PDA

View Full Version : Corrugated Nails

larry cronkite
10-02-2008, 7:45 AM
Hi - My name is Larry and I use corrugated nails.

Gasp!!!!!!

I have yet to see any mention of CNA (Corrugated Nails Anonymous) by any of its members on any of the woodworking forums.

Am I the only member?

Yes pocket screws are great, but there are times when these pointy little hidden devils are just the thing for holding workshop cabinet face plates together.

By this admission will I forever be ostracized from all the woodworking forums, have my magazine subscriptions canceled and never be allowed inside any store except the BORGs?

Come on! All you CNA members speak up and save me from a fate worse than death!

David G Baker
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Larry,
I didn't know that they made guns for corrugated fasteners and the last time I saw some hammer driven corrugated fasteners was when I was looking through one of my storage cabinets for something else. Haven't thought about them in years.
You may have re-introduced the item to many of us that forgot about them.
Wonder how well they work in hardwood? The only times I saw them in use was in pine.

larry cronkite
10-02-2008, 3:22 PM
Yes you have to use a gasp "hammer."

I'm not sure how they would work in real hardwood. I have used them in poplar.

If you drive them in at an angle you are less likely to split the wood.

With 96 views and only one reply I guess I am ready for a 12 step program.

Perry Holbrook
10-02-2008, 3:39 PM
There are air guns for shooting them. At least there used too be when I worked for a major high end furniture factory. One of the things we used them for were mirror frames. The miters were pre-assembled with dowels, put in a four way clamp table and then shot with 2 corrugated nails. We used a lot of pecan and hickory so yes they will work with hardwood.

Perry

Peter Quinn
10-02-2008, 7:23 PM
Funny story Larry. I recently inherited a set of drawers, like a wall of apothecary drawers, from my grandfather who passed years ago. He built them to last, kept all his screws and odd cabinet making parts in them. They are a very elegant system of fine frames and little dovetail boxes that still work well 60 odd years later.

In one of those boxes i found a big pack of corrugated nails. I shuddered. I have never seen them used out side of cheap picture frames and BORG cabinets. I am not even sure what to do with them. They look like steel ruffles potato chips or very very stern hair clips.

Use what ever methods appeal to you most. Don't be ashamed.

I am left wondering if my grandfather, a Swiss perfectionist as I recall, who took the time to cut and fit hundreds of little parts for these dovetail drawers fit in mortise and tenon frames, actually used these corrugated nails, or if he bought them and decided they were not fit for use? The box while old appears to be quite full.

Porter Bassett
10-02-2008, 7:38 PM
When I was in elementary school, we had hand-eye coordination tests that consisted of picking up as many corrugated nails with a clothespin as we could in a minute.

And that was the last time I used one for anything. :)

Rich Engelhardt
10-03-2008, 7:24 AM
Hello,

All you CNA members speak up and save me from a fate worse than death!

Kreg has the kure, for this affliction,
Pocket screws, can break the addicition.
The Master System is the best invention,
Allow Kreg in, for the intervention.
:D

Rick Fisher
10-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Bostitch has a nasty old gun that shoots Corrugated nails..

Larry... They are for the pallet making industry..

Sorry, but you needed to hear that. :o

David G Baker
10-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I haven't used any corrugated nails in many years but when used as they were intended I am sure that they are a very good product and still have many uses. I still have that small box of them just in case I ever find a need.