PDA

View Full Version : Much needed shop addition has started.

Steve Clardy
05-15-2004, 9:03 PM
I was planning this addition this fall, but here it is. I have my youngest son doing the work as he's between jobs. He's a framer by trade.
This 16x64 addition will add 1024 sq. feet to my shop.
Thw front 16' will be the wifes loom room. She has 5 rug looms in the house, so this will free up some space in the house.
The next 16' will be my spray room. Very much needed, as will cut down on the dust when I'm finishing.
The last 32' will be my mechanical shop. This will let me get all my mechanical stuff and a 78 F-100 stepside resto project out of my main shop.
After Daniel got the forms up, it took 4 loads of gravel and a skidsteer to get er ready for a floor. Called a concrete finish man and got the floor poured tuesday. After three days of rain, Daniel is setting up the walls today.
Steve:D

Steve Clardy
05-15-2004, 9:08 PM
And more to come next week after the doors and windows arrive.

Steve Clardy
05-15-2004, 9:24 PM
Walls are started!!

Tyler Howell
05-15-2004, 9:27 PM
Go Steve, Now some new toyls to fill it!;)

Jim Ketron
05-15-2004, 9:31 PM
Congrats Steve :)
Jim

Jim Becker
05-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Looking good, Steve. Having those dedicated areas will really spruce up the operation, as well as make for more convenience. It's nice that your lovely will also benefit through having some dedicated space for her work, too.

Boyd Gathwright
05-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Nice work Steve, looking good.

Boyd :) :)

I was planning this addition this fall, but here it is. I have my youngest son doing the work as he's between jobs. He's a framer by trade.
This 16x64 addition will add 1024 sq. feet to my shop.
Thw front 16' will be the wifes loom room. She has 5 rug looms in the house, so this will free up some space in the house.
The next 16' will be my spray room. Very much needed, as will cut down on the dust when I'm finishing.
The last 32' will be my mechanical shop. This will let me get all my mechanical stuff and a 78 F-100 stepside resto project out of my main shop.
After Daniel got the forms up, it took 4 loads of gravel and a skidsteer to get er ready for a floor. Called a concrete finish man and got the floor poured tuesday. After three days of rain, Daniel is setting up the walls today.

Brian Hale
05-15-2004, 10:59 PM
I'll bet your one Happy fellow!!
Congrats!!

Brian

Bruce Page
05-15-2004, 11:51 PM
You are not playing fair Steve!

Your shop was already outstanding, and now you’re adding another 1000+ square feet! :eek:
Boy, with all these new shops getting started/expanded, I’m really getting depressed!! :mad: :( :mad:

David Rose
05-16-2004, 12:43 AM
That's great Steve! I'm happy for you. I'll bet you will be tickled when it's done. That's a nice addition, and it couldn't happen to a better guy. :)

David

Dave Anderson NH
05-16-2004, 7:20 AM
I'm sure you will make good use of the extra space. As a full time woodworker your needs are a bit different than us hobbiests and you will work more efficiently with the extra space. As icing on the cake, the majority of the thing will be tax deductible. Make sure to keep us up to date on the progress.

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Steve
The addition is looking great - keep up with the great photos.
It's wonderful to have a son named "Daniel" - what a legacy! All great men (ah-hmmm!) are named Daniel.
Daniel - (the humble) :D

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Sweet...I just picked up my MM20 from a guy whose new shop equals the size of my first floor in my house! Wild stuff...congrats on the new addition, Steve...lookin' good!

Boyd Gathwright
05-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Come on Steve,
<O:p</O:p

You said it’s “getting dark” in here. Let’s see some more pics, you got my interest up now; strike while the iron is hot.

My hope is that you continue to have good luck on your project.

Boyd :)

Walls are started!!

Bart Leetch
05-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Great addition Steve. Actually your addition is bigger than my shop of 330.75 SQ. .FT

Bruce

I started on making my shop bigger this morning cleaning cleaning cleaning.

It may only be bigger in SQ. IN. but at least thats more elbow room.

Steve Clardy
05-22-2004, 8:07 PM
Come on Steve,
<o ="">:p</o>:p

You said it’s “getting dark” in here. Let’s see some more pics, you got my interest up now; strike while the iron is hot.

My hope is that you continue to have good luck on your project.

Boyd :)

Hey Boyd. I'll get an update on pics tomorrow. Pooped now, dragging in here after a cabinet install.
Not much more shop addition progress due to the rain, and I have been using Daniel on some cabinet work, like today. But all the walls are up and some ceiling joists and some rafters. Still waiting on the darn windows and doors to come in.
Steve

Jerry Olexa
05-23-2004, 7:57 PM
I'm green with envy!!

Kelly C. Hanna
05-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Man you sure know how to make a man feel puny...my shop is only 22x20...enjoy the build and the extra space!

Steve Clardy
06-20-2004, 5:49 PM
It's been a while since I posted pics, as work hasn't progressed very fast due to rain every other day, and my son going back to work in His framing business. So ol Dad is stuck with doing what I can, when I can.
Front tin is on except for some trim. Side tin is progressing. Second shiny thing from the right is my Spray booth fan. Yea, I know, it isn't EVEN with the window heights. But id will get a sheet metal shroud over it to keep the cold wind from blowing in through the shutters this winter, so I didn't change it.
Putting this tin on isn't easy, trying to hold it in place, lined up, and reaching for a drill and screw, and then you get one of those blasted screws that doesn't want to bit. And cutting the tin for the window opening, that's a pita, trying to do a good job. Isn't anything like cutting a piecs of wood. Ha.
More pics to come as progress shows up here.
Steve

John Miliunas
06-20-2004, 10:20 PM
With limited time on your hands and going it solo, you're going good! Nice progress! :) Also, ditto to what you said about cutting that tin! I just did that this last week on some existing tin, in order to install an AC unit on the shop. Yup...Royal PITA! :cool:

David Rose
06-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Lookin' good, Steve!! I wish I was near enough to give you a hand. Just keep steadily going at it and it will be finished before you know it.

David

Steve Clardy
07-27-2004, 8:03 PM
Well after finding a little extra time this evening,:D I decided to cut one of the door openings into my shop addition. This one is going into my mech. area. First shot is from the shop into the addition. Second is from the addition into the shop.
Still have another opening to cut into my spray booth area, but I need to get this one open so I can drag some junk outa the way to get to the opening.:o
It's been a week since I worked on it last. My wife helped me finish getting the tin on the roof. Still have a few screws to put in and one piece of edge trim, but hey, it's water tight now that it's stopped raining!!:eek::eek:
Third shot is my toolbox I found, buried in the shop, covered with dust and cob webs. This door opening will allow me to get it into the mech. room, if I have enough horses left in me to get it in there.:rolleyes:

Steve

John Miliunas
07-27-2004, 9:29 PM
Third shot is my toolbox I found, buried in the shop, covered with dust and cob webs. This door opening will allow me to get it into the mech. room, if I have enough horses left in me to get it in there.:rolleyes:

Steve

You call THAT a "tool box"???!!! :eek: "Holy monkey wrench, Batman! That's a whole flippin' shop!" :eek: Gads, I've got a "tool box" with wheels under it, but that bad boy is on steroids! :eek: OK, I give up: I've seen your wonderful work on staircases. Now, where's the hot rod?! :confused: Looks to me like you're making super progress, Steve! You'll be in there before you know it! :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-27-2004, 10:04 PM
You call THAT a "tool box"???!!! :eek: "Holy monkey wrench, Batman! That's a whole flippin' shop!" :eek: Gads, I've got a "tool box" with wheels under it, but that bad boy is on steroids! :eek: OK, I give up: I've seen your wonderful work on staircases. Now, where's the hot rod?! :confused: Looks to me like you're making super progress, Steve! You'll be in there before you know it! :cool:
Thanks John. Yea, it's quite a tool box. It was the biggest and badest Snap-on had in 1988 when I bought it. Think I upgraded boxes 6-7 times from 1967 when I started getting greasy for a living. But they make those boxes bigger now. I probably couldn't afford to buy these boxes and tools again, so that's why I have hung on to them. Last place I worked as a working foreman in 1993, I had them insured [ it was madatory there] for $40,000.00.
One of the future hot rods is peaking through the door there, a nice little 1978 F-100 stepside with 302 auto. It's gonna change to a 460 auto this winter I hope. Next project is a 1966 F-100, sitting out back. Now I've traded for a 1962 falcoon two-door. I don't know if I'll ever get them all done or not.:eek:
Steve

John Miliunas
07-27-2004, 10:13 PM
One of the future hot rods is peaking through the door there, a nice little 1978 F-100 stepside with 302 auto. It's gonna change to a 460 auto this winter I hope. Next project is a 1966 F-100, sitting out back. Now I've traded for a 1962 falcoon two-door. I don't know if I'll ever get them all done or not.:eek:
Steve

Hmmmm....Somehow I get the funny feeling you might be a Ford fan. :rolleyes: I'm not much of a meca-nick myself, but I sure do enjoy checking out some of the neat rides out there! Good luck with the project(s)! :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm....Somehow I get the funny feeling you might be a Ford fan. :rolleyes: I'm not much of a meca-nick myself, but I sure do enjoy checking out some of the neat rides out there! Good luck with the project(s)! :cool:
FORD FAN ???

Well, lets see------staring with the oldest.:rolleyes:
1962 Falcon
1965 F-350
1966 F-100
1978 F-100 styleside [parts truck]
1978 F-100 stepside
1995 F-150 XLT [work truck]
1996 Crown Vic [ wife's car]
1998 F-150 Lariat [ was wife's truck till gas prices went to Heck:eek:]

So John. Am I a ford fan? lol:confused:

Jim Ketron
07-27-2004, 11:11 PM
WOW Steve seems like you have your hands in a little bit of everything!
Is your spraybooth for wood and Trucks (FORD that is):D
I would like to see your Falcon Is it restored also?
Jim

Steve Clardy
07-27-2004, 11:35 PM
WOW Steve seems like you have your hands in a little bit of everything!
Is your spraybooth for wood and Trucks (FORD that is):D
I would like to see your Falcon Is it restored also?
Jim
Hey Jim.
Spray room is for cabinet finishing. Wish it was for fords,:rolleyes: but need it in my work instead of my play toys.
The old falcon is unrestored. I traded for it about a year ago, haven't even got it home yet. Hopefully I can make a tire burner out of it some day.
Maybe a 428 w/four speed:eek:. It sits now under a tree, where it's been for around 25 years. Tires rotted, almost sitting on the ground. Lots of surface rust, but no gapping holes anywhere. It's a 2-door, so it ought to be a good builder I hope. But that's a few years off probably.

How's your pen turning coming along Jim? And your shop addition?
Steve

Jim Ketron
07-27-2004, 11:57 PM
2 door nice find Steve!
The pens are on hold till the shop is done! Hopefully in a few more weeks!!
Put a few more shingles on today. ridgecap tomorrow and then finish the siding then put up the boards on the eaves soffit etc. trim on the corners and where the siding buts together. make my doors I think I will paint it to match the siding on the house. put in the windows Then on to play sparktrician.
I have a lot left to do but not as much as when I started:D
Jim

Steve Clardy
07-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Sounds great Jim. Sounds like it is close to leak proof.
Mines been dragging out for months. Not much extra time for it. Little here and there.
When my youngest framed it, it rained every other day and progress was slow. Then come tin time, a few sheets of an evening and it finally got rain proof.
Still have lots to do inside. Drywall, sheeting, insulation, lights, heaters, etc. etc.
Wiring is done in the wifes rug loom room and the spray booth, but not in the mech. room.
Steve

Kelly C. Hanna
07-28-2004, 9:22 AM
Ford Fanatic might be the better term...:D

Cool list of cars and trucks you have. And that is the biggest toolbox I have seen in anyone's shop at home!