PDA

View Full Version : Photo on wood

sal shepherd
10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a customer that wants me to engrave a photo on wood. The wood will be exposed to the elements. The only wood I know would be teak, but how does it engrave. Down here it's expensive and I will have to route the edges and I guess finish with tonge oil????? Any other options, what about the plates laser bits?

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2008, 1:10 PM
Because of the grain photos on wood are often disappointing. I have had good luck with basswood, since it's white and grain free. Alder and Maple are harder but still light with less grain than many other woods.

Teak is darker and has a lot of grain. Then again some photos lend themselves to the grainy look, like landscapes. For portraits of humans you lose a lot of detail.

George M. Perzel
10-02-2008, 1:42 PM
Hi Sal;
Not sure where "down here" is, but have had good results with cedar- I use t/g 10" vertical siding boards glued together and go over it a couple of times for better depth/contrast.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts
PS-not red cedar!!

Kevin L. Waldron
10-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Try looking for cumaru it has properties similar to teak. There is a wide range in color so best to look at board. Possibly Spanish cedar if you choose the correct board with lite color range.

Aromatic cedar will work but must be sealed with a uv catalyzed varnish for best protection. Resin in wood will eat most other finished up. Cedar left natural will last a long time but will age with a gray to silver appearance.

Formica white, cream or light color works great for photo's and the durablity outside is outstanding.

Kevin

sal shepherd
10-03-2008, 2:54 AM
Kevin, Spanish sounds good and 1/4 the price. I will post pict and hope to get some advice. Thanks

sal shepherd
10-03-2008, 2:57 AM
Hi George, Down here is New Orleans, Louisiana. Thanks for advice will post pict to get better feed back.

James A. Wolfe
10-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I did a couple of pieces on some exposed wood siding we call barn wood. Not sure of the species but it had been exposed for years and had weathered to a pale gray. Lasered very well with good contrast. I did no finish and lost track of the project so I can't say how ell the engraving held up.
Jim

tom casey
10-04-2008, 9:16 PM
I love using mahogany with marine spar varnish looks awesome and withstands up state ny weather.