PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Vent Pipe

Donnie Raines
05-15-2004, 4:02 PM
I need to replace my 4 "aluminum dryer vent pipe that extends up into my attic. I was going to use 4 inch PVC instead.

Any issues with doing this?

Donnie Raines

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2004, 7:15 PM
Uh....heat and plastic normally don't mix well. I think you should check with you local building codes in case you ever need to sell you house. One small lint fire inside that plastic pipe and the pipe will act like an accelerator.

The decision is your but I wouldn't do it.

Donnie Raines
05-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Uh....heat and plastic normally don't mix well. I think you should check with you local building codes in case you ever need to sell you house. One small lint fire inside that plastic pipe and the pipe will act like an accelerator.

The decision is your but I wouldn't do it.
Thanks Dennis,

I did not even consider that. I ended up useing aluminum any how.

Donnie Raines

Gary Whitt
05-19-2004, 11:22 AM
I have the same problem. I'll replace mine with aluminum, however I'll be moving my dryer duct from the attic to the crawl space and exiting through a foundation vent.
The wall next to the current dryer vent gets warm when the dryer is running. I do not like the thought of a fire starting behind that wall.

Hal Flynt
05-19-2004, 2:30 PM
I used the snap together galvanized steel 4" vent pipe. (Snaps along its length) It's made to attach to itself and has a bunch of elbos and fittings available. Another advantage is that it's smooth on the inside and doesn't trap lint like the flex. I did use a 3 foot section of the aluminum flex from the dryer to the first rigid section.

Tyler Howell
05-19-2004, 3:37 PM
Folks,

For years the plastic reinforced tubing has been offered (like DC hose) for dryers. I don't know if it has the UL stamp of approval. I haven't come across any reports of fires.
Aluminum and steal stay cleaner longer.

Rob Russell
05-19-2004, 5:04 PM
That expandable spiral plastic tubing is lousy for long dryer runs. It collects major amounts of lint, which long-term restricts air flow and can actually cause heat buildup at the source.

I put snap-lock aluminum pipe in the wall and out through an exterior wall in our addition. Works well. One of these years I will probably think of a way to clean out any lint buildup.

If you're really worried about a fire in the duct, wrap it in fire-stop blanket. Here's an example:
Fire Wrap (http://www.thermalceramics.com/upload/pdf/FMDS03.pdf)

Rob