PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Problems ??

Julie Wright
05-16-2004, 8:54 AM
Ok, I finally got the drivers downloaded from Chaintech, 12hrs.. Ohhh I love dial-up, (But its Free) !! Now I still have not changed the BIOS level in my computer. It is at A02. I know many years OLD...
Should I update it? and How do I go about changing it?
I am planning to go to Win XP later next week, or should I wait until then?

THanks

Chuck Wintle
05-16-2004, 11:08 AM
To flash the BIOS you will need a boot disk that contains the Flash program and the new BIOS file(usually a.BIN file) which was A06 if I remember the post correctly. When you boot into DOS then you will need to start the flash program. What flash program has DELL provided?

Julie Wright
05-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Dell has been down so, I do not know what Flash program they are providing.

Maybe John does???? :)

Chuck Wintle
05-17-2004, 12:16 PM
IMHO I would install WinXP and see how the computer works at that point. You may not need to update the BIOS at all. Install the new video card before installing the new OS. Don't forget to get your IE favourites, Email and cookies saved to a file which you can then import into WinXP.

John Miliunas
05-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Julie, typically, when you download the BIOS update from Dell, if you download the "floppy" version, all you do is: Put a fresh, formatted floppy in the drive and hit the executable, which you downloaded from Dell. It will then create a *bootable* floppy for you, along with the flash. You then take the diskette and boot with it. It launches automatically, checks to be sure you have the correct BIOS meant for the update and continues. It will prompt you to continue. If all checks out OK, simply respond to the prompt. It will "tell you" when it's done. Remove the diskette and reboot the box. All done. Typically, should take under a couple minutes of time. I would recommend you do the BIOS update prior to installing XP. :cool:

Chuck Wintle
05-17-2004, 12:28 PM
The following is a list of fixes the new BIOS addresses for a Dimension 4300 which is your machine if I remember a previous post:
The following changes have been made to the A05 BIOS to create A06:
1. Updated microcode and SMBIOS support for newer processors.
2. Prevented boot-up of system when detecting a 533 FSB CPU.
3. Fixed possible incorrect setting of 'System Time' in Setup.
4. Fixed boot code to prevent problem with no boot devices or with a dormant devices being removed.
5. Fixed hang problem with Creative Audigy and large sound samples.
6. Fixed issue when resuming from Hibernate with keyboard & mouse swapped.
7. Reduced POST time when no PS/2 keyboard or Mouse installed.
8. Fixed false error on Floppy Drive when running Diags From Bootable Diags CD without a Floppy Drive.
9. Improved USB code in USB hubs processing. Also, fixed issues with some USB devices causing a keyboard POST error with a USB keyboard.
10. Adjusted USB Emulation support for special keys, and non-US keyboards. 11. Added two new diagnostic LED codes for better memory failure isolation. No Memory Detected (ABCD=Grn, Yel, Yel, Yel) Memory Configuration Failure (ABCD=Grn, Yel, Grn, Yel)
12. Added IDE UDMA support to speed up resume from Hibernate (when enabled).
13. Added support for additional models in the 4300 Series.

"Copied from the Dell website and pasted here" :)

Julie Wright
05-17-2004, 3:55 PM
Man you guys know your computer stuff..

Thanks

John Miliunas
05-17-2004, 9:58 PM
Well Julie, on this one I (the BIOS & driver updates), I can wing it pretty much on my own. BUT, for much of the other stuff, it's often not a case of knowing the answer, but where to find it! Good luck! :cool: