PDA

View Full Version : Hard wood flooring for bench top

Bob Noles
10-04-2008, 7:40 PM
I have a very sturdy workbench and have been happy with it for the 4 years I have had it. No... it is not the traditional style, but rather a hybrid combo of utility/shop/woodworking bench. It is 2... yes 2 laminated solid core doors covered with tempered hardboard and wrapped with an oversized 5 inch apron all around. I would like to reduce this apron to about 3 1/2 inches for better clamping and give my bench a faux traditional looking top. I was thinking of laminating hardwood flooring to the solid doors and then flattening and finishing with a nice oil.

My questions are..... will this work? What problems am I looking for in doing this? What is the best way to attach this flooring to the doors? Should I T&G or mill these edges off for a jointed glued edge? Should I forget this and just make a laminated top and be thru with it? I believe Harry was tossing around a thought or 2 on this in a past thread and kind of got me thinking in that direction.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Tom Hamilton
10-04-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55813&d=1169559535

Hi Bob: I did this using 3/4 thick 3" wide oak T&G flooring. It was planed but not finished. I use my nail gun to attach it to the MDF base and glued the edges. Don't ask why I glued the edges, I just thought it a good idea.

Still in place, I've not seen any warping or buckling. Every six months or so I plane it down to fresh wood, apply a little BLO followed by wipe on varnish the next day and SCHZAAM new top.

My bench is 42 X 62 an it took 3 bundles of the Lumber Liquidators oak seconds (99 cents a sq foot) to get the top covered. I was choosy and used the longest, cleanest pieces in the bundles. The center strip is some cherry I had available.

Good luck, Tom

Bob Noles
10-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Tom,

That came out looking awesome and exactly the results I seek. Thanks so much for the reply and picture. This really helps me a lot.