PDA

View Full Version : New blade guard dust collector

Roy J Couvillion
10-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey guys. Here's a new dust collecting blade guard I designed. Let me know what you think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9HhNVVQk4

Mark Elmer
10-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Looks good. I'd like to have one. Just an observation, do you really feel safe not wearing some type of eye protection?

Scott Rollins
10-04-2008, 10:07 AM
That is very ingenious. I really like it. No other overarm guard I have seen will pivot at the top like that. Very nice. It notes that this is the production model....which implies it is available somewhere????

Victor Stearns
10-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Very Nice, I especially like the parallel arms with the hose internal to the links. Do you plan on selling the system or plans?
Victor

Don Bullock
10-04-2008, 12:06 PM
That's a very interesting piece of engineering. The only thing that I noticed from the video is that it takes a lot of effort to move the arm from one position to the other. I wonder if people would actually go through all the motions considering that many, if not most, woodworkers don't use any guard on their saw and even fewer use one on their router table. Your video of the first prototype http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFBXCIIdfG0&NR=1 shows quite a few improvements have been made in this model. I think that the addition of something like springs or hydraulics used a lot of different kinds of equipment like the on pictured below would help facilitate the movement from one position to another.

http://www.metris.com/images/784.mca_web_eng.jpg

I also echo Mark's concern about wearing safety eye protection in addition to the guard.

Michael Pauly
10-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Looks good. I'd like to have one. Just an observation, do you really feel safe not wearing some type of eye protection?

I don't think any of those 'action' shots were made at the same time. Looks like he's just going through the motions while sans eye protection.

Wade Lippman
10-04-2008, 2:09 PM
It is a great guard, but I doubt you will be able to price it low enough to sell any.

Jeff Duncan
10-04-2008, 2:20 PM
I don't know what the other guys are watching, but the link he has listed doesn't show him making a single cut, or even turning the machine on without eye protection? It actually doesn't show his face at all during the cuts???
Aside of that it's a very clever design that IMHO would be too cumbersome and likely expensive for my shop. The Beisemeyer guard works well enough for my needs. I just can't see this one competing cost wise but
maybe the price will surprisingly low?
good luck,
JeffD

Gary Lange
10-04-2008, 2:42 PM
I don't think any of those 'action' shots were made at the same time. Looks like he's just going through the motions while sans eye protection.

Going throught the motions or not Safety is Job One. It should be first and foremost in our life and he should have had the eye protection on in an instructional video so as to imply Safety First.