PDA

View Full Version : Cutting bones with a CMS blade?

Mark Rios
10-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Anyone know if cutting animal bones with a miter saw blade is hard on, or bad for, the blade? I bought some cow bones for my dogs and I'd like to cut them smaller.

Is this a no-no or what? Can I use a normal top quality blade or should I put on a lesser quality, construction type blade?

Thanks very much.

Barry Stratton
10-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I've used a cheap blade to cut moose leg bones up for my dogs in the past. Cuts easy, stinks like a bad trip to the dentist, and "enjoy" the marrow!

Dennis Peacock
10-04-2008, 1:59 AM
Cuts easy, stinks like a bad trip to the dentist......

ROFL!!!!!!!! Too Funny!!!!!! But oh so true. :)

Tom Veatch
10-04-2008, 2:13 AM
I'm sure it would make the cuts, probably with some kickback involved, but I've never done it nor do I expect that I ever will. If nothing else the thought of cleaning all the bits and pieces of decaying animal matter out of the saw before the smell got really ripe would send me to the borg to get a cheap, disposable hand saw.

Rich Engelhardt
10-04-2008, 5:03 AM
Hello,
Leave 'em as is and don't cut them.
Bones aren't good for dogs.
They splinter and the splinters will work there way into the dog's intestines.
It's an expensive surgical procedure to have them removed & agony for the pooch.

Big knuckle bones that they can't get their mouth over enough to break up, if you absolutely have to give "Fido" a bone.
The second they show signs of breaking them up, toss the bone.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-04-2008, 8:33 AM
I'd use a hacksaw if anything - doin't want "gunk" all over my tools :)

we used to just give 'em to the dogs whole. and I agree with Rich about the bick knuckles, except our dogs still managed to crack them into pieces.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-04-2008, 8:33 AM
Barry - beautiful dog pic...

Eric Larsen
10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
+1 on don't give bones to dogs...

I worked in a kennel long enough to know that it's not a question of "if" your dogs will have intestinal problems. Even if you elect for surgery ($$$$$$$$$), there's only a 30-40% chance.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html

Rawhide chew toys.

Beef bones are best cut with a hand saw in order to roast them and make stock. Then we toss the bones in a deep hole in the garden.

Matt Ocel
10-04-2008, 5:27 PM

I worked in a kennel long enough to know that it's not a question of "if" your dogs will have intestinal problems. Even if you elect for surgery ($$$$$$$$$), there's only a 30-40% chance.

Rawhide chew toys.

Beef bones are best cut with a hand saw in order to roast them and make stock. Then we toss the bones in a deep hole in the garden.

I have always been told that rawhide = salmonilla

Jim O'Dell
10-04-2008, 6:00 PM

Rawhide chew toys.

Eric, you would probably freak out :eek: at what we feed our dogs then, so I'll not say. :D
Yes you do have to be careful with bones. For that matter, you have to be careful with Nylabones. Don't ever cook animal bones for dogs, especially bird. Be with your dog when he/she is chewing on a bone so you can rescue any piece that gets broken off before they can swallow it. This requires that your dog will allow you to take something out if it's mouth that they don't want to give up. You have to start this training early and often.
We had one of our Irish back in the 80's break a molar off smooth with the gum chewing on a nylabone. Had to do a root canal. Dr wanted to do a cap, :eek: but we decided to just have him fill the tooth smooth so it wouldn't cause a problem. Jim.

Barry Stratton
10-04-2008, 8:59 PM
Barry - beautiful dog pic...

Thanks.

Blackstone's Misty Sunrise.......12/99 - 7/07.

She made the trip in the truck with me from Alaska to MN. Cancer. She was a GREAT one.