grain running in the same direction as you glue up your strips. In other words, don't glue a flatsawn edge to a quartersawn edge.

Not paying attention to the grain orientation will lead to the block cracking and/or joints being pulled apart.

Howard, thanks for your comments. It really surprised me to read that. Don't most end-grain butcher blocks have the grain alternating 90 degrees? Have others experienced joint breakage or block cracking from alternating the grain pattern?:eek:

From John and Howard's comments, sounds like if the goal is 1.75", I should rip the boards to about 2", then glue up, then use the planer to get the whole thing down to 1.75". Sound right?

Finally, it always much cheaper, and a lot less aggrevating to purchase a butcher block than to make one. The firms that specialize in end grain butcher blocks have speciaiized equipment to apply the necessary clamping force, plane the initial boards exactly correctly, plane the first glue up and then clamps to make the final block.

I'll give you an amen here. Unlike my past case-goods projects, this one stopped being fun about 10 minutes after I started.

John, I might just take you up on your offer. Regardless, it would be great to get to know some other woodworkers in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate the help!
John