PDA

View Full Version : Ron Brese Plane Irons

Michael Faurot
10-03-2008, 2:31 PM
I've been reading about Ron Brese's plane irons for awhile and I've been interested in giving one of them a try in a wooden Krenov style plane. I've been especially keen to see how well a 1/4" thick blade works and how much chatter that will remove. So I went to Ron's site today to see about ordering the 2"W x 5"L x 1/4"T blade, worked, for $56.

I go through the check out options and then get to a point where the system tells me what the shipping and handling will be and I'm shocked at the price of $24, bringing the total cost of this blade to $80. Is this a mistake, or a malfunction in the ordering system? I'd really like to buy one of these blades, but $24 shipping/handling for just a plane blade is excessive to me.

Johnny Kleso
10-03-2008, 5:36 PM
I think thats the price for shipping a plane not a blade..

I think anything morethat $10 for a flat rate box is to high...

Myself I would use a flat rate envelope with blade strapped to cardboard and add insurance for about $9.00

Lowell Smith
10-03-2008, 6:30 PM
I'd suggest giving Ron a call or e-mail. This is a lot more than
I paid for an iron and lever cap. Also, when testing Ron's site
I found 24 dollars, as you said, for the iron, and 14 for a lever-
cap/ iron combination. So, clearly something is messed up
with the calculation of shipping.

I will say that I'm impressed with the iron and lever-cap that
I bought.

Good Luck!

Doug Shepard
10-03-2008, 6:35 PM
... Is this a mistake, or a malfunction in the ordering system? ...

That would be my guess. The blade is definitely heavier than most but not that heavy. Give him a call. He speaks amazingly good English for somebody from Jawja.:D

Ron Brese
10-03-2008, 6:41 PM
Michael,

I apologize for the error and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I have resolved the issue and the shipping charge has been changed to $8.00. Some how in the set up on this item a shipping premium was entered in error.

Thanks,

Ron Brese

Brese Plane

Ron Brese
10-03-2008, 6:56 PM
Michael,

Please check your PM's prior to ordering the iron.

Hey Doug! Thanks for your vote of confidence on my communication skills. (grin) I once was in a conversation with a fellow from Scotland, a by stander commented they he thought we were from the same place! Go figure! (grin)

Michael Faurot
10-04-2008, 1:07 AM
Ron is as good as his word and the order system has indeed been fixed. I just now made the order for the 2" worked 1/4" thick iron and I'm looking forward to planing a new smoother around it.

Thanks Ron!

Chuck Hamman
10-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Michael,
You're going to love that iron. I have one of Ron's 1-3/4" blades and I built three planes around it.