PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Problem

Jason Christenson
10-03-2008, 8:43 PM
Here's the situation: I need to remove and replace a piece of brass that is glued to a very expensive piece of glass with I don't know what kind of glue. What can I try to use to dissolve the unknown glue that absolutely will not hurt the glass? Did I mention that the glass is very expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Bruce Page
10-03-2008, 9:04 PM
Here's the situation: I need to remove and replace a piece of brass that is glued to a very expensive piece of glass with I don't know what kind of glue. What can I try to use to dissolve the unknown glue that absolutely will not hurt the glass? Did I mention that the glass is very expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Jason, the first thing I would try is a heat gun or hair drier to soften up the adhesive. If that didn’t work, I’d slowly drip some Goof-Off and hope it would dissolve the bond.

Andrew Derhammer
10-03-2008, 9:18 PM
Is there any glue sticking out? If there is tell us about the color and "feel" of the glue. It might help some in figuring this out.

John Keeton
10-04-2008, 8:27 AM
Acetone if it is crazy glue, but it could be one of the UV cured glues, and heat usually works on those. When you say expensive, is it stained glass that is leaded? If so, you would need to be careful about getting anything on the lead and discoloring it.

Doug Shepard
10-04-2008, 8:34 AM
I'd try the heat gun too but boiling (or near) hot water would probably work too. Is this something small enough to soak?

Jason Christenson
10-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Soaking it may be an option. I never thought of that. It is not stained glass, it is blown.

Jason

Jason Christenson
10-06-2008, 9:28 AM
One more thing, if I manage to pull this off. What should I use to stick it back on?

Jason

David G Baker
10-06-2008, 9:43 AM
Jason,
When I have problems removing sticky things from items that can be soaked I use liquid dishwasher soap mixed with hot water. The mix will remove some paints and most glues. If you use it wear rubber gloves because the mix is nasty to skin.

Charles Seehuetter Panama City
10-06-2008, 1:24 PM
One more thing, if I manage to pull this off. What should I use to stick it back on?

Jason

Jason, I was just wondering if it's stuck on that good and you want to put it back on, why take it off in the first place?

Chris Padilla
10-06-2008, 2:49 PM
How about some pictures?! :D