PDA

View Full Version : Garden question

Joe Suelter
05-16-2004, 12:42 PM
How do you guys with gardens stop weeds from overtaking your harvest? I'm talking about a relatively small garden, 20x20. Back in the old days, Dad used to spread his grass clippings between rows to prevent weeds. I've also heard of people using extra roofing shingles as walkways, taking them up year after year. This is a fairly new garden for us (2nd year), so it's fresh soil and the weeds seem to grow overnight. Weeding is a DAILY chore, which in most cases isn't feasable. I'm looking for ideas as to keep the unwanted vegitation to a minimum. Thanks in advance.

Tim Morton
05-16-2004, 1:14 PM
lay 2 or 3 daily newspapers over the ground, and then cover with mulch, this will kill the weeds and as it breaks down will ammend the soil. You can do the same thing with commercial products from gardening centers, but they will not break down. This from my wife who is a master gardener.

Joe Suelter
05-16-2004, 9:46 PM
Tim, will the newspaper last all season? Also, tell your wife I appreciate it! :)

Dean Baumgartner
05-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Joe,
I just use a good layer of grass clippings and let it go at that. The few weeds that do manage to come up past them are easy to take care of as the soil stays nice and moist. One thing to be careful of though, is don't use grass clippings that have had weed-n-feed applied. The weed killer will also do in many garden plants.

Dean

Jim Becker
05-16-2004, 10:30 PM
We use planer/jointer shavings on the garden paths which have landscaping cloth underneath. The shavings breakdown/compost over the year and can then be used the following year to amend the soil in addition to the compost we add. The picture below shows our new "cherry pathways"...:D

Tyler Howell
05-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Joe,

We talked about sheet rock (gypsum ) on the forum a few weeks ago.
Lay down scraps as walking paths. As it breaks down it helps beaf up the soil. The paper is just old news print but I think I,m going to pull it out when the time comes. Putting it to the test right now.;)

Paul Downes
05-17-2004, 4:50 PM
I use newspaper covered with straw. It will break down enough by next Spring so as to be unnoticeable. I compost grass clippings first and till them in, in the Spring. Sheet rock (gypsum), is good for breaking down heavy clay.

Phil Phelps
05-17-2004, 5:05 PM
We use planer/jointer shavings on the garden paths which have landscaping cloth underneath. The shavings breakdown/compost over the year and can then be used the following year to amend the soil in addition to the compost we add. The picture below shows our new "cherry pathways"...:D

Many species of wood shavings and bark are not good for the soil, Jim. Best to check with your local guru first ;)

Joe Suelter
05-17-2004, 5:48 PM
Yeah, I actually knew that, about the shavings...I think I heard once that Walnut is very bad for plants. I like the idea of straw, but the sheetrock thing isn't feasable, due to I have no scraps...they go to the landfill as soon as I finish the job...I HATE clutter! Back to my original question, does anybody know if the newspaper will last the whole season, or will I have to do it more than once???????

Jim Becker
05-17-2004, 10:07 PM
The newspaper will last the season, but only if you cover it with somethink like shavings or mulch. It works very, very good as a weed barrier, but you need to hold it down with something.

Phil Phelps
05-18-2004, 3:53 PM
Yeah, I actually knew that, about the shavings...I think I heard once that Walnut is very bad for plants. I like the idea of straw, but the sheetrock thing isn't feasable, due to I have no scraps...they go to the landfill as soon as I finish the job...I HATE clutter! Back to my original question, does anybody know if the newspaper will last the whole season, or will I have to do it more than once???????

I was at an organic nersury Sunday. Under the pine needles they used as mulch was regular cardboard. As Jim said, if you cover over the papers with a mulch, it will last quiet a while. Cypress mulch, sold at the home centers, is one of the best. Cheap, too.

Joe Suelter
05-18-2004, 5:50 PM
That's the answer I was looking for, guys, thanks a lot! I knew the papers had to be covered with something, just wasn't quite sure if they would last the summer without having to be ripped up and replaced. My neighbor just had 2 tons of mulch delivered, and have only used about 1/4 of it, and are just about completed with their intended project....if I ask real nice, perhaps they can share a little!!!!!

Tim Morton
05-18-2004, 9:48 PM
I would tread very carefully when asking the neighbors about taking some mulch, and ask the husband!! my wife treats her mulch like gold, and will not even share it with her own mother. :D