PDA

View Full Version : Started the latest batch

Dick Parr
05-16-2004, 3:45 PM
I got started on the latest batch of Freedom Pens today and made one cherry and one red oak (2 down and 28 to go). And I finally made one for myself. :D I tried burn rings on the pens and I think I like them.

At one of the camping trips I grabbed a piece of spalted maple from the fire wood pile that I was going to make a platter from, but it was split throughout the piece so I cut up into blanks for pens and stoppers. Came out pretty good for being the first spalted pen material I have used. I have found it is hard to work with because it wants to come apart. :eek: I used a lot of CA glue with this one to put it back together and keep it there. :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking

John Miliunas
05-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Very nice lookin' pens, Dick! :D Yeah, ain't those burn-ins nice?! Easy to do and add a nice touch. Speaking of "nice", great looking Spalted piece! That puppy sure has some gorgeous markings to it! Too bad it didn't stay whole for the original project; That would've been awesome! Still, you've got an equally impressive piece there. Also, know what you're saying about the CA! If I'm doing spalted, it seems that I just about *always* have to have a bottle of the stuff within easy reach! :rolleyes: :cool: