PDA

View Full Version : Quick newbie ULS4.60 question

Tor Amundson
10-04-2008, 6:28 AM
Since my sales/support guys are out for the weekend, and the laser just shipped in today, I figured I'd ask here to see if there were any hints. Otherwise I'll just wait for Monday when Engravers Solutions re-opens. :)

I bought the ULS VLS4.60 w/60w laser. It came with a 2.0 lens and the focus tool. The plain table top (the built-in one with rulers) cannot raise up high enough to focus properly! there's about 3/16" of an inch before the edge of the carriage will touch the focusing tool at the right place, but the table won't go that high. Indeed, tests done with the plain table show that I'm definitely out of focus.

If I put in the vector cutting table (which requires me to open a vent panel in the back and then lower the table pretty far), then there's enough Z motion to focus properly. The focus tool 'tips' just like it should and the results look beautiful.

For now I'm just using it with the vector table in place, but it bums me out that I can't focus a 2.0 lens without it. Has anybody else seen this problem? Is it maybe a limit switch telling my machine the Z table is at the 'top' when it really isn't yet? Or some other adjustment I can check or make? Or is this normal for a VLS4.60, and I'd need a 3" or 4" lens to focus to the bare tabletop?

---

One other thing while I'm at it. The 4.60 came with an 'install' guide that shows how to set it up and run your first job (even has a little piece of anodized aluminum stuck on the last page to use). However, that's it. There is no 'users manual', software manual, how to set/use materials guide or anything. Are us new ULS folk 100% on our own? The software is pretty self-explanatory and after 6 hours of playing I've had great success... but I feel that maybe I'm missing a manual.

Mike Null
10-04-2008, 7:55 AM
Tor

I'm not familiar with your machine but mine came with the various manuals in PDF form. I would look in your driver files or in any cd that came with your machine for the manuals.

They would not ship a machine without a manual.

Welcome to SMC.

Scott Shepherd
10-04-2008, 8:32 AM
Not sure if this will solve your issue, but what I have found is that the Z axis will not come up past where the z zero point is located. So if it's set wrong, then you can't manually make it go past that zero point.

What you have to do is go into the system or diagnostics page and select "Calibrate" on the 2.0 lens, and then it will let you raise it to the new focal point. Once you set that, then you should be fine. But you are correct, you cannot manually raise it up any higher. That needs to be done using the calibrate tools in the system area of the control panel.

That's my guess. Not sure if it's right, but I had that problem when I changed to a 1.5 lens. I couldn't get it to go up any higher, but calibrating it allowed me to do it.

Tor Amundson
10-05-2008, 6:46 AM
The calibration did it. :) Thank you!

Yeah, no manuals, just the 'installation guide'. I'll be asking my sales rep for the full manual set on Monday.

The laser is working out great so far... but I'm hoping to find another VLS4.60@60w to compare numbers with. On some of the presets things work perfect, but on others I seem to need to crank up the power a bit to get the results I expect. Everything seems to be in alignment and the laser power is the same across the table, so maybe I should rent one of those power meters and make sure my tube is doing what it should.

http://images.monocerosmedia.com/gallery/d/124713-1/IMGP0055.JPG

http://pics.livejournal.com/tugrik/pic/000c049x

http://pics.livejournal.com/tugrik/pic/000bzx8w

fred sanchez
10-05-2008, 2:13 PM
Looks cool tor .

I also got my laser this past week and im waiting for my training.. May i ask you what setings did u use to cut out those wheeles?. I cant figure how to make it cut wood or plastic. How do u like it sofar ?

Mike Mackenzie
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Tor,

Did you get your Training? The manuals are in process for these systems have your rep. give you the manual for the platform they are basically the same just a different system name.

Scott was correct the Z axis will only come up to a point and then you must calibrate the lens and move it up some more sometimes you have to do this several times until it is set. Once it is calibrated then all you need is the material thickness. Note calibrate the solid table then calibrate the cutting table.

This is just a safety feature so that parts on the table will not raise up into the lens carriage. Once it is calibrated everything is set.

I would ask that you get the training your rep should have the power meter and double check the system to be sure everything is correct. Also did you set-up Corel correctly?

Mike Mackenzie
10-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Fred,

We are waiting for you to get ahold of us and we will be out there to train you. Give us a call when you have things ready.

Tor Amundson
10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Nope, no training, nor was there ever offer of one. Engraver's Solution sold me the laser, it arrived, and that was that. They're down in LA and I'm up in the SF Bay Area; I apparently don't have a "local" ULS dealer.

I'll ask for the PLS full manual then while the VLS-platform manuals are still under development. Thank you!

Yes, the calibration fixed it. I'm still concerned about actual power output and I've got some questions about acrylic cutting and best settings for some types of anodized aluminum, but so far I'm figuring it out OK.