PDA

View Full Version : Free flat rate boxes - Did I miss the memo?

Randy Klein
10-01-2008, 8:42 PM
Why am I only finding out now that you can order flat rate priority mail boxes of all sizes from the post office for free and they deliver it to you for free as well?

Couldn't someone have told me that earlier?

And while we're talking about it, can someone please inform me of everything else I don't even know that I don't know? Thanks.

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 9:03 PM
And while we're talking about it, can someone please inform me of everything else I don't even know that I don't know? Thanks.

Umm...you mean your significant other doesn't do that already??? :eek:

Art Mulder
10-01-2008, 9:10 PM
Umm...you mean your significant other doesn't do that already??? :eek:

SSHHHHHHHhhhhh! She'll tell him if she wants him to know that... :D

Matt Meiser
10-01-2008, 9:16 PM
Not only that but its not something new--they've been doing it quite a while. But not all of them are flat rate boxes. I think there are 3 or 4 sizes that are flat rate. The rest are based on weight, dimension, and zones. Still a good deal.

You can ask for them at the post office too. Still free there too.

Gary Herrmann
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Why am I only finding out now that you can order flat rate priority mail boxes of all sizes from the post office for free and they deliver it to you for free as well?

For those of us who don't know how to do this...

How do you do this?

David G Baker
10-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Gary,
Go to the US Postal Service Internet site and get educated. (usps dot com)
If you open a shipping account on line through the Post Office's Internet site you can ship Priority Mail cheaper than you can ship items by Parcel Post if you pay and print the label online. Then all you have to do is drop it off at your local Post Office or schedule a pick up through the Internet site.
I have been doing the above for several years now and love it.
The flat rate box price covers up to 70 pounds if you can get the weight into the small boxes or at least it did in the past. There are only a few flat rate box sizes and they aren't very big.

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2008, 1:40 AM
The flat rate box price covers up to 70 pounds if you can get the weight into the small boxes or at least it did in the past. There are only a few flat rate box sizes and they aren't very big.There's a new "large" flat-rate box, about 12.5"x12.5"x8", but it's a couple bucks more to mail than the older/smaller sizes (4x11x14 and 6x8x10, more or less).

Don Eddard
10-02-2008, 4:28 AM
There's a new "large" flat-rate box, about 12.5"x12.5"x8", but it's a couple bucks more to mail than the older/smaller sizes (4x11x14 and 6x8x10, more or less).
Last I checked, the new large flat rate boxes are 12 x 12 x 5.5.

Flat rate box ordering info is here (http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820).

Randy Klein
10-02-2008, 6:35 AM
But not all of them are flat rate boxes. I think there are 3 or 4 sizes that are flat rate. The rest are based on weight, dimension, and zones. Still a good deal.

You can ask for them at the post office too. Still free there too.

More stuff I didn't know.:o

I just went back and ordered the non-flat rate boxes as well.

Randy Klein
10-02-2008, 6:36 AM
Flat rate box ordering info is here (http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820).

Just for confirmation, that is the link I was using.

Mark Patoka
10-02-2008, 8:21 AM
The post office I go to usually has all their free flat rate boxes out so you can take them with you. Of course, they're always willing to sell you their ReadyPost boxes so you may have to ask to get the free ones if they are not out.

Lee DeRaud
10-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Last I checked, the new large flat rate boxes are 12 x 12 x 5.5.Yup, sorry...the 12x12x8 is just regular Priority Mail. The 12x12x5.5 flat-rate is still useful to me: I occasionally have to mail 12x12 granite tiles, and the smaller "shirt" box can only hold one (diagonally).

Robert McGowen
10-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I am :DSURE:D that you already know that the post office person will come to your residence and pick up the priority mail packages for free after you print the postage off of the post office web site. Also, the internet price is discounted from the price that you pay if you actually do take the packages to the post office. I guess it costs the post office more to have to actually interact with you as a customer in person. :rolleyes:

I have a daily UPS pickup account, but still use the postal service for some small stuff as it is so easy to do.

Randy Klein
10-02-2008, 1:56 PM
I am :DSURE:D that you already know that the post office person will come to your residence and pick up the priority mail packages for free after you print the postage off of the post office web site. Also, the internet price is discounted from the price that you pay if you actually do take the packages to the post office.

That I did know and use it often. But thanks for volunteering the info just in case.