PDA

View Full Version : Walkable finish on a threshold?

Mark Rios
05-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Can anyone give me some advice on a finish that I can put on a threshold that I am making for a bathroom tile job that I just completed? The threshold facilitates the transition between the new tile and the hallway carpet. The height difference is about 1/2" TO 9/16" and the threshold is 4-1/2" wide.

Would I use a regular polyurethane finish or is there a seperate type of floor finish that I should use?

Thanks for everyone's help on this question and those that I've asked in the past few weeks. Everyone's been a great help.

chris toomey
05-16-2004, 12:48 PM
how about a marble threshold? holds up to water well...don't have to refinish it...i used them on both of the bathrooms i've redone. i'm happy with them.

Joe Suelter
05-16-2004, 1:02 PM
My Benjamin Moore paint dealer has some stuff called "Stays Clear", which is used for floors primarily, although I personally LOVE the stuff!! I used it on my bar, on a friends tounge + groove ceiling, a nd many other projects. It lives up to its name, and stays crystal clear. I made all the thresholds in our house of red oak, covered with this stuff, and its been almost 6 years, not even a scratch!!! For about $6 for a quart, try some out, I think you'll like it! It can be rolled or brushed on, and is somewhat self-leveling, and is blueish white when wet, then dries to a nice, smooth clear surface.

Mark Singer
05-16-2004, 1:34 PM
"Glitza" or Moisture Cure

Todd Burch
05-16-2004, 3:07 PM
I use Pratt & Lambert's "Varmour" for thresholds. Oil based, 3 coats, you are good to go.

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 1:04 AM
In my bathroom, I made the transition from the marble tile to the the oak floor with, well, a piece of oak flooring! :) I just coated it with 3 coats of waterbourne polyurethane.