PDA

View Full Version : Keoni's Koa

Bob Hallowell
10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I did a wood swap with Keoni, He sent me this peice of Koa. It's 8.5"x4" Cocobolo collar and buffed AO. I think it looks better than the pic's show. the finish is very glossy.

Please feel free to critique

Bob
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/bobha8/koa.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow Bob that is a pretty piece. I like the form, wood and finish.

Steve Schlumpf
10-03-2008, 1:28 PM
Very impressive work Bob! Beautiful wood, great form and I really like the way you made the collar part of the form instead of having it sit on top! Very nice work! You sure don't have to worry about fingers checking out the inside of this form! LOL

David Drickhamer
10-03-2008, 2:05 PM
WOW, I'm impressed. You do beautiful work. I especially like the way you did the top.

I've never done a HF but after seeing this piece that will change soon.

What kind of tool did you use? I need all the help I can get.

Time to buy more tools.
:D
Dave

Gary Herrmann
10-03-2008, 2:08 PM
Beautiful, Bob. Just beautiful.

John Frigillana
10-03-2008, 2:24 PM
;)Bob, that HF turned out beautiful. You did a marvelous job! I 'm jealous with envy on your creative works. I'm going to try and do something with a piece from the same batch that I have. The color and depth is amazing. What type of finish did you use? How did the other woods turn out? Great work!!!!:)

Bob Hallowell
10-03-2008, 3:15 PM
Steve,
I know, my dad always sticks his fingers in to see how smooth it is. I told my wife that I was going to tell him this is the smoothest best sanded one I ever did! just feel.

Dick,
I have a monster captured hollowing rig and love it. one thing to note is I hollowed from a 2" hole and put the collar on and finished the collar after the hollowing was done.

Keoni,
that koa has amazing depth. I put on 3 coats of mixwax antique oil which is a wiping varnish waited 2 days and buffed it with the beall system. I used the white diamonds wheel but didn't add any fresh to it as the koa is an open grain dark wood and you would of seen white in it.

I made a little NE out of the little log you sent but I didn't care for it much so I didn't post it. But it was beautiful wood. cream with pink and brown. I would like to get a bigger chunk of it.

Did you do anything with the wood I sent you?

Bob