PDA

View Full Version : It must be Balloon Fiesta time…

Bruce Page
10-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Our annual Balloon Fiesta started up yesterday – along with the rain. We haven’t had any measurable rain for the last 2 months. It started raining last night ~ 9:00 and is still raining this morning. It seems to happen every year. :(:mad::(

Lee DeRaud
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I thought the Balloon Festival worked like the Rose Parade: no matter how crappy the weather is the week before and the week after, it's bright and sunny that morning. :cool:

David G Baker
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
A guy I worked with at a San Francisco TV station wanted to do the balloon thing after he retired. He did retire and went ballooning in New Mexico around ten years ago got caught in a draft, hit some power lines and got electrocuted. :eek:
Some of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen were of balloons similar to the one you posted. They are an awesome site.
Looks like you are getting some long awaited rain. :(

Nancy Laird
10-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Nope, Lee, just the opposite around here. We count on the Fiesta to break the Fall drought---I can't remember the last time that the balloonists were able to get in a full week of flying and activities without something being cancelled.

Bruce, the rain hit your house at 9:00 p.m.? It started raining over here on the other side at about 5:30 and rained all night. It isn't raining now--maybe it will stop at your house soon.

Mitchell Andrus
10-05-2008, 1:55 PM
I've had a balloon ride. It is thrilling, quiet, peaceful.... We could talk to people on the ground watching us as we drifted overhead. Way cool.

Jesse Cloud
10-05-2008, 3:05 PM
Betcha lots of flatlander Texans made it up to the crest of the mountain this morning to see snow!!:eek:

Ben Franz
10-07-2008, 1:34 AM
And the wind too!!! It's been nice and calm at my house (East Mtns) until Saturday. I expect it to let up next May. I guess I better get those loose shingles nailed down soon.

Chuck Saunders
10-07-2008, 7:28 AM
Nope, Lee, just the opposite around here. We count on the Fiesta to break the Fall drought---I can't remember the last time that the balloonists were able to get in a full week of flying and activities without something being cancelled.

I seem to remember getting in a complete festival without rain one year when I was in Jr High. So that would have been probably 73-74. It would seem like they were coming straight down Lomas.