View Full Version : Will my DC do this?

Larry Richardson
10-03-2008, 2:03 PM
My shop/garage(attached) caught fire last week :(. Fortunately, I was able to get it out pretty quick. No one was hurt, and most of the $$ tools were saved. It is gutted and being reworked now.

The smoke, however, made it throughout the 1 story ranch attic, saturating the cellulose insulation with the aroma of smoke. It all has to come out.

My question is would I be able to get this out (with the necessary hosing and helper) uing a HF 2hp dust collector?

I have about 1250 sq ft and about (a lousy) 6" of insulation (625 cu ft). I also have a big dumpster. BIG.

I have had quotes for about $1000, which I don't mind, but due to the hurricane that hit Louisville, it is a couple of weeks before the contractors can get in.

Other than being a PITA and not very great work, do you think it will work?

Anthony Whitesell
10-03-2008, 2:11 PM
The thing I would worry about is getting fiberglass stuck in the filter or filter bags. I would try to find some sacrificial bags to use instead of your good WWing ones.

Robert Strebler
10-03-2008, 2:28 PM
Larry, that's an interesting idea. Since it's cellulose insulation, it might just work.

If you can get the DC up there and hoses into the areas, it may do the trick. It will fill up bags quickly.

The smell may have also have attached itself to the studs and other materials in the attic. You many want to see if you can rent an industrial ozone machine to treat the attic area as well.

Larry Richardson
10-03-2008, 2:33 PM
The house is about 50' x 25' and I would use some plastic bags for the collection. It will be going through those fast.

Might just do this....

BTW, it is all cellulose so no fiberglass to worry about. Also not too concerned about the dust - the drywall work will create more.

Larry Richardson
10-03-2008, 2:34 PM
. You many want to see if you can rent an
industrial ozone machine to treat the attic area as well.

I think the smoke was limited to about 15 minutes up there, but where would one find one of these?

Jerry Booher
10-03-2008, 2:43 PM
When a house in my neighborhood burned, the contractor sprayed a gray "primer" throughout the house to seal the smoky smell.

Jerry

Robert Strebler
10-03-2008, 2:59 PM
I think the smoke was limited to about 15 minutes up there, but where would one find one of these?

Larry, Sunbelt Rentals and those types of places may carry one. If not, you may be able to rent one from one of the local fire/water damage restoration companies. It will chemically break down the smoke smell. Also, as was mentioned, sealing the beams with primer will eliminate any chance of smoke smell. I would try Ozone first and primer as a last resort if it was light smoke in this area. Ozone should take care of it.

Rob Russell
10-04-2008, 3:03 PM
It could work. I'd get one of those trash can separators and put the garbage bags in that to capture the insulation. When sucking it up, remember that the DC has high airflow, low static pressure (suction). It'll work best when you feed in smaller amounts of stuff rather than trying to use it like a shop vac - my guess is the tubing would clog up if you try to use it like a shop vac.

Rick Potter
10-04-2008, 11:43 PM
First, I wonder if the insulation would just get clogged in the impeller.

Second, be sure you use hose with no wire in it while poking around in the attic with all that wiring in it.

Rick Potter

Gary Elore
10-07-2008, 9:35 AM
Any chance you can get the impeller discharge hose to blow directly into the dumpster instead of the bag??

That would certainly save a lot of emptying and carrrying.

Gary

Larry Richardson
10-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Yep, that is exactly what I did to start with. I had a kid with a hose on a mister to help with the dust.

It ended up being not very much cellulose, and a bunch more bats that had to be pulled out by hand. All in all - 2 people, 2.5 hours, $1000 saved.