PDA

View Full Version : Dual Port Dust Collection

Anthony Whitesell
10-03-2008, 3:33 PM
If you have multiple dust ports on a tool whether it be a TS, Jointer, BS, or router table, how did you go about connecting the ports to the DC? Did you connect both ports both to a Y or T near the machine, do you have two hoses run to the DC main, something in the middle, or something completely different?

Todd Hyman
10-03-2008, 4:15 PM
I just installed a Shark Guard onto my Delta Contractor TS and used some 2 1/2" flex pipe, two shopvac 2 1/2" hardpipe extensions and and a 2 1/2" elbow that coonects to the "slanted" portion of a 4" y fitting. It works great and I can still move my TS around.

Lance Norris
10-03-2008, 4:31 PM
I have a Unisaw, and dust collection was marginal at best. I ran a second, seperate 4" line to the saw and connected it into the motor cover door. The results were dramatic. Now the saw is almost completely dust free. My dust collector has a 3 way "y" and I ran 2 of those connection ports to the saw. Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76571

Tom Veatch
10-03-2008, 4:36 PM
Wye on the tool side of the blast gate.

Would not recommend a tee. Too abrupt a change in the flow direction from the side connection. If you're using PVC, a closet tee might be OK but a wye is better.

Dave Bender
10-03-2008, 4:57 PM
I service each with a separate blast gate. You need to make sure that your main and branch lines can support both ports. For example, if you have a 4" port on the cabinet of a shaper and a 4" port on the shaper fence then you need a 6" branch and main (at least) to support it. A more typical setup of a 2 1/2-3" line to a table saw guard and 4" port to the cabinet needs a 5"-6" branch and main to support it. So a 6" branch line running to a blast gate then to a wye or T to a 2 1/2" line and 4" line would work.

glenn bradley
10-03-2008, 5:10 PM
Depending on the tool's performance I will blast gate each. The BS and RT seems fine with no gates. The overarm vs. cabinet of the TS gets gated in favor of the overarm. My overarm and BS feeder gets moved to other tools at times so it is gated by itself. Other gates down the line as required.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-03-2008, 6:14 PM
I service each with a separate blast gate. You need to make sure that your main and branch lines can support both ports. For example, if you have a 4" port on the cabinet of a shaper and a 4" port on the shaper fence then you need a 6" branch and main (at least) to support it.

Dave...Well said.

-Jeff :)

Anthony Whitesell
10-06-2008, 1:11 PM
I have already run into that issue once and I think I'm about to have it again.

When I built my router table I asked a similiar question in a more rookie, less knowledgable terms and got the wrong answer. I quickly learned exactly what you said.

To figure out on your own, The area of the ports cannot exceed the area of the main.

4" main = 1 2.5" and 1 2.5" or 3"
5" main = 4 2.5" or up to 1 4" and 1 3"
6" main = 2 4" or 1 5" and 1 3" or 1 4" and 2 3"

This is foregoing any other losses that maybe incurred by the design of a particular system.

My 1 1/2" HP Rigid DC only has a single 4" inlet, so I am in a tough spot for the time being, I hope it works well enough.