PDA

View Full Version : leopard wood segmented vase

Robert McGowen
10-02-2008, 6:55 PM
Another learning curve on this vase. I tried the floating panel bottom at M. Tibbetts' suggestion and it worked out easy enough. Though much harder than just glueing a solid disk on the bottom, I think that it looks nicer and will be more sturdy, as there really aren't any cross grain joints to speak of.

217 pieces of leopard wood, cherry, and walnut. 13.5" tall and 9" across. Danish oil finish with a buffing scheduled for next week.

Thanks for looking.

Dewey Torres
10-02-2008, 6:58 PM
Very nice Rob. Any Advice from Malcom is good advice.... After all, he has done a few of these:D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2008, 7:00 PM
Robert...that's a beauty! I really like that form.

David Walser
10-02-2008, 7:14 PM
I hadn't heard of using a floating panel as the base of a segmented turning. Very neat idea and one that would avoid the issues with wood movement. This will allow designs with a larger and more stable base.

Next time, shouldn't you make it a raised panel? :rolleyes:

charlie knighton
10-02-2008, 7:34 PM
what is a floating panel bottom, i see a segmented bottom

very nice turning

i got to meet Malcolm at richmond, it was a pleasure

David Walser
10-02-2008, 8:01 PM
what is a floating panel bottom, i see a segmented bottom....

Charlie, the disk at the bottom of the vase is not glued to the wood that surrounds it. Instead, the disk simply "floats" in a groove that holds it securely in place while allowing the disk to expand and contract with the seasons.

charlie knighton
10-02-2008, 8:59 PM
how do you chuck this hf, do you use the grove or is that grove made while turning the bottom?????

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2008, 8:59 PM
Great looking piece Robert. Nice choice of woods.

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2008, 9:29 PM
Robert - very nice looking vase! Great form, good color contrasts and great looking finish! You seemed to have gotten the hang of that segmented stuff - seriously, very nice work!

Gary Herrmann
10-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Very nice job, Robert. One of these days I'm going to get to that.

Floating panel bottom. Now that is clever.

Curt Fuller
10-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Robert, you're going to writing your own book on segmenting before long. This is a beauty!

Richard Madison
10-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Looks good Robert! Been cleaning out and organizing the shop garage, but hope to resume my normal life (turning) in a couple days.

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Robert, nice job. This "sack of sand" type of shape is quite difficult to get just right. A little more "curve" in the top might have made this even better.

For those interested, the floating base concept (like a frame and panel) really does a great job of avoiding cross-grain in the base area of large segmented work. For bases any larger than just a few inches, I usually go this route.

Mike Golka
10-03-2008, 8:43 AM
Great looking piece! I love working with cherry. Well done.