PDA

View Full Version : Hook is deep

Chris Barnett
10-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Tried 3520 for first time, on cocobolo, also a first. Wonder if the various rosewoods would have similar machining characteristics, or is that just typical of the denser woods, like teak, ebony, snakewood etc. The cutting action was pure pleasure. Have applied the finish but pens are not yet assembled.
If not typical, what woods would be similar to cocobolo other than the irritating characteristic of the dust; was so captivated by the cutting that I forgot to use a mask and had not yet connected the DC. Bad stuff. Did connect the PM plastic dust catcher on the lathe to my DC....works nicely and catches all the small stuff and most of the larger chips. Works so well will not use a mask at all, just face shield.
Cannot wait to try a bowl now.

Allen Neighbors
10-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Cocobolo is great! I love to turn it. Yes, kin to it are the various Rosewoods. I turned a HF from rosewood once, and the day after I turned it the man who sent it, sent an email telling me it was toxic. I got a sinus and lung infection that lasted for three months.
Ive turned HFs from Cocobolo, also, both before and since, and haven't had a problem.
I still don't wear a mask, because I'm hidden in a beard, so I wear a face mask, and have my air cleaner on (above the lathe) and my exhaust fans on in the window, and a fan blowing across my right shoulder, toward the exhaust fans. I haven't had any problems since.
Glad your hooked... you'll have a lot of fun!

robert hainstock
10-05-2008, 2:02 PM
Love to turn the stuff and the other "sister" woods mentioned. You might want to dip those pen blanks in acetone to lesson the surface oils that wil turn your finish to mush. :eek::)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2008, 7:18 PM
Love turning cocobolo and the other rosewoods. I have a air cleaner I purchased above the lathe, DC and a fan blowing and I still wear my Trend. Your dust collector is not going to get all the dust I can tell ya from experience. Like Allen I went to the doctor and he told me I had a sinus infection and my lungs were irritated just wearing a face schield running my DC. He said I could get emphysema if I wasn't careful. So be careful.

Chris Barnett
10-06-2008, 6:18 AM
Will take your suggestions and wear a mask also since it is so easy. With the exhaust hood almost touching the spindle and foot, and with a face shield, thought the DC would have been enough for the small stuff. It is so noisy though....pulling maybe 1200 cfm right over the pen blanks.
The DC pulls a lot from the TS but I can see the dust still on the table; I had removed the shield which would have helped with dust control. And the BS dust collection is the pits but I have a vacuum cleaner tool to be mounted under the table which should double DC effectiveness.

So I understand then that the other woods mentioned are similar in workability to the cocobolo. What about the more readily available imports like jatoba, sapele, padauk, bubinga or purple heart; are these woods used only for the non-curvey assemblies? Would any of these cut similar to cocobolo? Only familiar with some American hardwoods like walnut, oak, hickory, pecan etc.

Brodie Brickey
10-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Chris,

If you like cocobolo check out blackwood. Certainly not inexpensive, but it turns beautifully and really looks nice. Lot of oil in that wood also.

For a more reasonable price, try walnut.

Allen Neighbors
10-06-2008, 9:19 PM
Lignum Vitae also turns well... sharp tools necessary, fast speed also, and light cuts. Will chip easily, according to Ruth.
Purple Heart turns well, but not as nice as cocobolo. Purple Heart is the only one of those others mentioned in your last post that I've turned. :)