PDA

View Full Version : House Insulation

Dick Adair
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
My son lives in a 1930's cement block and brick construction house. It is in excellent shape and he would like to insulate without destroying the exterior appearance. Someone suggested pouring pearlite beads (or something similar) into the block and filling all the air space. There is about a 2" air space between the brick and the block and they are tied together with bricks into the block about every ten courses. Is anyone familiar with something like this and is it a good option. We have added insulation in the ceilings and are looking for more energy efficency. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Bob Ross
10-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I advise first-time home buyers often (value added home inspections) and I always suggest insulating in this order: upgrade attic to R-38 minimum, address older windows and doors to minimize air infiltration. This may involve caulking/sealing, storm windows, window replacement, storm doors, door replacement. I suggest doing a lot of homework to decide the best approach here. Simply replacing everything may not be the $$ smartest approach.

Wall insulation is last on my list. I don't think the cost vs savings adds up. This may change as energy costs continue to rise. The block/brick construction you describe is probably about as good as it gets. Dead air space is a good insulator and if the mortar for the bricks is in good shape I don't think the cost of filling that space is justified.

Brian Willan
10-05-2008, 1:24 PM
My son lives in a 1930's cement block and brick construction house. It is in excellent shape and he would like to insulate without destroying the exterior appearance. Someone suggested pouring pearlite beads (or something similar) into the block and filling all the air space. There is about a 2" air space between the brick and the block and they are tied together with bricks into the block about every ten courses. Is anyone familiar with something like this and is it a good option. We have added insulation in the ceilings and are looking for more energy efficency. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Bob does have point with all of this excellent suggestions. If his list of things check out and you still decide to proceed with your plan, I would investigate using the slow expansion spray foam insulation that is designed for insulating already finished walls. This Old House uses it on occasion.

Cheers

Brian

Lee Schierer
10-05-2008, 8:18 PM
Around here (Erie, PA) you can buy shredded styrofoam and pour the beads down into block walls from a company that make styrofoam products. The cost is pretty minimal. If you have access to the top of the blocks, you just pour it in. It will flow down the openings and self level. It is easy to do and mice cannot tunnel in it. I did this on my In Laws house 20+ years ago and they immediately noticed the difference. My Father In Law felt he had recovered his investment in the first year.

Lee

Dick Adair
10-05-2008, 9:11 PM
Thanks for the responses. We have done the doors, windows and insulation in the attic. We are just trying to make it more energy efficient.