PDA

View Full Version : *OT* Amended Tax Return Q?

W.C. Turner
03-12-2003, 1:48 PM
Hi,

Any CPA's reading this? I don't want to start any Political Flames here, just looking for info.

Has anybody ever filed an amended tax return? I may need to, and just wanted to know if it's worth the hassel?

Thanks for your reply.

Doyle Alley
03-12-2003, 1:57 PM
It's worth the work in two cases I can think of:

1. You missed something on the original return that the IRS is likely to catch in its automated document matching program (like forgetting to include a W2).

2. You missed a significant deduction or credit that will return enough dollars to your pocket to justify the time it takes to fill out the forms.

Neal McCormick
03-12-2003, 3:46 PM
I am a CPA. It's not really a hassle. If you paid someone to do your return then I would approach them about amending it IF it is because of an error or omission on the preparer's part. If the need for an amended return is because of an error or omission on your part, then file an amended return. While horror stories abound about interactions with the IRS, that has not been my experience. The Golden Rule applies to the IRS employees just like the rest of us. I suspect the reason for your inquiry is that you have discovered additional amounts are due to you. If that is the case, and you have to pay someone to prepare the amended return, you have to weigh potential recovery against the incremental cost. Why spend more than you are potentially going to get back?

John Miliunas
03-12-2003, 9:38 PM
the IRS new 1040 simplified tax form:

W.C. Turner
03-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Since posting my question, I did some research, and looked over last years return again. I thought at first, I had cost myself a couple hundred tool $, but discovered I had not. So an amended return will not be necessary.

Thanks for all the replies!:D