PDA

View Full Version : Colorfill Granite & Marble

Wesley Perreira
10-04-2008, 12:13 AM
I've read a bunch of previous threads regarding this issue but none have mentioned Van-Son CML-Oil Base Plus, Back-Filling Ink. Sold by Lasersketch and says that it is specially formulated for marble/granite stone. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? See it here http://www.lasersketch.com/catalog/LS%20Laser%20Supplies.htm

I have tried the acrylic paint, enamel, and markers, but found that the acrylic paint with the business card works best for me. The WD40 method I find quite difficult because although it does shade in the engraved area, most of the paint gets wiped away. The text seems to come out great, however the photos aren't very presentable at all. Just looking for something to make things a little easier...if there is such a thing:confused:

Doug Bergstrom
10-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I use this method and is works well. Van son is an offset printers ink. Having been in the offset world for years I have tried using some of our old ink for color fill and it works very well. Printers ink is thick sort of like molasses so it tends to stay better in the etched areas when wiping off.

Darren Null
10-04-2008, 2:17 PM
With WD-40, 90% of the art is having the right squeegee. And engraving deep enough so the paint has definite pits to sit in.
Something else that I've found, is it's really important to scrub the marble after engraving, otherwise the bottom is full of dust that the paint either doesn't stick to or falls out/cracks afterwards.

Will have to give some printers ink a go.

Bill Cunningham
10-04-2008, 10:40 PM
If it's 'real' marble it should not need a whitening additive.. Marble bleaches white while it's being etched.. Make sure what you getting 'is' marble.. I recently received some stone that was 'supposed' to be "laser grade" marble. I put it in the machine and used my marble setting (which are quite a bit different than Granite) and the piece was ruined.. The material was 'not' marble.. The replacement piece was also 'not' marble.. Both were very good, very black stone, but NOT marble.. Marble takes quite a bit more power to etch than granite.. I etch granite at 90-95% speed, and 100 power, marble is 40% speed, 100 power.. If your stone etches gray, it's probably not marble.. Try the acid test.. On the back, put a drop of muriatic acid.. It will bubble for a 1/2 second, as it eats the surface powder.. If there is no bubbles, and you have a scrap piece, put a drop on the front. If it's marble, when you try to wipe it off, it will mar the surface and turn chalky white where the acid hits.. If it not marble, nothing will happen. Granite is pretty impervious to acid.. Marble is very sensitive to any king of acid. I had a fellow hand me a piece after eating a orange, the citrus acid in the orange perm. marred the surface with his finger prints.. This is why marble is for inside use, and granite for outside..