PDA

View Full Version : Cedar / Redwood Sign Blanks

Jim Pemberton
10-01-2008, 9:29 PM
Sorry if I have posted this in the wong forum, but I am not sure where it fits.

My wife and I travel to various craft shows around our area. We have been discussing adding routed cedar/redwood signs to her offerings. I have seen many different vendors with this offering, but none that I would consider local. Most of these seem to have precut blanks available to start with. I have been looking on-line to see if I can come up with the blanks to purchase, but have struck out. Is there anything like his available, or does each person that we have seen that has the various shapes actually cut their own blanks? They seem too similar to me to not have a source somewhere that supplies most of the vendors. Would anyone be willing to offer suggestions on where to look for these blanks, if they do exist?

Thanks in advance......
Jim

Steve knight
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
they may make them ahead of time. I know several guys who do. but if you don't want to do it i would find a local woodworking shop to make them. but you may not be able to sell them for enough if your paying someone for blanks. I would make them myself if I wanted to do little signs.

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2008, 7:59 AM
There are online sources for blanks but they cater more to the sandblasted sign makers. We do sandblasted and always make up our own blanks. A good lumber yard with a mill shop could also make them up for you. We had one locally until the HD put them out of business.

Here's one vendor:

http://allwoodsignblanks.com/

Jim Pemberton
10-02-2008, 8:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I had found allwoodsignblanks in searching on-line, but they did not offer thin enough material for what I was thinking about. Everything that I have seen at the craft shows has been 1" material. I live in southwestern Ohio and the selection of "good" lumberyards is marginal at best. Is there anyone that you would recommend on-line that I could get the material from?

Jim

Darren Duchi
10-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Jim- Call Falls City Lumber a Wholesale distributer of Lumber products in Cincinatti. They do a lot of Redwood and Cedar Products. They might be able to help you find what you are looking for.

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Clear heart redwood is scarce these days and very expensive, while there's cedar coming in from Canada that helps meet the supply. Here we can get nice cedar locally at better lumberyards like the one below. You might try contacting them to see if they will ship small quantities. Their sizes on clear start at 1x1.

http://www.cedarexperts.com/