PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR XP

Rex Guinn
10-02-2008, 6:25 PM
I was thinking of getting the NOVA DVR WoodCraft has them on sale for 1799 through the end of the month. For the people that already have one are you happy and would you buy one again? It seems to me they have a lot of features for the money. I know the mustard, mayo, and others are better, but $$$$ are important. Any comments would be great. I have been using the palmgren for two years now and am ready for a better machine.

Gary Kvasnicka
10-02-2008, 7:35 PM
Rex,

I have the Nova DVR 3000 the predecessor of the XP. I bought it used this past June,the first owner won a Stubby. I built a beefy stand and threw a couple of bags of quickrete I had on the base. When I bought it I thought it would be good until the kids finish college and I can afford a big boy lathe, right now I don't see any reason to move up.

The variable speed is great, I don't know how I got along without it. I have turned on a friends Jet 1642EVS the speed knob is nice but I don't miss it on the Nova.

Good Luck with your decision,

Gary

Joe Mioux
10-02-2008, 8:54 PM
if you are going to buy it, you better hurry. Quantities are limited at WC with these prices.

I bought the 1642 last Friday, I had one reserved a week earlier. When I picked it up last week, all stl wc had left was the floor model.

Joe

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2008, 9:01 PM
I have one. I am extremely happy with mine. I would buy again in a heart beat.

Hilel Salomon
10-03-2008, 7:58 AM
Hi,
I ordered one at the Louisville show two years ago and use it when I'm in VA (about 40% of the time) I also bought a PM 3520B which I use in SC. Is the DVR XP as good as the PM? IMO, No. Is it an excellent lathe with many great features? IMO, YES. At 1799 it is a fantastic lathe and certainly worth buying. When buying a lathe and comparing it to others, you can ask if spending the extra money is worth it. From what I have seen and experienced, the PM may not be as good as the Oneway or Robust, but it certainly isn't several thousand dollars worse. By the same token, the DVR XP isn't 1000 dollars inferior to the PM. The things I like and dislike about it:
Positives: Rotating head; easy to remove headstock; excellent speed control; smooth operation.
Negatives: Relatively light weight; so-so banjo (actually the PM's is in someways worse) ; Comes in 110 which can easily convert to 220 BUT...
Maker recommends that you have surge control for the computer driven drive, and getting surge control for 220 involves some electronic gymnastics.
Bottom line is that I like it, and have never regretted buying it.
Good luck, Hilel.

Daniel Heine
10-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Rex,

I had the Plamgren lathe for 2.5 years, and upgraded to the Nova 1624-44 about two months ago. I could not beleive the difference. The Nova made me a whole lot better turner, and my output has improved considerably. I LOVE my 1624, and I'm sure the DVR XP is even nicer. Make sure to take advantage of the sale, prices on power tools are going through the ceiling. I was trying to talk my wife into a 3520 Powermatic befoer buying the Nova. Two months ago, the 3520 was $2500.00. Yesterday, I saw it at $3599.00. With the gasoline supply as it is, I don't think you will find a better price for a long long time.

By the way, I put m Palmgren up on ebay, and included an extra headset that I had repaired. It sold for $68.00!!!!

Good Luck,
Daniel Heine

Ralph Lindberg
10-03-2008, 10:54 AM
The NOVA "free wheels", something I love when power sanding.
You can as as many bed extensions has you have room for, I've seen a photo of five
The head-stock index lock is not for locking the headstock to unscrew items from the head-stock
The tools rest is iffy, the 3rd party ones I use are much better
When you are turning, up near the headstock and the lathe stops, it's just because you leaned on the off button (done that many times, the first time it was quite a head scratcher)
If you rotate the head-stock, always check the alignment when you rotate it back. You can adjust some of the alignment by how tight you tighten the lock.

Don Carter
10-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Rex;
I am by no means an expert on the Nova, I have had a 1624 for about a month. I am very impressed with this lathe. I know it is the low rent cousin of the DVR but the bones are the same. You will not be disappointed, I would buy again.:)

Kevin McPeek
10-03-2008, 5:06 PM
I am very happy with my XP. I got it when they first came out so it has a few miles on it now and I have never had a problem.
I built, well designed and had a friend weld actually, a custom stand for mine. Spent way too much money, but the stand is never going to break. There are pics of it on here somewhere.
It's got plenty of power even on 120V. I have turned bowls that I had to start outboard to get them to clear the bed, and cored those also.
I would buy one again if I were to buy another "smaller" lathe and I have no reservations about recommending one to others. The price they are offering makes it even a sweeter deal.