PDA

View Full Version : Drawers or doors on the router table?

Rich Engelhardt
10-03-2008, 7:07 PM
Hello,
I'm at the final stages of making this Shop Notes router table.
I have the towers made & joined at the center and the Rockler top mounted. The plans call for doors on the sides and drawers in the center, as in the picture.
I'm wondering though if drawers in the towers would be more useful?

Karl Brogger
10-03-2008, 7:46 PM
I'd make it a bit bigger for one.

I like drawers myself. Easier to find stuff in the back, and you don't have to move something every time you look for it.

Frank Guerin
10-03-2008, 7:53 PM
Anything router related is stored in my router table. That consist of routers, jigs, and any attachments for router use such as edge guides, circle cutting jigs, bits, wrenches, and what ever else I have forgotten. I have to much dedicated space for bits.
More larger drawers in my case would be better.
Hope this helps.

Chris A Larson
10-04-2008, 8:58 AM
I just moved into my new router table yesterday and I think drawers are the way to go - it's much easier to find and retrieve things. My table has 4 slide-out bit drawers with a total of 120 slots for bits. For me, that was dumb. Someday I may have 120 router bits but I'm a good ways from that now. In hindsight, I wish at least one of the bit drawers was a small drawer to hold wrenches, spare collets, etc. (I think I see some retro-fitting in my future...)

Tony Bilello
10-04-2008, 9:15 AM
add drawers as you need them inside the door. Whether it be doors or drawers, this is valuable storage space. It's more efficient to build drawers as you go and not lock yourself into any one size. You really dont know what to store where untill you start using the router table a lot. YOur habits will dictate what you need.

Jim Becker
10-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Drawer fan here, but it would depend upon what your actual storage needs are...

William OConnell
10-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Drawer vote here. Its just easier to gewt at suff and seems to keep the dust out better

Von Bickley
10-04-2008, 4:03 PM
If you decide to use doors, you could use some pull-out trays....;)

Rich Engelhardt
10-05-2008, 6:18 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the input!
I priced some drawer slides then,
I "cheaped out" and put on doors on the towers.
I wanted to try my hand as some face framing anyhow so I figured I might as well give it a go on this.
It turned out ok. Not any great work of art, but ok.