PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1021X2 15in. planer questions?

Shawn Walker
10-02-2008, 1:39 PM
Any owners, or anyone with comments.
I like this planer, and I want it but, the price of the inserts for the cutterhead bother me.
They are $59.00 for 10 vs $25.00 for the inserts for the regular stye Grizzly spiral cutterhead.
Now when you add that up to replace them all, it's a big $$ difference.
Grizzly designed this cutterhead to compete with the Byrd, but the byrd inserts are only $30.00 for 10. :confused:

Any G1021X2 owners out there want to comment on the quality of cut, and the longevity of the inserts? Opinions on the $$ difference?

The other thing that concerns me is... That style cutthead is only offered on a couple of machines, so what if it doesn't prove cost effective to continue carrying that cutterhead?
Does that mean Bye Bye replacement inserts??

I know I can buy the G0453X but.... I think the 1021X2 is the better machine.

alex grams
10-02-2008, 1:56 PM
What is the difference in the H7319 inserts and the H9893 inserts. Both are a 10 pack, but the 7319 runs 25$/10 while the H9893 runs the aforementioned 59$. Both are listed as accessories for the planer, so shouldn't both inserts work fine?

I would check that answer to grizzly first and see why such a price difference.

Shawn Walker
10-02-2008, 2:16 PM
What is the difference in the H7319 inserts and the H9893 inserts. Both are a 10 pack, but the 7319 runs 25$/10 while the H9893 runs the aforementioned 59$. Both are listed as accessories for the planer, so shouldn't both inserts work fine?

I would check that answer to grizzly first and see why such a price difference.

The inserts for the G0453 cutterhead are 14x14x2 mm, with a straight cutting edge.
The inserts for the G1021X2 are 15x15x2.5 mm, with a slightly round cutting face.
Almost exactly the same as the Byrd inserts. In fact at the Grizz store we compared them with the Byrd inserts. They fit the Grizz cutterhead, and the size was so close we had to use calipers to see a slight difference in the width, not the thickness.
Myself, and the saleman thought you could probably switch them out if you replaced all. But that was (probably)
Not convinced I would try it.

I did try asking Grizzy... So far no answer.

Tim Marks
10-02-2008, 6:18 PM
One thing that strikes me is that when I look at the "Purchase Parts" link, it shows the spiral cutterhead parts as discontinued.

If that is the case, then make sure you buy several packages of the inserts so they will last you awhile.

In retrospect, I suspect that the diagram has not been updated from the 1021X, and the link on the "purchase ports" page is pointing to the X1 cutterhead (which apparently is the main difference between the 1021X and the 1021X2).

It does seem strange that they come out with a new cutterhead that seems to match Byrds slant mounting of the cutterheads instead of the previous Grizzly arrangement. I wonder if it was because most consumers believed implicitly that the Byrd design was better, regardless of what Grizzly told them.

Maybe this is an experiemnt to see if that belief holds strong when the replacement parts are 2.5x the original.

Shawn Walker
10-02-2008, 6:31 PM
One thing that strikes me is that when I look at the "Purchase Parts" link, it shows the spiral cutterhead parts as discontinued.

If you buy one, buy several packs of inserts, because they might not be available forever.

I just called Grizzly again, and they said that planer has been discontinued.
I guess there will be a new model with a new #, and some changes made coming in the new year. I'll bet a new price too.
Probably without that cutterhead.

Paul Gatti
10-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I just called Grizzly again, and they said that planer has been discontinued.
I guess there will be a new model with a new #, and some changes made coming in the new year. I'll bet a new price too.
Probably without that cutterhead.

Did they say that the 1021X2 has been discontinued? :confused: I just bought one three weeks ago so I can't comment on the longevity of the cutters.

So far I really like the cut. Very smooth with no tear-out. One of these days I'll actually get around to writing a review. The planer did come with 10 replaceable inserts.

Shawn Walker
10-03-2008, 1:28 PM
Did they say that the 1021X2 has been discontinued? :confused: I just bought one three weeks ago so I can't comment on the longevity of the cutters.

So far I really like the cut. Very smooth with no tear-out. One of these days I'll actually get around to writing a review. The planer did come with 10 replaceable inserts.

Hi Paul, Yes Grizzly said it has been discontinued. I would guess they are making a few changes as to give it a new model#, and re release it for a higher price in the new year.
Most of the parts are the same as the 453, and I'll bet the new model will have most of the same parts.

I don't know anything for a fact... I'm just guessing. :D

I just didn't like the difference in price on the inserts.

Adam Merritt
04-18-2017, 8:23 AM
Myself, and the saleman thought you could probably switch them out if you replaced all. But that was (probably)
Not convinced I would try it.

I did try asking Grizzy... So far no answer.
Sorry to dig up an old post, but this was the most helpful bit I found on the internet trying to figure out if I could use Byrd inserts on a newly acquired G1021X2 cutter-head. I started with all new Byrd inserts and screws, as the head didn't have any (long story). I've ran a couple hundred board feet through the planer now and not had any issues. I can't tell you how it would act to have only swapped a few, but it is viable to change them all over to Byrd if you are so inclined. I know this post was nearly 9 years ago, but it was still much appreciated just a few weeks ago!

Chris Hachet
04-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Sorry to dig up an old post, but this was the most helpful bit I found on the internet trying to figure out if I could use Byrd inserts on a newly acquired G1021X2 cutter-head. I started with all new Byrd inserts and screws, as the head didn't have any (long story). I've ran a couple hundred board feet through the planer now and not had any issues. I can't tell you how it would act to have only swapped a few, but it is viable to change them all over to Byrd if you are so inclined. I know this post was nearly 9 years ago, but it was still much appreciated just a few weeks ago!This is good information... I love looking at old threads here, a lot of collective wisdom in this place.