PDA

View Full Version : ??? Jet 1220 lathe???

John Terefenko
10-02-2008, 12:39 AM
http://www.penturners.org/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif ??? Jet 1220 lathe???
OK it arrived today. I barely had time to get it out of the box and set it up to look it over before I had to go to work. Well got home and gave it an inspection and noticed what I think is a problem and hope others can help or tell me it is not a problem. I put 2 spurs in the drive and tailstock and lined up the points. I noticed that they are not quite perfect. They are off a tad left to right. Have no way to measure this. But the 1014 Jet I got were dead on perfect and still are to this day.

My question or questions are is this something that can be corrected???? Is there a tolerance that is acceptable??? If this can be corrected can I do it and how is it done???? Do I have to notify Jet. ???? It is a VS model so I ran it through some speeds but not all yet. I will do this tommorrow. Is there a way to measure the difference between points ??? Is there any other major things to look for before putting a load on it. I cleaned all the gunk off the ways and all. Thanks all. I knew this would happen because this is what my luck is all about through my lifetime.

Matt Wolboldt
10-02-2008, 1:11 AM
I have the same lathe, and the same problem. I called Jet and the rep told me to make sure the lathe was level. I leveled the lathe and the points line up. I hope this helps.
Matt

John Terefenko
10-02-2008, 1:19 AM
Make sure the lathe is level. Now I will have to check that, I would never had surmised that one. Will let you know.

Don Carter
10-02-2008, 1:42 AM
I know it doesn't sound right but if the lathe is not level these things will twist enough to get out of line. I have even read where table mounted lathes that were torqued down unevenly would pull them out of line. Good luck!
All the best.

John Terefenko
10-02-2008, 9:42 AM
Tried the level thing this morning and that did nothing to correct it. It is sitting level. Will try to get some kind of measurement but if I were to guess by eye I would say about 1/32" to 1/16" Up and down is OK. It is left to right.

robert hainstock
10-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Recieved my new 1220 yesterdat, and just checked the centers. Dead on.
Of course it is just setting on three legs unbolted down on the bench. I will check again after I get it bolted down, and let you all know. :):):eek:
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2008, 12:09 PM
John I had a similar problem with my Rikon. It was off left to right by about a 1/32". I took the four allen bolts loose on the headstock and slipped a shim on the one side made out of thin brass. Tightened the headstock back down and it lined up right on. Before I shimmed it I had bolted it to the stand I made for it. I had also checked for level several ways. It was level so decided to shim and it worked.

John Terefenko
10-02-2008, 2:10 PM
Robert

Did you check your lathe for other things. I think mine has a hop in the motor or pulley system and will have to call the rep. I am comparing mine to my 1014Jet which runs smoothe as silk. Maybe I am looking at something that is not there but just does not seem right.

robert hainstock
10-02-2008, 4:25 PM
So far I haven't found any other problems. I just finished the bolt down, and it still lines up and runs smooth. I admit I was nervous when I read the "MADE IN CHINA" on the side of the box. Maybe this is a quality control issue like the Woodcraft slow speed grinders. I wish you all the best with Jet and the problems. :eek::eek::)
Bob

Allen Neighbors
10-02-2008, 8:05 PM
My Oneway 1640 was right on vertically, but was off horizontally by about 1/32" or so. The tailstock needed to go left (looking down from above). I had it screwed down to my wood shop floor, so I loosened the offside tail leg, and the onside head leg, and it aligned itself. So I shimmed each with a piece of hacksaw blade.
Still aligned today.
The bed of any lathe will probably warp a bit when tightening them down, unless you're tightening it down on a machined surface.

John Terefenko
10-02-2008, 11:57 PM
That is the way my needed to go also. It was tightened down to a table top that has a 3/4" MDF backing and a piece of formica on the top. The other proble that I think it has with the hop in the motor or pulley system has me worried. I feel this at the slower speeds. I ran it through all the belt changes and the same thing happens.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2008, 12:15 AM
John,

I wonder if the belt thing might be due fact the belt might have been sitting in one place for an extended period of time?

It may diminish after you run it for a while.

John Terefenko
10-03-2008, 2:09 PM
OK called Jet and he told me to check things I already checked so he finally said to take to a repair shop. I dropped it off and while I was there I went into the showroom and tested a 1220 lathe that was on the floor and it ran smoothe so I know now something is wrong with mine for sure. Will se what he comes up with but I am betting it is the bearings. Will report back when I get it back. Thanks all for the help

Don Carter
10-03-2008, 3:52 PM
Good luck, John. I know how disappointing this has been for you. It sounds like they are going to take care of you. Let us know how it all turns out.
All the best.

robert hainstock
10-03-2008, 3:53 PM
OK called Jet and he told me to check things I already checked so he finally said to take to a repair shop. I dropped it off and while I was there I went into the showroom and tested a 1220 lathe that was on the floor and it ran smoothe so I know now something is wrong with mine for sure. Will se what he comes up with but I am betting it is the bearings. Will report back when I get it back. Thanks all for the help
BUMMER John!
Bob

John Ponder
10-15-2008, 1:10 PM
I too have a new 1220 and it sounds like we have similar problems. I can twist the tailstock assembly slightly and line up the centers but this seems a bit sloppy to me, is this normal? After turning a while the motor seems very hot and when turning the handwheel it seems to bind in spots but turns smoothly after it cools. Have you received an answer from the service center on your problems yet?
I am new to wood turning and I’m not sure how close the tolerances are on these small machines.
Thanks,
John