PDA

View Full Version : Long time since my last post, Composite Turning

David Newson
10-02-2008, 3:03 PM
Not had much time for turning or coming on line of late due to a lot of other commitments, however I have managed to complete a couple of pieces for your comments or critique welcome.

Composite vase/HF was initially turned to shape and hollowed out as normal then sanded to completion, then using a 1/8" parting tool to cut the neck of the vase/HF cleaning the cuts of both pieces carefully, I then cut out three pieces of plastic sheet of two different colours, I used mitre glue and a activator gluing the three rings of plastic together, then glueing the three layered piece of plastic to one side of the neck of vase, now the hard part lining up the upper part of the vase neck as the glue is a bit like superglue once both mating surfaces touch that's it bonded,also the plastic is initially oversized internally and externally the allow for final shaping, I did not get it exactly aligned but after final turning it does not show.

The wood is spalted silver birch and measures approx 9 1/2" x 6 1/2" it was treated with four coats of finishing oil over five days then flatted lightly, and finally renaissance wax applied.

The trial vase is ash and measures approx 5 1/2" x 3 1/2" and just a wax finish.

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2008, 4:30 PM
David - Welcome back! Nice work on both of your vases! Really like the spalted birch - beautiful wood! Did you enter the spalted vase in your club's composite contest? If so - I hope you got a first place!

Nice idea using multiple layers of plastic. Adds a touch of color and the contrast highlights the wood.

Hope things are calming down a little for you and you are able to get some more time in the shop! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

robert hainstock
10-02-2008, 4:33 PM
Tha's a lovely piece. The inside/outside curve realy works for this piece. Thanks for sharing. :D:D
Bob

David Walser
10-02-2008, 5:05 PM
David,

Those are very nice. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2008, 5:31 PM
Great looking vases. Thanks for sharing on the plastic rings.

David Newson
10-02-2008, 5:54 PM
Thanks Bob, David for your comments its appreciated, Steve I'm hoping to find more time shortly to get back into flying shavings and spend some more time catching up on the creek what I've been missing.

The club competition is this Sunday and I've just got to keep my fingers crossed I'll be lucky, as other club members in my group are all achieving very high standards of work now, incidentally had it not been for the competition I would not have included plastic in this particular piece, I thought it looked ok without but as it must include plastic to qualify that's what I come up with, I'm now thinking perhaps I should have tried vertical pieces of plastic instead which would have made it more challenging.

David Walser
10-02-2008, 7:28 PM
... I'm now thinking perhaps I should have tried vertical pieces of plastic instead which would have made it more challenging.

David, inserting vertical pieces of plastic might have been more challenging, but not necessarily better. Your design has an elegant simplicity that should have almost universal appeal. Something more complex might catch another turner's eye -- but only because we'd appreciate the technical difficulty, not because it was more beautiful.

I meant to say in my original comment that plastic ring reminds me of the ring around a mallard duck's neck. The ring on the neck of your vase just seems to belong there. No explanation necessary. Which, to my mind, is the essence of good design. It just feels or looks right.

Allen Neighbors
10-02-2008, 7:48 PM
What David said. :D
Exceptional work!!

Mike Golka
10-03-2008, 8:49 AM
VERY nice!! Great shape and very well done.

David Newson
10-04-2008, 4:17 AM
Thanks for all your comments, and I'll keep you all posted on the outcome on Sunday.