PDA

View Full Version : How to cut blanks for natural edge bowls

Jim Ketron
05-15-2004, 3:55 PM
Hello can anyone help me with how to cut a blank for a natural edge bowls. Or what part of the tree makes the best looking bowls (ex) burls, roots, knot holes, knots. and how to cut them.:confused:
Thanks,
Jim

Jim Becker
05-15-2004, 4:25 PM
For natural edge bowls from a normal "log", you want the bark side to the top of the bowl so that you reveal the curvature of the log as you cut into it. Do remember the "phantom" edges as you spin these in this orientation, particularly at the begining of the cut near the edges...it's easy to get a catch on the tool...or your fingers!

Wolf Kiessling
05-15-2004, 7:56 PM
Hello can anyone help me with how to cut a blank for a natural edge bowls. Or what part of the tree makes the best looking bowls (ex) burls, roots, knot holes, knots. and how to cut them.:confused:
Thanks,
Jim

That question is almost impossible to answer, Jim, because every tree and every piece of wood is different. You can turn a natural edge bowl with or without the bark, even. As Jim B. stated, you want to turn a natural edge bowl with the "bark side" up, or stated another way, that part will form the rim. You can use knot holes, voids, bark inclusions or any other feature of the wood to give your bowl some character but it really has nothing to do with "natural edge" bowls.

If you are just starting out, the simplest way to cut a blank for a natural edge bowl is to split the log down the middle, removing the pith while you are at it. Eliminating the pith from the side of the bowl will help prevent cracks. The "flat" edge will end up being the bottom of the bowl and the concave side will be the rim. depending on the size of the log, and also depending on what size bowl you want, you may want to retain the pith. I normally don't remove the pith unless it is a very large log because I don't care if the bowl checks/cracks. I simply fill these cracks. I almost never turn "functional" bowls so all the character I can get in a bowl is welcome.