PDA

View Full Version : How To Use Print Merge With A Template

Mike DeRegnaucourt
10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Hello Creekers,

I am trying to figure out how to use Corel's Print Merge feature with a template I've been using. I understand how to use Print Merge but the problem I am running into is how to get the Print Merge to work with my template. The Print Merge feature essentially places everything right next to each other and that does not match my template layout.

My template is cut from acrylic and consists of 150 2-inch circles that hold the pieces to be engraved. I've attached a copy of the template to possibly help with explaining my situation.

Does anyone know how to take advantage of the power of Print Merge so that I do not have to place my variable data in each separate location? I want to take advantage of the template I've been using but now I need to place variable data on each item. It will be a huge pain placing the variable data manually on each item to be engraved...especially when doing 150 at a time.

I'm sure someone out there has run into a similar situation. Whatever help someone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I've watched all the videos and links I could find on the topic of Corel's Print Merge but none of them I've viewed/read quite cover how to integrate Print Merge along with a template.

Rudy Ress
10-02-2008, 1:51 AM
Hi Mike,
Have you looked at Roy Brewers tutorial videos on print merge? Here are links to two of them:
http://www.engravingconcepts.com/swf_files/PrintMergeB.html
http://www.engravingconcepts.com/swf_files/PrintMergeC.html

Mike DeRegnaucourt
10-02-2008, 9:00 AM
Hi Rudy,

Yes, I've checked out Roy's videos. They don't really cover getting the Print Merge to work with a template. The problem I am running into is that each of the items is not placed right next to each other in my template. The print merge seems to be geared towards using sheet goods where each one of the items ends up right next to each other and not spaced apart as in my template.

Zvi Grinberg
10-02-2008, 9:16 AM
Maybe you could design your template with the proper margins, so that the space would be included in the item.
Invisible borders/dots at the corners could make the trick

Bill Jermyn
10-02-2008, 9:35 AM
Hopefully I'm understanding your question. Try making your page size contain only 1 instance of the template with the page size being the distance between items horizontally and vertically in your template. Then go to Print/Layout and set Pages Across/Down to the jibe with the layout of your template. Do your print merge. Make a test run to see if you need to adjust your page size so that the engraving falls on the same spot for each instance (typically check the first and last instances horizontally and vertically). Do another print merge after each adjustment (not sure if that's required, but that's what I do). That's it. Hope I made sense. If not, just ask.

Mike Null
10-02-2008, 9:36 AM
I agree. Better to make the template fit the print merge requirements than to place the text individually just to use a template that allows for more pieces. Manually placing text is slow.

Bill Jermyn
10-02-2008, 9:39 AM
Hi Rudy,

The problem I am running into is that each of the items is not placed right next to each other in my template. The print merge seems to be geared towards using sheet goods where each one of the items ends up right next to each other and not spaced apart as in my template.

Just make your page size the distance between items on your template. Adjust if necessary.

Shaddy Dedmore
10-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I've been away from lasering for a while (moved and am building a shop in back yard, Laser is packed up, and had a baby (c:) but I did make a macro (series of macro's) that will do what you want. I'm not the best at getting my point across, so it may be confusing, but I tried adding help text to it.

download SerialNamer.gms (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/SerialNamer.gms) here and save in in your program files/corel/Corel Draw.../Draw/GMS directory.

The program is similar to This Project (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/nametagcreator/) and you can follow some of the tutorial. SerialNamer is basically that one, with the Nametag portion stripped out.

Here's a description of what I would do using my program... Create a circle, add a text box and rename to Variable1, then offset copies to fill the page. (my program can rename text boxes and duplicate filling the page). Then import the data from a text file, excel spreadsheet or access database.

There are options for adding an incremental Serial Number text box, or a Title (same info on each tag, not from spreadsheet). And for not starting on line 1 (like for spanning accross pages, say you have 150 tags to do, but room for only 100 on your page, you'd start with 1 first time, then change it to 101 for the second run).

like I said, it's been a while since i played with it, but I'll try and help if you run in to trouble, just hope i can remember lol.

Shaddy

Mike DeRegnaucourt
10-02-2008, 8:59 PM
I believe I understand what Bill is saying. I think if I adjust my page size to be 2x2 inches plus the addition of my spacing between objects. In my case, I had used a .25-inch separation between items. The only problem I can see right now is that with my current template, the first circle is not .25-inches from the left side of the page. I don't believe this will permit me to come up with an exact size that is common for all the items across the page.

It is looking more and more like I may not be able to use my current template. :(

I've attached a copy of the template in v12 for those folks not using X3.

Roy Brewer
10-02-2008, 9:24 PM
It is looking more and more like I may not be able to use my current template. :(Mike,
the advice given is "dead on." In the future make your template with from an individual "plate" using the Imposition Layout.

But to use your existing template, all you should have to do is quite accurately zero your laser to the u/l "corner" of the first circle. That is, point to the u/l corner of an imaginary rectangle that is equal to the size of the distance between your circles.

Also, Shaddy's program will not only work great on your template, but has superior ability to pull data out of Excel &/or Access.

Roy Brewer
10-02-2008, 9:32 PM
I've been away from lasering for a while (moved and am building a shop in back yard, Laser is packed up, and had a baby (c:) but I did make a macro (series of macro's) that will do what you want. Shaddy,

Welcome back. I've borrowed several lines of code from your terrific set of macros.
Indeed, we see Alex's "fingerprints" often and Carl's every once in a while.

We want pics of the baby!!!

Mike DeRegnaucourt
10-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try.

As a side note to another possible solution...I received an email and tip from another user. His basic idea was that each piece of variable data was in it's own column in the merge data file. So essentially it would contain a single record but each serail number would be it's own column. Therefore when the print merge is run, you have each and every piece of variable data available as the "fields used in merge:" dialog box. From this point, when placing each identifying field on each item, you have all the records available at that point.

I have not tried Shaddy's program yet. I will give that a try as well.

Thank you to all for your ideas and help.

Best regards.

Bill Jermyn
10-03-2008, 9:32 AM
I think you could use your existing template if you move the home position of the laser (to a position similar to what Mike suggested). I would set the page size equal to the spacing, with the circle in the middle of the page. Put a mark on your template as close to the upper left of the page as you can get, then just set your home position on that point, set up your imposition and print.

Ray Uebner
10-03-2008, 1:39 PM
Hi
I use print merge all the time for badges. I do have instructions from a friend on a easy to set it up. I do not know if this will help you but you are welcome to his instructions if you would like. PM me and I will attach his e-mail to you.

Carrol Fleming
04-18-2009, 2:39 AM
I may be a little late to help with this particular job, but I have recently just completed an order for badges for a company and whilst I was searching for help with print merge I found this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93422&highlight=macro with a link to a macro, SerialNamer.gms written by Shaddy Dedmore. I fiddled for a few minutes and had my badges laid out perfectly, logos and all. I will certainly be making good use of this little gem! :D

Thanks Shaddy!

Carrol

Dave Johnson29
04-18-2009, 4:04 PM
with a link to a macro, SerialNamer.gms written by Shaddy Dedmore.

Hi Carol,

I was just trying to test that macro but I do not understand when Shaddy says, Insert a Text Box and rename it Variable1

Where do I find the text Box?

I looked in the Corel Help but that was anything but Help. :eek:

Margaret Turco
04-18-2009, 4:34 PM
Dave, I just tried this and you draw a text box using the text tool in corel. When it is selected, in the macro click the drop-down Variable1. It made the number of copies I asked for, at the designated spacing.

Dave Johnson29
04-18-2009, 5:38 PM
you draw a text box using the text tool in corel.

Thanks Margaret, I didn't think of using the text tool to create a box.

I would have been nice if the Corel Help system had something on Text Box.

I have it all working now, thank you very much for the tip and thanks also to Shaddy and Carrol.

Carrol Fleming
04-19-2009, 3:22 AM
Dave, the way I did it was to run "Create Name Tag" where you choose the size and how many variables you need, then select Close. Fiddle with the created tag, add your logo, move the variables etc. Make sure you have selected everything and then "Duplicate" the tag followed by importing your text or data.

Saves a huge amount of time and frustration!
Carrol

Dave Johnson29
04-19-2009, 9:36 AM
the way I did it was to run "Create Name Tag" where you choose the size and how many variables you need, then select Close. Fiddle with the created tag, add your logo, move the variables etc. Make sure you have selected everything and then "Duplicate" the tag followed by importing your text or data.

Thanks carol,

I do not have a need for it at the moment, I just can't leave scripts alone and wanted to see how this worked. :) Your suggestions is a good one and I will play with it again today.