PDA

View Full Version : Epilog 24TT laser alignment procedure

Jeremy Shepard
10-01-2008, 9:39 PM
Hi All,

I've seen a few posts on here about laser alignments for various epilog laser systems. I need to check my beam alignment as I am loosing power (to the point of total loss of power) on the right side of my table (farthest from the laser source). I've checked the table level very carefully a few times and I'm 100% sure it's right on. I get good engraving on the left side of my table, so I'm sure it must be the beam out of alignment as the carriage moves away from the laser source.

I have the black plastic disc that came with the machine. I see the general idea of how to do this from the other posts here, but I think my machine is slightly different in the steps. Does any of the 24TT users have any instructions on this? I'll contact Epilog too, but I was hoping to get this going sooner. Also, if there are any tips to this, that is very appreciated.

Thanks so much

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2008, 8:07 AM
Epilog can e-mail you a pdf with the detailed instructions, but also will send you a special tool with deposit. You need it to override the safety cover shutoff switch and it also has a button to fire once.

To do it without the tool is tricky, but you can place some masking tape on the target, and install it on the head, then send a file that has a small dot (maybe a 10 pt. period) in the lower right and run it at low power, maybe 10.

After it fires lift the cover quickly to stop it or it can ruin the target. Look at the masking tape and the burn mark should be near the center of the target.

Repeat this with the dot in the upper right corner, lower and upper left, and they should all burn the same spot on the tape.

Jeremy Shepard
10-02-2008, 5:45 PM
Thanks Joe,

I'll give Epilog a call. If there's a special tool needed, I should do it the right way I think.

I did check the target with the red dot pointer and it does go way off to the right when I move the carriage across to the right side of the table. I know that the red dot laser source is different, but it kind of confirms my thinking that something's out of alignment.

Thanks again!

Charlie Bice
10-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Sounds like it is alignment.

The red dot should be in very good alignment with the main laser. I always use it for the alignment process, then confirm the results with single shot firing of the main laser.

I have to realign every month or two.

charlie

Peck Sidara
10-03-2008, 9:55 AM
Sounds like it is alignment.

The red dot should be in very good alignment with the main laser. I always use it for the alignment process, then confirm the results with single shot firing of the main laser.

I have to realign every month or two.

charlie

Charlie,

Your laser beam alignment shouldn't need realigning every 1-2 months. My suggestion is to work with technical support to have it properly aligned once and for all. A few notes:

*Make sure your machine is properly leveled.
*Check all mirrors for defects, if one of the mirrors are defective, it could be absorbing some of the heat causing the o-ring behind the mirror to change form.
*Once everything is checked, use epoxy glue to hold the aligment screws in place.

Charlie Bice
10-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Peck,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, am not sure why it seems to drift. It is level and on solid concrete slab foundation. I work in a laser lab for a living so am familiar with alignment issues. It seems to be the mirror at the lower back of the machine that drifts so I may check it's mount next time as well.

Thanks for the tip on the orings too. The mirrors are getting a bit 'old' so will probably send in for replacements.

charlie

PS realignment really isn't that big a deal for me. Takes about 10 min and then we're back up and going again. Gives me an excuse to clean out the bottom of the cabinet too :)

Peck Sidara
10-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi Charlie,

Sounds like something is overheating during use/over time causing the alignment to go off. I'm certain tech support can help identify the cause. When you get some time, give them a call.